Technical Officer at FHI 360
- Company: FHI 360
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Shinyanga
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Tanzania
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff include experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology; creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries. Currently, we are seeking suitably qualified candidates to fill in Technical Officer DREAMS in Shinyanga for its EpiC project in Tanzania.
The Meeting Targets and Maintaining Epidemic Control (EpiC) is a 5 year global project funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), dedicated to achieving and maintaining HIV epidemic control. The project provides strategic technical assistance and direct service delivery to break through barriers to 95-95-95 and promote self-reliant management of national HIV programs by improving HIV case-finding, prevention, and treatment programming. In Tanzania, EpiC will be implementing an HIV service delivery project among key and priority populations, adolescent girls and young women; and orphans and vulnerable children which aims to reduce HIV infections in pursuit of reaching 95-95-95 goals. To achieve this goal, the program will support targeted prevention and case finding strategies at community level amongst the targeted populations.
The TO-DREAMS (Determined, Resilient, Empowered, AIDS-free, Mentored and Safe) will Oversee and coordinate the provision a combination prevention package of evidence-supported biomedical, behavioral and structural interventions to AGYW ages 15-24 years to reduce their vulnerability to HIV. He/She will design and provid technical oversight of DREAMS activities at the community level which increase health seeking behaviors, expand access to safe spaces and adolescent-friendly services and improve the overall wellbeing of AGYW and their families at the community level. The TO -DREAMS woll ensure all activities are implemented in line with USAID/PEPFAR standards for DREAMS programming, EpiC guidelines and GoT policies.
Specific duties include:
- Oversee the design and roll-out of a DREAMS package of services for AGYW (may include Stepping Stones Curriculum, health service demand creation activities including HIV testing and counseling and linkage to care, creation of safe spaces, GBV screening, scale-up of adolescent-friendly health services, support for economic strengthening activities and roll-out of parenting curricula etc.).
- Implement use of a vulnerability index to understand risks of AGYW; utilize mapping tools to understand HIV acquisition among AGYW. ·
- Lead efforts to strengthen quality of demand generation and service provision for AGYW.
- Strengthen capacity of and provide technical support to Tanzanian civil society organization (CSO) partners to deliver the above services.
- Ensure that project strategies and activities addressing youth are evidence-based and in line with state-of-the-art, globally recognized best practices; as well as aligned with GoT, PEPFAR and EpiC standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Ensure that the project engages youth in all stages of the project to promote youth leadership and ensure that youth perspectives are taken into consideration. ·
- Promote integration across a range of services for youth to take a holistic, family-centered approach to improving their wellbeing. ·
- Ensure all youth-focused strategies are gender-sensitive and promote equitable programming.
- Liaise with GoT counterparts, service providers, CSO partners and stakeholders to ensure activities are well-coordinated with other national and regional programs. ·
- Take lead in planning, coordination and implementation of DREAMS Initiative at district level. ·
- Provide technical assistance for DREAMS services through trainings and on-site mentorship activities based on national guidelines and protocols · Build the capacity of the CSO’s DREAMS teams, Facility and community structures to provide services timely services as per the National guidelines ·
- Work closely with the project M&E team and CSO’s to ensure regular updates of the DREAMS tracker and accurate and timely reporting. ·
- Ensure timely reporting and documentation of results from the DREAMS implementation in collaboration with M&E team with focus on accurate data for timely entry in DAMES system.
- Foster collaboration with partners and district DREAMS coordination teams and local government authority. ·
- Strengthen referral and linkages between health facility and community service delivery points for AGYW and partners
- Support establishment of community Quality Improvement teams to support implementation of AGYW risk reduction plans in identified communities.
- Strengthen partner coordination in the district through monthly meetings and joint field activities.
- Develop timely activity trip plans, budgets and implementation plans on weekly, monthly and quarterly basis ·
- Timely submit activity progress reports on monthly and quarterly basis · Represent the project at DREAMS regional and district level meetings including other DREAMS IP’s at the region. ·
- Document project success stories and case studies for sharing with a wider audience. ·
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor/Senior Technical officer DREAMS/ Senior Technical Advisor DREAMS.
- Develop and/or contribute to technical briefs, reports, guidelines and other materials.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science, public health or related field with 5-7 years’ relevant experience in provision of PEPFAR DREAMS services to AGYW at community level; OR Master’s degree in Social Science, public health or related field with 3-5 years relevant experience in provision of PEPFAR DREAMS services to AGYW at community level.
- Experience working with AGYW aged 15-24 years; familiarity with evidenced-based strategies for reducing their vulnerability and providing targeted services; familiarity with the PEPFAR DREAMS package of services. ·
- Knowledge of health and development programs in Tanzania including familiarity with the national youth guidelines, standards and protocols. Familiarity with Tanzania public health sector at multiple levels; experience working with GoT stakeholders. ·
- Familiarity and experience with USAID/PEPFAR-funded programs. ·
- Experience in programs serving KVP and AGYW. Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and sound understanding of the needs of vulnerable youth.
- Experience in technical capacity building of CSOs, especially those working with AGYW.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision. ·
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication. ·
- Well-developed computer skills
Method of Application
Closing Date : 28th September, 2020.