Zanzibar Director at D-tree
- Company: D-tree
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Zanzibar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Reports to: Director of Program Operations
Location: Stone Town, Zanzibar
Start date: Immediate opening
Who we are
Since 2011, D-tree has partnered with the Zanzibar Ministry of Health to implement an innovative digital health program, Jamii ni Afya (“Community is health”) supporting Community Health Volunteers to provide health services within their communities. This program has consistently demonstrated improved health outcomes, a strengthened community health system, and increased use of data for decision-making. Over time, Jamii ni Afya has grown from a pilot to a national program and has demonstrated how digital technology can transform the quality of a health system. The Zanzibar government has committed to adopt Jamii ni Afya at national scale; integrating digitally-enabled Community Health Volunteers into their formal Community Health Strategy. This represents the world’s first nationally scaled digital community health program, bringing high quality health services to the doorsteps of all of Zanzibar. The digital health program will be fully scaled in July 2021, allowing D-tree to focus on program sustainability, quality and impact.
An important aspect of our work is ongoing government engagement and capacity building to fully transition Jamii ni Afya to the government in terms of financial & political, technology & data and program & operational management. We are in the process of finalizing a transition plan together with the Zanzibar government which outlines their commitment to taking on significant responsibility for the program, resulting in full government ownership and management by 2026. While we are committed to the institutionalization of Jamii ni Afya, we are also working to further realize the potential of digital health to strengthen the broader primary health system in Zanzibar, acting as a key trusted partner to the government as they explore how the health system can continue to be strengthened. This is an exciting opportunity to help deepen and expand our work and impact.
Who you are
We are seeking a full time Zanzibar Director, based in Stone Town, Zanzibar, to manage D-tree’s Zanzibar portfolio, which consists of multiple funding streams supporting the Zanzibar government to integrate digital technology into their primary health system.
Team Leadership (30%)
Lead the Zanzibar team by empowering local leaders; fostering a collaborative, inclusive and high-performing environment; and building capacity for long-term success.
· Directly supervise 4-6 staff, including team leads who are supervising staff in various roles and oversee the entire Zanzibar team (currently 12 employees)
· Mentor and coach mid-level staff to increasingly take on leadership roles, effectively supervise their teams, and be accountable for program outcomes and work in a coordinated way across units
· Foster a positive, collaborative and effective environment in which all staff feel empowered, energized, supported and aligned with program and organizational goals
· Develop team building and professional development opportunities for staff and engage in frequent feedback sessions to gauge staff satisfaction and identify areas for further improvement
· Strategize and plan for long term staffing needs for the Zanzibar program including supporting the recruitment and onboarding processes and seamlessly integrate new staff into the team
· Communicate the importance and global relevance of our work to keep the team motivated and focused on the big picture of what we are accomplishing
Government Integration & Sustainability (30%)
· Be accountable for the institutionalization of D-tree’s work into government health systems; this includes supervision and close collaboration with three senior staff who are each responsible for one of the main areas of government transition for Jamii ni Afya: financial & political, program & operations, and technology & data
· Cultivate strong working relationships with senior government officials and keep them apprised of D-tree’s work and plans
· Working with the three senior staff responsible for main areas of government transition, be accountable for the execution of the Jamii ni Afya transition plan which includes clear milestones for each year, resulting in full government ownership of Jamii ni Afya by 2026 in areas of finances & political leadership, program & operations, and technology & data
· Articulate and actualize a vision for the potential of digital health and garner government commitment and excitement over expanding digital health systems in Zanzibar
· Stay abreast of government plans, policies and strategies to align D-tree work within government systems
Program Oversight & Development (25%)
· Be accountable for the success of D-tree’s Zanzibar portfolio, including high-quality work and measurable impact
· Serve as a member of D-tree’s executive team to ensure Zanzibar programs are aligned with the direction of the organization and contribute to organization-wide decision-making
· Identify key health system challenges in Zanzibar, prioritize health areas of focus to address in current or future programs, and develop strategies that apply or expand upon D-tree’s areas of expertise to tackle the problems
· Set and refine program strategies, with a focus on health systems strengthening and building local capacity
· Stay abreast of progress on holistic program objectives; ensure staff and partners are kept on track and informed of progress and challenges maximizing ability to achieve results
· Ensure teams are on track to meet performance goals (including setting team and individual objectives and goals that help achieve program success)
· Be accountable for financial stewardship of donor funds and have working knowledge of budgets
· Work with the global support team to design new projects, iterate and expand existing programs and contribute to funding proposals that move the organization towards achievement of D-tree’s 5-year strategic plan
Strategic Partnership Building (15%)
· Stay abreast of the field of global health (with a focus on community/primary health and digital health) to align our work with global best practices and contribute to global dialogue
· Strategically engage with potential partners and/or funders and identify alignment between D-tree’s vision and donor and partner priorities to highlight new funding opportunities
· Lead communication with in-country partners on a regular basis and during review meetings
· Maintain and advance D-tree’s reputation as an active and reliable health partner in Zanzibar by sharing plans and results regularly and employing a collaborative approach with other partners
· Represent D-tree to senior government officials and with NGO partners, including the Zanzibar Development Partners Group
· Present D-tree’s work in an exciting and inspiring way, linking our programs to the broader field of global and digital health, at meetings and fora/conferences
· Strategically identify and coordinate among various partners (such as research entities, local organizations, etc.) to maximize impact of donor funding towards program goals
What we’re looking for
The following attributes are a general overview, but we will consider individuals who do not meet all of the details below if you have the right skill set and attitude.
· Minimum 10 years work experience with 7 years in leadership positions specifically with a digital, primary health and /or health system strengthening focus
· Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. public health, global development)
· Experience strategically engaging with governments and supporting transition of donor programs to government systems (ideally with health programs)
· Experience managing, motivating and mentoring a large, multi-cultural team and demonstrated success in cultivating a positive, empowering environment for all team members
· Minimum 2 years’ experience living in a low- or middle-income country (Tanzania or East Africa preferred)
· Superior analytical skills; ability to think logically and rationally about problems and solution oriented
· Must be able to handle complex priorities, collaborate effectively with a distributed team, be persistent and work under tight deadlines with minimal supervision
· Experience developing and implementing strategies to efficiently expand and scale programs, while maintaining program quality
· Excellent written and spoken English required; Swahili preferred
· Experience cultivating diverse donor relationships (such as UN agencies, US government, private foundations)
· Committed to spending 3 or more years in Zanzibar
$70,000-$110,000 annual salary (or equivalent) inclusive of all cash compensation. Payment will be made in local currency for local nationals.
Note: Salary scales are set according to an explicit compensation policy, and relevant market data is analyzed when setting ranges for each role. To ensure internal parity, D-tree will analyze the candidate’s overall number of years of experience as well as relevant technical expertise pertaining to the position and in comparison with staff in the same job group to make the offer salary. Because salary ranges are small and the internal parity review is thorough, offers are firm.
To apply for this role please follow the instructions below. Applications which do not meet these requirements will not be considered. Please note that by applying to this position, you consent to your name being checked against a terrorist watch list prior to an offer of employment.
To apply for this position, please fill in the form here: Zanzibar Director
D-tree is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and strongly encourages candidates from sub-Saharan Africa to apply.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th October, 2023.