Teacher -Art, Middle School at International School of Tanganyika (IST)
- Company: International School of Tanganyika (IST)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Tanzania
Category (cf Policy 5.101): Teacher
Reports to: Principal
Department: Secondary School
IST Foundational Documents
Challenging, inspiring and supporting all our students to fulfil their potential and improve the world
IST will be a global leader in the education of internationally-mobile young people.
All students, regardless of their starting point, will think critically, achieve academically and develop the wisdom to make good choices. They will show curiosity and creativity in addressing authentic problems, local and global.
They will pursue their varied passions with enthusiasm, developing resilience, perseverance, and confidence. Understanding the diversity of people and cultures, they will act kindly, fairly, and responsibly.
All members of the IST community will work together to fulfil this vision.
Statement of Values
All members of the IST community are:
- Responsible – We act responsibly, positively and constructively towards ourselves and other people. We learn from our mistakes and accept the consequences of our
- Inquiring – We show curiosity, perseverance and open-mindedness in seeking to understand and solve We persevere in the face of difficulties and we embrace the learning that comes through failure as well as the joy of success.
- Compassionate – We empathise with others and act with care, kindness and courage. In our interactions, we behave with patience, generosity and
- Balanced – We believe in a broad education for our students, seeing the value of participation in a varied
- Diverse – We treasure the diversity within the IST community, using the rich opportunities for deeper understanding that come from our
IST Strategic Plan
Our Strategic Plan is in place to help our community align efforts to better reach our school’s mission, vision and values. This plan is focused on three aims.
- Personalized Learning:
- Ensure alignment between the written, taught and assessed curriculum
- Implement a strong, multi-tiered system of support to students, consistent with IST’s common understanding of inclusion
- Improve our ability to offer a balanced program with opportunities for excellence in academics, the arts and athletics
- Provide exemplary transition programs between campuses and other institutions of learning
- Ensure reporting models support effective partnerships with parents and their child’s learning
- Develop a strong internal professional learning community to embed successful professional learning experiences
- Ensure IST students’ appropriate use of technology supports their learning
- Engaged Community:
- Improve IST’s local, global and international reputation
- Provide opportunities for IST students and faculty to connect with local and global experts
- Develop partnerships within the local community to improve student experiences
- Improve processes and systems to improve communication within the IST community
- Build reciprocal structures to connect alumni with current student
- Establish sustainable and supportive relationships with government ministries
- Promote positive school spirit within and across campuses
- Ensured Sustainability:
- Review the master site plan to ensure school facilities support learning experiences
- Maintain fiscal discipline and transparency within IST community
- Develop the school’s capacity to recruit/retain excellent employees
- Lessen IST’s environmental footprint
- Align governing models with best practice
Summary of the Role
The Teacher is responsible for carrying out the professional duties of a teacher, as circumstances may require and in accordance with the school’s policies, under the direction of the Director. Teachers at IST place student learning as their highest priority. They are responsible for ensuring effective learning in a context in which students feel understood, safe and confident. Teachers use an inquiry based approach, while following the MYP and DP curricular programmes. Teachers support a diverse range of learning needs, and actively promote international-mindedness. In short, teachers are responsible for “challenging, inspiring and supporting all our students to fulfil their potential and improve the world.”
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Experience: 2+ years’ teaching experience
- Must have a Bachelor’s Degree and relevant teaching Masters degrees are preferred.
- PYP training/experience
- Teacher Certification Required
- Excellent communication skills in spoken and written form
- Educational leader and outstanding teacher
- Sound decision making, solutions focused, knowledge of child protection and health and safety
- Experience in developing and/or sustaining high performance teams
- Highly effective relationship developer with a variety of stakeholders
- Expert knowledge of IB Standards and Practices, and expert knowledge of the DP curriculum framework
- Collaborative team player, empathetic listener
- Integrity and confidentiality
- Strategic thinker, able to convert vision into action
- Internationally minded, emotional intelligence
- Intercultural awareness, creative, persuasive
- Flexible and capable of managing growth and instilling high standards
- Adept in multilingual settings, spirited, pioneering, professional and nurturing
The primary responsibilities for Teacher at Secondary School will be:
Planning and Organization: Teachers will display developed planning and organizational skills.
- Construct written units and lesson plans to guide
- Develop new methods and materials to meet changing curriculum needs
- Plan cooperatively with the instructional team on a regular
Instructional Techniques: Teachers will demonstrate the use of a variety of teaching methods that support and exemplify the values of the PYP/MYP/DP.
- Convey instructional benchmarks/assessment criteria/guidelines to students and display them in the
- Display a thorough understanding of typical developmental characteristics of the taught age group.
- Use a variety of instructional methods, and differentiate effectively to facilitate different learning styles and
- PYP: Display an understanding of inquiry and model the inquiry
- Actively review, reflect and revise subject units (Units of Inquiry/Unit Planners/DP units of study) for
- Establish high, but attainable, learning expectations that are clear to
Effective Communication: Teachers will use effective personal and professional communication skills.
- Set an example and encourage socially acceptable behaviour eg: correct usage of language and manner.
- Maintain a professional and positive tone in both oral and written communication with children, colleagues and
- Use appropriate writing for school communications, editing as
- Provide free and easy communication between home and school using class webpage, newsletters, linkbooks, diaries, email, phone call
Classroom Management and Organisation: Teachers will maintain a positive and stimulating classroom environment through effective classroom management skills.
- Actively engage children in learning activities
- Manage student discipline and classroom routines consistently and
- Maintain an orderly learning
- Maintain a positive social and emotional tone in the
- Establish high, but attainable, behavioural expectations that are clear to
- Provide engaging, dynamic and student-centred classroom
Assessment and Reporting: Teachers will use a wide variety of appropriate student assessments.
- Assess skills and concept understanding frequently and appropriately for different developmental levels and learning
- Maintain clear assessment
- Use student input to create rubrics whenever possible and assist students in appraising their own work.
Professional Responsibilities: Teachers will display a professional attitude and ethic.
- Consistently meets the IST Norms of Collaboration, school and IB responsibilities, deadlines and working
- Seek professional development opportunities and willingly share professional knowledge with colleagues.
- Actively participates in faculty meetings, in-service presentations, assemblies and school
- Communicates and plans in a positive, collaborative
- Dresses in a professional manner according to the IST dress
Contributions to the Wider Life of the School: Teachers will contribute to the wider life of the school.
- Supervise students outside of the classroom in an active
- Work with the administration to help foster a positive school
- Contribute to school initiatives, such as working committees, extra-curricular activities, assemblies, school events
Perform any other duties as designated by the Principal
Deadline: Jan 31, 2021
Method of Application
Closing Date : 31st January, 2021.