Team Leader – Water & Sanitation, Investment Financing Facility Project at GFA Consulting Group
- Company: GFA Consulting Group
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
Started in April 2016, GFA Consulting Group, on behalf of the KfW, has been implementing the IFF-OBA Programme: “Provision of Consulting Services for the Implementation of the Investment Financing Facility – Output Based Approach”
Background: Traditionally, capital investment projects in the water and sanitation sector in Tanzania are spearheaded by the Government using budget funds and/or donor funding (grants or loans). These funds have been insufficient to adequately support the growing investment requirements of the sector.
Against this background, the Ministry of Water (MoW) in cooperation with the German Development Bank (KfW) has established a financing facility for Urban Water Supply and Sanitation Authorities (UWASAs) in Tanzania which provides incentives for water utilities to commercially finance smaller infrastructure projects – the so-called Investment Financing Facility – Output based Approach (IFF-OBA). It is operated under the Ministry of Water (MoW) through the Department of Water Supply and Sanitation.
IFF-OBA provides incentives for utilities to obtain commercial loans to finance infrastructure investments that improve the level of service and revenue generation to utilities. After implementation and upon achievement of pre-determined output targets, the utility is entitled to receive up to 50% of the total eligible project costs as a grant element.
IFF-OBA supports an alternative source and method of funding to implement small and medium sized projects initiated and spearheaded by Tanzanian UWASAs. Apart from promoting utility ownership towards the project, the combined effect of liabilities linked to the loan and an OBA subsidy paid upon achievement of pre-determined and agreed targets offers incentives to maximise the expected effectiveness of the project and promote sustainability.
Objective of IFF OBA:
The objective of IFF-OBA is to
- support selected Tanzanian UWASAs in the preparation and implementation of bankable projects
- assist Tanzanian Banks in the provision of a sector specific product for public water and sanitation utilities and
- support the MoW to steer and implement the Programme in line with the established Operational Guidelines.
The IFF – OBA Programme started in April 2016 and will venture into its third Phase from October 2021 until October 2023. For the implementation of this Phase, GFA Consulting Group is recruiting a Team Leader who will successfully implement the Programme for a period of 24 months.
- Assist UWASAs in preparation of adequate investment project proposals and applications for commercial borrowing as well as acquisition of required Government approvals;
- Carry out technical, financial, institutional, socio-economic and environmental assessment of proposed projects and advise IFF Steering Committee on integration of project into IFF-OBA Programme;
- Monitor the progress of all projects and report to IFF Steering Committee on monthly basis;
- Verify the achievement of defined Output Targets and confirm that projects have been implemented according to established technical, financial and accounting standards;
- Assist the MoW in managing, guiding and overseeing the IFF-OBA Programme, including reporting, management of IFF-OBA funds and maintaining function of IFF-OBA Secretariat;
- Manage input of Short- Term Expert Pool according to Programme requirements;
- Strengthen Tanzanian Banks in the development of inhouse capacities in respect to provision of loans for water supply and sanitation utilities;
- Preparation and implementation of regular IFF Steering Committee Meetings and compilation of minutes;
- Implementation of at least (3) Stakeholder Workshops that strengthen the application of established standards and support future sustainability of IFF – OBA approach;
The successful candidate shall cover the following requirements:
- At least 10 years of leadership / management responsibility in Water and Sanitation Sector.
- S/he will have an accredited University Graduate Degree in one or more relevant fields (Civil Engineering, business (MBA), Finance, Economics, or similar).
- S/he will have demonstrated significant project management experience, managing assignments similar to those described in the above Tasks. Experiences with KfW financed projects are an asset.
- Relevant experience in integrating reports from different specialists, providing quality control to such deliverables, and effectively managing professional teams and budgets in similar projects / programmes.
- Strong abilities in the facilitation of capacity development measures, preferably related to the water and sanitation sector.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and verbal English, Kiswahili language skills are an asset.
- Significant body of experience in developing countries, including Sub-Saharan Africa
Method of ApplicationInterested Experts are encouraged to send their application, using an EuropAid CV or similar.
Clement Le Navenec [email protected]