Teacher/Facilitator – Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights at Maternity Africa
- Company: Maternity Africa
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Tanzania
Teacher/Facilitator – Adolescent Sexual And Reproductive Health And Rights
Sexual and reproductive health education in primary and secondary schools is a crucial component of both economic and social development. It is essential for raising awareness of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and for addressing and preventing adolescents’ risky sexual behaviors. Consequences of such behaviors include sexually transmitted diseases (such as HIV/AIDS), unwanted teenage pregnancies and dangerous abortions.
Disparities in sex education practices are holding back ongoing efforts to reverse the trend of teenage pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. Urgent action is required to help teach adolescents about their sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Based outside the city of Arusha, Maternity Africa (www.maternityafrica.org) provides maternal health care services to vulnerable and marginalized women and girls of childbearing age. From day-to-day experience, Maternity Africa recognizes many of the problems associated with poor SRHR education among the local adolescent population.
Maternity Africa recently commenced an exciting new programme providing sexual and reproductive health training to adolescents in ten primary and secondary schools in our local catchment area. In addition to providing training in schools the programme will also deliver training in churches, youth clubs and other facilities. The work will also involve radio broadcasts, social media and in print form.
Maternity Africa is seeking to grow the current team by employing a teacher or adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights trainer. For now it would be a specific assignment until 30 June 2023. Subject to available funding, the role could be extended beyond that date.
- Work closely with the existing team to deliver lessons on main SRHR and related topics in schools, churches, youth clubs and other facilities where young people meet.
- Educate adolescents about SRHR in an accurate, respectful, informative and engaging manner.
- Discuss with and counsel adolescents on SRHR matters confidentially, and with appropriate, relevant authorities.
- Engage effectively with the management of schools and other facilities to deliver the programme.
- Work with local radio stations and present engagingly.
Necessary qualifications and experience
- Recognized teaching qualification, such as an undergraduate degree in education OR
- Recognized qualification in Adolescents Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) training.
- Worked / volunteered in a teaching capacity in primary schools and/or secondary schools or as an adolescent SRHR trainer
- Coordinated activities with head teachers and community leaders
- Good report-writing skills
Other necessary qualities
- Acceptance of and adherence to Maternity Africa’s values
- Already living/working in Arusha District
- Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate complex information simply and engagingly to adolescents
- Able to keep confidential information
- Fluent in Kiswahili, English and other local language(s)
- Well organized with excellent personal and class management skills
- Excellent work ethic, with close attention to detail
- Self-starter and able to work on own initiative
- Able to travel around Arusha City and neighboring areas
- Able to work as part of a small, professional implementation team
- Be flexible, ready, willing and able to take on other roles within Maternity Africa as the organization grows