Wash Assistant at Danish Refugee Council
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kibondo Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Tanzania
Danish Refugee Council – Tanzania
WASH Assistant-Hygiene Promotion – NATIONAL POSITION (01)
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an international non-governmental organization which provides assistance and promotes durable solutions for refugees and internally displaced people, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights.
Danish Refugee Council is a humanitarian actor in Tanzania. Since 2015, as part of the Burundian Refugee Response in Tanzania, DRC works in the sectors of camp management, community-based protection, livelihoods, protections, WASH, General Food Distributions and shelter/ small infrastructure in Nduta & Mtendeli camps, Also DRC is implementing Camp management, Community based protection and Livelihoods projects in Nyarugusu refugee camp.
Categories: WASH Assistant-Hygiene Promotion
Location: Nduta camp, Kibondo
Start Date: ASAP
Duration: Until 31-12-2020
PURPOSE: The WASH Assistant under the management and supervision of the WASH Manager and Hygiene and Sanitation Officer will be responsible to implement different activities of DRC related WASH program to ensure the program’s objectives are achieved. The mainly activities will include
• To provide day to day hygiene promotion activities through supervising the Community Health Promotors who are working directly with refugees to ensure that they provide knowledge, to change altitude and adaptation of good hygiene practices led to reduce the transmission of communicable diseases as well as to ensure that POCs are received and use properly the distributed various hygiene kits at Nduta camp and surrounding host communities.
• To provide managerial function during execution of WASH project in order to ensure the highest quality standards directly in line with SPHERE Standards.
• Work with local leaders at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
• Work with the Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for sanitation and hygiene promotion.
• Mobilization of beneficiary/communities to maintain the established/rehabilitated WASH facilities.
• Formation and training of Water supply and sanitation committee for the established or rehabilitated water sources.
• Participate in collection of useful data success stories and beneficiary lists as required.
• Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budget for donors.
• To support Hygiene and Sanitation officers in leading the training to the WASH committee (Refugees) related to hygiene and sanitation issues.
• Supporting Hygiene and Sanitation officers in leading the WASH distribution team in the distribution of various hygiene kits in order to serve in a proper way.
• Together with the Hygiene and Sanitation Officer, WASH Assistant is required to do proper daily supervision that selected community hygiene promotors are working properly to ensure that the area is open defecation free (ODF) zones, adequate latrines are constructed and used by all communities as well as handwashing practice done so that communicable diseases are eliminated.
• Assist WASH Officers in inspection of sanitary facilities in household latrines, family shared latrines as bathing shelters to ensure that they are in operational.
• To ensure that all work is carried out in a way that is sensitive to community needs and gender issues. In particular, to promote the full and equal participation of women in all aspects of the work and to ensure that DRC’s response is in line with the needs of the refugees.
• To ensure that work aims to meet Minimum Standards and adheres to DRC’s emergency guidelines and protocols.
• Assists the partners/communities in identifying their capacity building needs and facilitate appropriate capacity building measures (formal and informal means) to enhance local capacity and programme sustainability.
• Conduct training to CHPs to make sure that they have enough skills to conduct hygiene promotion activities to the relevant communities.
• Work in close collaboration with partner agency and the local authorities to ensure that participatory approaches are used throughout the project cycle management.
• Representation of DRC at WASH exercises in the field.
• Ensure integration of WASH activities with other DRC sectors.
• Coordinate with WASH counterparts in Nduta camp in the implementation of common funded projects.
• Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels.
• Actively participate in internal coordination meeting in the camps and other locations when needed.
• Together with the WASH Team Leader, initiate development of project concept notes and proposal documents in respect to water, hygiene and sanitation.
• Develop the project’s M & E tools for monitoring water, sanitation and hygiene promoters at community level.
• Develop data base system and data collection tools and ensure quality data collection, data entry and undertake analysis and produce reports.
• Ensure hygiene and sanitation standards are met in accordance to SPHERE, UNHCR and Tanzania National standards.
• Prepare WASH daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually reports and timely submission to relevant authorities.
• Work with Community based Hygiene Promoters and local leaders to ensure proper dissemination of information on WASH issues to beneficiaries for improvement.
• Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
• Develop and agree on own performance objectives, targets and ensure appraisals are conducted on the set targets as required.
• Conduct daily field visits to support other field staff on implementation of WASH.
• Support the WASH Officers (Water Engineer & Hygiene and Sanitation Officers) to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow-ups on daily/weekly/annual basis especially on WASH implemented activities.
• Initiate procurements and make follow up with the line supervisor to ensure their execution.
• Contribute to grant management of all WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
• Execute other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Minimum of Diploma in Public Health, Environmental Health, Environmental Science or Community Development specialized/experienced in WASH related course from recognized institution. Bachelor’s degree is an added advantage.
• Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards.
• At least 2 years relevant work experience.
• Ability and commitment to maintain confidentiality, respect, non-discrimination and safety of refugees at all times;
• Ability to communicate in English and write reports in English.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Excellent skills in report writing and meeting deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity and flexibility.
• Flexibility in working hours when needed.
• Computer literacy (Microsoft Word and Excel, internet, outlook).
• Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure.
• Previous experience in international organizations and humanitarian settings.
• Previous experience working with refugees or IDPs or other vulnerable populations.
Female are highly encouraged to apply.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Application Deadline: 03 April, 2020