Trial Support Assistant, FS-4 at United Nations
- Company: United Nations
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Trial Support Assistant, FS-4 (duration 31 December 2020)
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 13 September 2020
OFFICE : Office of the Prosecutor
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2020/TJO/IRMCT/OTP/170-FS
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational setting and Reporting:
This position is located in Office of the Prosecutor, of the IRMCT Arusha branch, under the supervision of the Senior Pre-Trial Attorney on the Kabuga trial team and/or the Officer-in-Charge.
Administrative Assistance: The incumbent provides daily administrative assistance to the investigation team in administration of the Prosecutor’s case. S/He gives guidance to new staff on unit procedures and briefs them on general administrative matters. Maintains contact with unit members and trial team members to ensure that sufficient operational support is provided to the team and the unit. Attends team meetings and assists in timely and accurate dissemination of information to other unit staff.
Assistance to Staff: Receives and maintains log of daily filings, including confidential and public filings from Registry. S/He liaises with the Case Manager to ensure timely distribution of filings. S/He maintains appropriate electronic and physical systems for the retrieval and dissemination of documents to be used by the Case Manager and the trial team. Co-ordinates the monthly reporting of trial statistics and provides instructions and guidance to junior level staff. S/He provides interim administrative support to trial team in preparation for trials (i.e., preparation of disclosure, witness binders, exhibits and identification and retrieval of documents). Replace Case Manager in court, as required.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Demonstrates commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
High school diploma or equivalent; demonstrated ability to use computer technology.
Minimum of six (6) years progressively responsible experience as a paralegal or in a court related environment. Case management practice and litigation experience desirable. Management of filing systems for both physical and electronic documentation also highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of Kinyarwanda is highly desirable. Working knowledge of French and/or Kiswahili is an advantage.
United Nations International Residual
Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Method of Application
- Staff at the FS-3 and FS-4 level are eligible to apply. Applications from GS staff will be considered as external.
- Interested staff members must complete a UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable via Inspira personal accounts or the IRMCT website and submit together with a cover letter. Please submit all documents including the last two e-PAS/ePerformance appraisal to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject line.
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a staff member for the position. Please note, only short listed candidate(s) will be informed of the outcome
NOTE FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES:
- External applicants must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable from the IRMCT website (www.irmct.org) or from your personal Inspira account and forward electronically to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject line. Please note, CVs cannot be accepted.
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a staff member for the position.
- Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be notified of the final decision.
NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The appointment is limited to the IRMCT. Extension of the appointment is subject to the extension of the mandate and/or the availability of funds. IRMCT is a smoke free environment.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE AT MIDNIGHT (THE HAGUE TIME) ON THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ONLY THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE OUTCOME.
The deadline for submitting the application is 13 September, 2020.