Translator (Kinyarwanda), P-3 at IRMCT
- Company: IRMCT
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
TEMPORARY JOB OPENING (Duration initial period of 3 months)
Translator (Kinyarwanda), P-3
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 17 May 2021
DATE OF ISSUANCE : 04 May 2021
OFFICE : Registry/ Language Support Services
LOCATION : Arusha
JOB OPENING NUMBER : 2021/TJO/IRMCT/REG/LSS/202-P
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Organizational setting and Reporting:
This position is located in the Language Support Services, Registry, Arusha Branch and reports to the Head of LSS.
The incumbent of the post translates, subject to minimal revision, a variety of texts from French and English into Kinyarwanda and from Kinyarwanda into French, respecting deadlines and using appropriate terminology. S/he must further aim at a high standard of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original; observes established terminology and usage; ensures, as far as possible, consistency with other translations produced by the Service or other translators working on the same document. Uses all sources of reference, information and consultation relevant to the text at hand and carries out any research required. Must maintain a certain speed and volume of output, due account being taken of the difficulty of the text and the specified deadline. Identifies new terminology material and submits it for the consideration of revisers. Any ad hoc functions as required.
- Professionalism – Good writing skills; high standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the spirit, style and nuances of the original text; good grasp of the subject matter; ability to use all sources of reference, consultation and information relevant to the text at hand; ability to maintain an adequate speed and volume of output, taking into account the difficulty of the text and the specified Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession. Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally. Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates. Shows willingness to learn from others. Seeks feedback to learn and improve.
Advanced degree from a university or from an institution of equivalent status in translation. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Minimum of 5 years of translation experience, preferably in the context of the United Nations or an international organisation. Some degree of specialization in subjects with which the Mechanism deals, i.e. legal. Familiarity with terminology databases and knowledge of relevant computer software is an asset. Experience in revision is an asset.
English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, the incumbent should have Kinyarwanda as a mother tongue, a perfect command of French and an excellent command of English.
Method of ApplicationInternal staff at the P2 or P-3 level who meet the requirements are eligible to
Interested candidates must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable via personal Inspira accounts (in PDF format) or the IRMCT website. Please submit all documents including the PHP, a Cover Letter, and the last two e-PAS’s (for internal candidates) ELECTRONICALLY AS ONE DOCUMENT to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject line.
Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a candidate .
Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be notified of the final NOTE FOR PREVIOUSLY ROSTERED CANDIDATES
Roster candidates must express their interest and availability for published job openings by submitting an updated PHP and cover letter.
NOTE FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES:
External applicants must complete the UN Personal History Profile (PHP) form obtainable from the IRMCT website (www.irmct.org) or from your personal Inspira account and forward electronically to the [email protected] in-box. Please indicate the job opening number in the subject Please note, CVs cannot be accepted.
Once received, a list of candidates who meet the requirements of the post will be sent to the supervisor, who will prepare a written comparative analysis of the candidates and recommend a staff member for the position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be notified of the final.
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE AT MIDNIGHT (THE HAGUE TIME) ON THE CLOSING DATE WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. ONLY THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE OUTCOME.