Technical Director at EngenderHealth
- Company: EngenderHealth
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
EngenderHealth is seeking expressions of interest from highly qualified candidates for the position of Technical Director for an anticipated five-year USAID reproductive, maternal, neonatal, child and adolescent health project in Tanzania. Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Technical Director will assist the Chief of Party in the design, implementation and monitoring of reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health interventions in Tanzania. S/he will be responsible for directing and managing the technical and programmatic components of the project, where the main result will be to increase knowledge and adoption of positive RMNCAH health behaviors. S/he will have a deep understanding of the Tanzanian RMNCAH landscape, including challenges, ongoing projects and the priorities of the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and President Office – Regional Administration and Local Government. S/he leads development of detailed implementation plans for grants and sub awards and ensures that project activities are implemented using gender and youth transformative approaches. S/he works with the technical staff and field offices to ensure that all service delivery interventions follow the latest policies, clinical guidelines, training approaches, and standards in all technical areas of the program. S/he oversees the implementation of interventions that address USAID’s and MoHCDGEC, including but not limited to increase the uptake of reproductive health services, family planning and GBV support services. S/he will coordinate field activities, compile project reports, and assist with the development of future programs as needed. S/he liaises closely with Tanzanian authorities at all levels, and donor and partner agencies and represents the program on behalf of the Chief of Party as needed.
S/he will provide overall technical, managerial guidance and leadership to program staff and will ensure that program officers provide the necessary program technical and programmatic leadership internally and capacity building to MoHCDGEC counterparts in their fields of expertise to achieve the overall goals and objectives of the project and contribute to sustainability. This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
- Oversee and coordinate the technical areas of the project and provide technical programmatic leadership to the overall achievement of the outcomes and results.
- Lead the development and implementation of strategies, workplans and activities to increase adoption of positive RMNCAH behaviors, and where appropriate integration of other key reproductive health services, in a collaborative manner with the government, partners and other implementing partners.
- Lead project efforts across partners to integrate gender and youth transformative approaches across strategies and activities, upholding the principles of positive youth development.
- Plan, coordinate, and provide support to staff in program design, monitoring and evaluation, and synthesis and documentation of lessons learned related to global program initiatives and country level activities.
- Supervise a team of technical managers and advisors covering varies technical areas such as family planning, MNCH, social and behavior change, gender, youth, and health system strengthening and identify opportunities for their continued development.
- Direct the team to ensure synchronized work to achieve project goals and objectives, and to share and apply lessons learned and best practices across project activities.
- Work with team to identify, adapt/develop, implement or scale-up, document and disseminate best practices within the project, together with the MoHCDGEC, PORALG and the larger RMNCAH community in Tanzania and internationally.
- Coordinate closely with other USAID and other donor-funded initiatives to enhance results across projects and provide donors with greater value for money
- Coordinate annual work plan development and quarterly, annual and other program reporting to USAID and other donors, in coordination with the Director for Finance and Admin, the MEL Director and the Chief of Party.
- Work collaboratively with regional and headquarter teams to ensure project deliverables are met and to coordinate technical and programmatic assistance
- Ensure program compliance with donor policies and regulations and complementarity with other USAID implementing partners and other agencies.
- Review status of all grants and sub-awards by activity and overall grant budget and proactively propose revisions, extensions or any appropriate action accordingly.
- Coordinate with M&E Officers to support data collection and engage with the MEL Director to ensure use of data for continual improvement, decision-making, and identification of best practices and lessons learned.
Must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Medicine, Public Health, development or related field and/or medical degree with public health and management expertise.
- Seven to ten years of progressively increasing responsibility delivering RMNCAH programs.
- Demonstrated five to seven years’ experience of working on adolescent reproductive health, adolescent health and family planning programs in Tanzania.
- Demonstrated experience leading projects in which youth and gender transformative approaches are a central focus.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and apply concepts, strategies and interventions to address adolescent health and development issues, with strong background in program design, implementation and MEL
- Demonstrated technical expertise in several of the following areas: public, private, and/or NGO FP/RH service delivery systems; clinical and non-clinical services; quality improvement/assurance for health services; development of policies, standards, guidelines and curricula; training/capacity-building; and performance improvement systems and approaches.
- Demonstrated leadership working with other technical advisors, experts, and host country staff from the public, private and NGO sectors.
- Proven capacity to oversee development/implementation of work plans, reports, and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Experience working with USAID on large-scale programs, including knowledge of USAID regulations and procedures.
ESSENTIAL SOFT SKILLS:
- Exceptional leadership qualities, depth and breadth of management expertise and experience.
- Proven ability to multitask, work under pressure and with flexibility.
- Ability to coach, mentor and develop technical capacity of technical staff.
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building, and coordination
The position is subject to change based on procurement requirements and is contingent upon EngenderHealth being awarded the project, donor approval, and availability of funds.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 6th October, 2020.