Vice-Chancellor at SUZA
- Company: SUZA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Zanzibar Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
THE STATE UNIVERSITY OF ZANZIBAR
VACANCY FOR THE POSITION OF VICE-CHANCELLOR
The State University of Zanzibar (SUZA) is the only Public University in Zanzibar established by Act No. 8 of the House of Representatives of 1999. which has been amended by Act No. 11 of 2009 and further amended by Act No. 7 of 2016 and Act No. 1 part 4 of 2019. Since Its inception in 2002 It has been expanding in academic programmes as well as student enrolment. Its vision is to be the most preferred University in the Eastern Africa.
The Council of the State University of Zanzibar seeks to recruit Vice-Chancellor from suitably qualified and competent Zanzibari with excellent credentials.
Qualifications and Experience:
The candidate should possess the following qualifications and experience.
- Should be a person of high standing in the community with academic prowess and proven administrative ability.
- Be a holder of PhD degree from a recognized higher learning institution.
- Have attained the status of at least Senior Academician in teaching and research from the University recognized in Tanzania.
- Possess at least ten (10) years working experience in higher learning institutions of which at least five (5) years in administrative position.
- Have thorough knowledge of the structural, legislative and regulatory framework for administering University Education in Tanzania.
- Have a capacity to promote learning and extension in a competitive educational environment.
- Have ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate academic and administrative functions.
- Proven capacity to promote learning, teaching, research and development in higher learning institutions.
- Knowledge of national laws and policies in education, public service laws and proven capacity to impose harmony of work force in the University.
- Be of high ethical standards. Integrity and professionalism and adhere to national Constitution on leadership and Integrity.
Tenure of Service:
The Vice-Chancellor shall serve the office for a term of four (4) years and may be re- appointed for another term of four (4) years subject to the Council recommendations and approval of the Chancellor on evidence of expected performance.
According to the State University of Zanzibar salary scales based on educational rank.
Duties and responsibilities
The Vice-Chancellor shall be required to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Academic and administrative head of the University.
- Responsible to the Council for the implementation of the decisions and directives of the Council and to all matters pertaining to the academic, administrative and financial activities of the University.
- Responsible for development and formulation of appropriate policies.
- Responsible for development of strategic alliances with Government, industry, local and international institutions both in academic and non-academic matters.
- Required to provide strategic direction and leadership to the University and represent the University nationally, regionally and internationally.
- Required to provide innovative and creative leadership in the areas of Academics. Fundraising. Finance. Budgeting. Planning and Development. Research and Partnerships.
- Required to co-ordinate the development and implementation of the academic and administrative policies of the University in accordance with the University’s Strategic Plan.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the higher authorities of the University or the Government.
Method of ApplicationApplicants should submit six (6) copies of up-to-date and detailed curriculum vitae (detailing academic qualifications, awards/scholarship/funding membership to professional associations and linkages), copies of relevant certificates, e-mail addresses and telephone contacts.
They should also provide names, e-mail, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three referees and request the referees to forward their confidential reports to the undersigned directly.
Six (6) copies of the application and referees confidential report on the applicant’s suitability for the post should be sent via registered mall or courier in an envelope marked “Application for the position of Vice-Chancellor” and reference number on left-hand side of the envelope.
For security and reliability purposes, only hard copies applications are accepted. However, reference letters from referees are liable for online submission. Applications should be addressed to:
State University of Zanzibar,
P. O. Box 146, Zanzlbar-Tanzanla
E-mail: [email protected]
The deadline for submitting the application is 03 August 2021.