Zanzibar Marine Program Coordinator at Wildlife Conservation Society
- Company: Wildlife Conservation Society
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Zanzibar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Post Title: Contract: Zanzibar Marine Program Coordinator
Supervisor: WCS Marine Program Director
Only candidates with work authorization in Tanzania will be considered.
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) and partners are tackling the issue of deteriorating marine environments in the Western Indian Ocean by working with local communities, Government authorities and private stakeholders to improve management and conservation in coastal waters across Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar. The Western Indian Ocean is a socially and biologically diverse region that contains some of the world’s most extensive and most climate resilient coral reefs and mangroves, which are critical sources of protein, coastal protection, and income to coastal populations. Yet, the integrity of the region’s ecosystems is threatened by the overexploitation of fisheries, habitat clearing, and pollution. These threats are exacerbated by the impacts of climate change, including sea level rise, coral bleaching, and storm events. WCS is leading conservation projects across all major seascapes in Northern Tanzania, including Zanzibar and the proposed Trans-Boundary Conservation Area (TBCA) between southern Kenya and northern Tanzania.
In this context, WCS is seeking a motivated, dynamic, and technically skilled candidate to support implementation and planning of activities in the Zanzibar Archipelago. The role will cover the main aspects of the planning and implementation of community work, ecological monitoring as well as political liaison with local stakeholders and Government authorities. The candidate will have a critical role in supporting the activities of the team in Zanzibar and will contribute to maintaining the critical ecosystems in the region and ensure sustainable livelihoods for coastal communities.
The position is for 1 year with possibility of renewal.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelors’s degree in a marine related subject
• 5 years of working experience
• Master’s degree in a marine related subject
• 3 years of working experience
• Familiarity with working with communities and MPAs
• Good written and spoken English
• Position is Open for Tanzanian Nationals only.
Desired technical experience
• Diving experience and certifications
• Experience in coral reef, mangrove and/or seagrass surveys
• Experience in community surveys
• GIS and spatial analysis (QGIS or ArcGIS)
• Coding in R/Python
Essential and Strategic Functions
The post-holder will work closely with the Marine Program Director and the Zanzibar team to support design, planning and implementation of all conservation activities in Zanzibar.
Specific duties will include the following:
• Support designing, planning, and implementing activities in Zanzibar
• Serving as the point person for all activities in Zanzibar with stakeholders
• Supporting and lead consultations with communities in the process of developing successful small scale fishery management projects
• Coordination, conducting and supervision data collection in the field
• Data entry and analysis as required
• Supervision of WCS interns and consultants working on projects
• Developing Terms of Reference and workplans for consultants involved in the project
• Report writing for WCS, donors, and partners
• Represent WCS in a fit and appropriate manner
The Candidate will be based in Stone Town, Unguja, Zanzibar with frequent field trips in Pemba and occasionally the region, including visiting partner programs in the broader region
The position runs from date of recruitment to June 2023 with the possibility of renewal. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience.
Method of ApplicationQualified candidates should send their Cover letters & CV including 3 referees addressed to WCS Tanzania, County Director at [email protected].
Closing Date : 31st October, 2022.