Field Electrical Engineer at Innovation Africa
- Company: Innovation Africa
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa in need living in rural African villages. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. iA has completed over 300 solar, water, and agricultural projects, providing light, clean water, food and proper medical care to more than 2 million people in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, South Africa, Uganda, Cameroon, Senegal and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Seeking Hard-Working, Dedicated Problem-Solver Field Electrical Engineer in Tanzania Innovation: Africa
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Tanzania team as an Electrical Engineer to work in the Dodoma Region. This position works under the supervision of the Country Director and is responsible for overseeing iA’s solar electrification projects predominantly at schools and health centers, the technical implementation of iA solar systems including the Energy Box, liaising with local contractors and in-house engineers, as well as providing technical support in all sites post completion. The Electrical Engineer will also be responsible for all iA field activities, including identifying and selecting the beneficiaries of our projects, actively engaging in community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities, providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects. Candidates should expect frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, oversee the construction and implementation of ongoing projects, and monitor completed projects.
Reports To: Local Project Manager & Country Director in Israel
- Oversee all field operations related to solar projects, including prospective project search, project construc- tion/implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Work closely with the local contractor to plan and design all solar electrification systems
- Oversee technical implementation of all solar systems and serve as technical point person for all system designs
- Manage on-site work during all stages of the system design and installation and ensure contractors’ strict adherence to all project timelines
- Independently assess needs for maintenance work (post-installation) in projects where a malfunction exists, and provide sustainable solutions
- Track the progress of ongoing field installation and maintenance activities
- Maintain regular contact with Innovation: Africa’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar technologies and remote monitoring systems
- Research and implementation of best solar equipment in all iA projects
- Support field team and conduct effective community technical trainings and sensitization to all iA solar beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees
- Support the Project Manager to manage relationships with municipal officers, local leaders, and international stakeholders.
- Send daily updates and regular progress reports to international management team regarding prospective projects, construction and implementation of current projects, and monitor existing projects.
The ideal candidate is a dedicated team-player with strong interpersonal skills who has a background in water engineering, community development and mobilization, and working with international stakeholders. The candidate must demonstrate a proven passion for working with the community and possess detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or professional diploma in Electrical Engineering or closely related field with an emphasis on solar, rural electrification projects
- Master’s Degree an advantage
- At least 10 years’ of proven experience working and overseeing rural solar electrification projects
- Experience supervising rural electrification works in NGO community development projects
- Proven experience working with solar powered water pumping systems is a strong advantage
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software
- Driver’s license and off road driving experience
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours, including some weekends
- High proficiency in English; both writing and speaking
- Ability to relocate to Dodoma Region in Tanzania
- Able to speak Swahili and with a good personality
Method of ApplicationPlease send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to [email protected]. The file name should be saved as your full name and please specify which job position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as WhatsApp and Skype. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply