Translator/Reviser (Kinyarwanda), P-4 at IRMCT
- Company: IRMCT
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
TEMPORARY JOB OPENING (Duration until 31 December 2021) Translator/Reviser (Kinyarwanda), P-4
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 16 February 2021 DATE OF ISSUANCE : 09 February 2021
OFFICE : Registry / LSS
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2021/TJO/IRMCT/REG/LSS/192-P
Organizational setting and Reporting:
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
This position is located in the Language Support Services of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT), Arusha Branch. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of Head of the Section.
*Appointment of the successful candidate to this position will be subject to budgetary approval.
The incumbent of the post translates and/or revises a variety of texts from French and English into Kinyarwanda and from Kinyarwanda into French, respecting the deadlines and using the appropriate terminology. S/he should be capable of working independently to a large extent. S/he must further aim at a high standard of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original; observes the established terminology and usage; ensures, as far as possible, consistency with other translations produced by the Service. Uses all sources of reference, information and consultation relevant to the text at hand and carries out any research required. Must maintain a certain speed and volume of output, due account being taken of the difficulty of the text and the specified deadline. S/he counsels translators with a view to refining their skills and overall performance and assists them in solving particularly difficult problems which require specialized knowledge and linguistic insight. Identifies new terminology material and submits it for the consideration of colleagues. Any ad hoc functions as required.
- Professionalism – Good writing skills; high standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original text; good grasp of the subject matter; ability to use all sources of references, consultation and information relevant to the text at hand; ability to maintain an adequate speed and volume of output, taking into account the complexity of the text and the specific deadline. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team
- Planning and Organising – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organisational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession. Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally. Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates. Shows willingness to learn from others. Seeks feedback to learn and
Advanced university degree from a university or from an institution of equivalent status in translation. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Minimum of 7 year experience in translation/ revision, preferably in the context of the United Nations or an international organisation. Some degree of specialization in subjects with which the Mechanism deals, i.e. legal. familiarity with terminology databases and knowledge of relevant computer software is an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, the incumbent should have Kinyarwanda as a mother tongue, a perfect command of French and an excellent command of English.
Method of ApplicationInternal staff at the P3 or P-4 level who meet the requirements are eligible to Interested candidates must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable via personal Inspira accounts (in PDF format) or the IRMCT website. Please submit all documents including the PHP, a Cover Letter, and the last two e-PAS’s (for internal candidates) ELECTRONICALLY AS ONE DOCUMENT to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject
Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a candidate for the Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be notified of the final NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
NOTE FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES:
- External applicants must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable from the IRMCT website (www.irmct.org) or from your personal Inspira account and forward electronically to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject line. Please note, CVs cannot be
- Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a staff member for the
- Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be notified of the final