Trade & Investment Specialist at DAI Global
- Company: DAI Global
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Position Title: Trade & Investment Specialist
Contract No: 7200AA21C00056
Period of Performance: Date of Approval – June 30, 2026
Place of Performance: Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
Contract Type: Long-term technical assistance (LTTA)
The USAID Africa Trade and Investment (ATI) program is designed to bolster the U.S. Government’s ability to boost trade and investment to, from, and within the African continent. The continent-wide program is USAID’s flagship effort in support of the Prosper Africa initiative and will expand and accelerate two-way trade and investment between African nations and the United States.
Driven by market demand, ATI embraces innovative approaches to achieve its goals. ATI is designed as a small, core set of centrally coordinated technical and institutional support activities, and a large, flexible performance-based subcontracting and grants under contract facility designed to support the needs and opportunities that USAID Missions and the private sector identify.
USAID/Tanzania Mission is creating multiple private sector partnerships under the ATI program through discrete project specific funding on activities aligned to the Mission’s trade and investment priorities. The Mission is also planning to establish partnerships aimed at enhancing food security and resilience targeting fertilizer and edible oils.
Supporting USAID/Tanzania’s need to effectively generate, implement, monitor, and promote these partnerships will require a full-time, in-country dedicated support to coordinate these activities. Below is the description and key duties for the position.
The Trade & Investment Specialist will work closely with USAID/Tanzania to support effectively generating, implementing, monitoring, and promoting multiple private sector partnerships across the ATI program. This role will serve as a facilitator to ensure seamless coordination between USAID/Tanzania and the ATI team on all ATI partnerships through USAID/Tanzania funding including, but not limited to, supporting grant pipeline generation, proposal review and prospective partner due diligence, regulatory compliance (including environmental), partnership implementation support, and a customized generation of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Plans designed to address USAID Performance Plan Report (PPR) and Development Information Solution (DIS) requirements as well as other USAID/Tanzania reporting needs. The Trade & Investment Specialist will also provide relevant ad hoc support to USAID/Tanzania’s Economic Growth Office, and keep his/her USAID Mission Point of Contact (POC) regularly updated on his/her work.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Support USAID/Tanzania’s collaboration with and contributions to the ATI program.
On behalf of USAID/Tanzania, contribute to ATI’s partner identification and selection, including:
- Review and contribute to solicitation documents (e.g., ATI’s Tanzania APS Addendum)
- Coordinate the review of concept notes and applications with the ATI team, on behalf of USAID/Tanzania
- Ensure ATI procedures and USAID’s regulatory requirements are consistently followed.
- Ensure clarity and cohesion between USAID/Tanzania and ATI as proposals are reviewed and awarded.
- Maintain a list of stakeholders in government, the private sector, and donor community.
Support ATI activity implementation and ATI partnerships, including:
- Communicate with partners to understand key partnership issues, successes, obstacles, or failures, as requested.
- Take guidance from USAID/Tanzania and/or ATI to help partnerships succeed.
- In collaboration with the ATI Team, provide all needed support for partnership site visits, including but not limited to scheduling meetings; providing logistical support (i.e., providing directions, accommodations, etc.); drafting agendas, talking points, and speeches.
- Under the guidance of and collaboration with the ATI Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) team, closely monitor partner progress through quarterly site visits and tracking key results for reporting across all formats, including PPRs, DIS and custom formats.
Collaborate with ATI staff to provide regular updates to USAID/Tanzania, including:
- Create and continuously update a partnership tracker in Microsoft Excel which reflects updated key partnership information.
- Prepare weekly or bi-weekly call agendas including key accomplishments over the prior week and goals for upcoming week.
- Prepare regular PowerPoint presentations for USAID/Tanzania with the updated ATI grant pipeline, status of activity/grant implementation, partner needs, and progress towards targets and goals.
Provide USAID/Tanzania Economic Growth support and expertise across but not limited to the following sectors: private, financial, MSME, and trade. This will include but is not limited to the following:
- Provide general trade, financial sector, and private sector support as identified and needed by the USAID/Tanzania’s Private Sector and Economic Growth team.
- Provide guidance on the African Growth and Opportunities Act (AGOA) to strengthen and expand bilateral trade and investment between the United States and Tanzania.
- Conduct targeted research and provide reports as requested.
- Study the USAID/Tanzania portfolio and recommend synergies between partnerships and existing programming.
Inform USAID/Tanzania of opportunities and challenges related to ATI programming, including recommendations across the ATI ecosystem to increase results, ensuring USAID/Tanzania needs are sufficiently met.
Any other role as may be required from time to time by the USAID/Tanzania
The Trade & Investment Specialist will work closely with USAID/Tanzania, acting on their behalf and at their direction to provide strategic guidance and input to the ATI program. S/he will provide day to day updates to the USAID Mission POC about ATI activities and other activities as requested. While USAID/Tanzania will provide strategic oversight to the Trade & Investment Specialist, the ATI program will daily coordinate with the Specialist to ensure all aspects of the ATI Tanzania Buy-in progress in a well-coordinated and efficient manner.
Below are the qualifications and experience required for this position:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, business, marketing or other commensurate professional degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional work experience
- Strong finance and private sector development skills
- Proven project management and interpersonal skills, including strong experience with client management.
- Strong analytical, organizational, written, and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize tasks and work efficiently.
- Solutions-oriented, customer-service motivated team player who is also able to work independently and on own initiative.
- Ability to work in a fast-moving, fluid team setting with multiple stakeholders.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Swahili
PERIOD OF PERFORMANCE
Contracts are for a period of 1 year with an option for renewal based on performance and buy-in funding. The position is anticipated to be hired for about three years ending on or around June 30, 2026.
PLACE OF PERFORMANCE
The position will be based in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania with travel to USAID/Tanzania programming locations within the country. Applicants must be based in Dar es Salaam and able to meet USAID staff in person on short notice as requested.
DAI Organization and Values
DAI is a global development company with corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, EU, Nigeria, Pakistan, and Palestine and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
DAI and its employees are committed to confronting racism and holding ourselves accountable for positive change within the company and in the communities, cultures, and countries in which we live and work. DAI is committed to attracting and retaining the best employees from all races and backgrounds in our continued effort to become a better development partner. DAI upholds the highest ethical standards. We are committed to the prevention of sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment as well as other ethical breaches. All of our positions are therefore subject to stringent vetting and reference checks.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Upon clicking on the link below, the link will take you to the Formsite application page. Once at the Formsite page, write in your contact information and then in the drop down menu for selecting the position to apply, scroll down to the Trade and Investment Specialist position. This will take you to the next page where you will review the job description, complete the screening questions and upload CV. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as interviews will be conducted soon. Please note, due to the volume of applications that we receive and the urgency to fill-up positions, only shortlisted applicants will receive notification on next steps.
Interested candidates should submit their application no later than August 5, 2023.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 8th August, 2023.