Wash Officer Engineer at Norwegian Refugee Council
- Company: Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
Job Title: WASH Officer Engineer
Reporting to: WASH Project Coordinator
Supervises: WASH Technical Assistants Water supply.
Duty Station : Nyarugusu/Kasulu/Kigoma
Duration and type of contract: 9 months with possible extension
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Job Purpose Summary
Main purpose of the position is to ensure effective planning and quality implementation of the Water activities in Nyarugusu refugee camp. He/she will also work closely with the other project officers and assistants in the field to ensure equitable water distribution and will assist the PC in overall planning and design of (future) projects. He/she will also stand in for the WASH PC in absence and provide program support as required.
- Help plan and carry out need’s assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- Help plan activities to reduce WASH-related risks.
- Collate data from the incentive workers and prepare regular reports on activities and WASH conditions for monitoring.
- Coordinate with the other Officers to ensure that the various aspects of the WASH response are integrated.
- Coordinate activities of WASH implementing partners, together with other UN agencies, governmental and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and other partners to ensure delivery of WASH services to beneficiaries (PoC and host community) meets UNHCR and /or nationally recognized and most up-to-date standards and policies.
- Preparation of the project reports in a timely manner, guidelines and other strategic documentation.
- Oversee installation and rehabilitation of water facilities ensuring quality and as per specified technical drawings.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH services and facilities.
- Participate in the requests for project materials; undertake technical verification of project materials upon delivery and organize for branding where necessary and also call for distribution to the beneficiaries.
- Development of rapid response and contingency plans.
- Assess and advise on capacity building needs within the team to ensure effective developments of the quality standards for the Sanitation activities.
- Carry out informal and formal training sessions (according to identified needs) and evaluate the impacts of this training.
- To assist and participate in community mobilization.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme.
- Help in design of the water reticulation system for equitable water supply within the camp.
- Provide timely feedback on activity progress and advice on any challenges.
- Recruit, train, and manage incentive workers (plumbers, water quality, chlorinators, and masons) including performance appraisal.
- Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities together with other CCs Project Officer in the assigned camp.
- Overall supervision of the incentive team in charge of project materials storage and distribution to ensure enough stock.
- Advice the project coordinator on available stock and plan for restocking upon depletion of the stock.
- Supervise water activities in line with relevant standards, codes of conduct, and humanitarian principles.
- Use participatory approaches as a far as possible throughout the programme cycle, in training, and in the use of tool kits and other materials.
- Supervise Water Project activities and resources so that they are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
- Take account of gender, protection, HIV, the environment, and other important cross-cutting concerns in programme design, implementation, and reporting; carry out activities in a way that reflects the needs of specific groups and individuals e.g. elderly people, minority groups, children, and people with disabilities.
- Any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Project Coordinator or Project Manager
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Technical background in Civil engineering, water resources, Environmental engineering, or similar relevant discipline.
- Proven practical experience in the planning and execution of WASH Programmes of at least 3 years’ experience in a humanitarian and development programme preferably with an INGO.
- Knowledge in electromechanics will be an added advantage.
- Experience in undertaking water engineering in a relief programme is essential.
- Proven ability to use EPANET, AutoCAD, MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Experience in implementation of technical works in water resources engineering is an added advantage.
- Ability to initiate, develop, plan, and implement an integrated programme.
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information.
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Possession of strong administrative and management skills with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures.
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff and target groups
- Political and cultural awareness.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; fluency or Kiswahili is highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Understanding of international health and development and relief issues
- Sensitivity to the needs and priorities of disadvantaged populations (minority groups etc.)
- Demonstrated experience of integrating gender and diversity issues into WASH Programming.
This position is open to Tanzania National Only. ”Female candidates are encouraged to apply”.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 17th March, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE