Web (Site) Editor at The Guardian/Nipashe
- Company: The Guardian/Nipashe
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Web (Site) Editor – The Guardian/Nipashe
Dar es Salaam
This position requires a digital savvy bilingual journalist obsessed with using data 8 insights to generate engaging content and build audiences across multiple platforms.
- She/He should have a proven track record in creating targeted, interactive web 8 social media content, managing online communities and converting casual readers and followers into engaged fans.
- As an audience-first digital journalist, she/he should be obsessed with quality, clarity, accuracy and speed and should also be comfortable with various content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, CoreMedia), analytics tools (Chartbeat, Google Analytics) and footprint 8 impact trackers (Keyhole, Hootsuite).
- Using audience data to refine content strategies for news, features and special projects for TGL’s YouTube and social media pages, focusing on mobile-first delivery.
- Developing monthly content calendars (outside events stories)for guardian.co.tz, ensuring a consistent pipeline of original digital reporting and exclusive web stories.
- Uploading 8 distribute articles (text, visuals 8 audios) to guardian.co.tz and other TGL sites and social media channels
- Ensuring accurate and timely content delivery for distinct/specialised audiences.
- Editing headlines and copy for websites, video 8 social media platforms utilising SEO bestpractices (use of metadata, tags, keywords, internal linking, optimised media).
- Championing the use of videos and interactive photographs across TGL websites 8 social media pages
- Ensuring content is of evidently publishable quality.
- Prioritizing web coverage to focus on readership (engagement) and impact, giving prominence to content demonstratingconfirmed newsworthiness and clarity.
- Developing and deploying new content formats, including new segments for existing TGL video platforms (YouTube 8 Instagram), interactive stories and visualisations.
- Researching and cultivating 8 operationalised new digital distribution platforms for TGLcontent (e.g. TikTok, Discord), working closely with managing editors, on Online 8 New Content.
- Cultivating and effectively managing relationships with various sources and stakeholders to ensure that
newsmakers talk digital-first.
- Serving as digital liaison and champion with TGL’s various news desks 8 content team, helping them learn to deliver news for digital platforms first.
- Generating and disseminating creative multimedia content in keeping with changing news landscape realities and convergence requirements.
- Researching, preparing and producing content for TGL online publications
- Reacting to stories trending on social media and making live presentations on TGL Digital, informing the public on the same
- Website management and Content Management Systems
(CMS) – updating TGL’s websites on a 24-hour cycle to meet targets for assigned sub-sections
- Proofreadingand editing online copy for newspaper websites.
- Ensuring all articles and posts observe correct grammar and style guidelines.
- Testing website usability and appearance for attractiveness and errors.
- Designing new features for website to increase user engagement.
- Monitoring website communications to discern and forestall problems
- Integrating SEO (search engine optimisation) and improving content to maximise effectiveness
- Fulfilling any other duties or responsibilities assigned by head of unit.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism/Mass Communication or equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Three years’working experience, preferably in a newsroom or other media environment in progressively responsible editorial or content production roles.
- Expertise relating to digital audiences, content creation and distribution using various CMSes, editing 8 sharing video (Premier Pro, Final Cut, MimoLIVE).
Method of ApplicationApply online via email address: [email protected] by 31st October, 2023.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contactedfor an interview.
Please, note that The Guardian Limited is an equal opportunity employer.