Supply Chain Team Leader- Logistic at Danish Refugee Council
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Tanzania
Supply Chain Team Leader- Logistic.
Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world. DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Protection (CBP, PSN, GBV, CP and Legal), Shelter and infrastructure, and Economic Recovery.
Overall purpose of the role:
Day to Day Management of team and providing coordinated and strategic inputs for supply chain functions (Warehousing, Logistics, Fleet, Office and Asset Management) to ensures the smooth running of support functions to meet the program needs in line with the DRC Operations Handbook, donor and government rules and regulations.
Geographic scope: Tanzania-Kigoma Region
This role has a focus on Tanzania and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
- The SC TL oversees the day-to-day management of a team of 30 staff composed of Fleet, Warehouse, maintenance, IT, guards and cleaners, based in the DRC offices as well as based in Nduta and Nyuragusu refugee camps
- Ensuring all staff have clear work plans, work efficiently, are clear on required tasks and report back on their work frequently
- Conduct monthly meetings with all relevant support services staff either in person or online.
- Ensure support services staff communicate clearly, pro-actively with relevant stakeholders including suppliers and colleagues
- Conduct ongoing staff performance appraisals leading to annual appraisals using DRC’s systems, development of team capacity building plans and individual development plans as appropriate.
- Build the capacity of team, developing and implementing guidance, on the job training and supervision,
- Working in a structured manner, planning, filing, communication, being pro-active and responsive, ensuring supply chain staff see themselves as an internal service provider to the overall operations
- Ensure observance of the DRC Code of Conduct within the team and suppliers, ensuring that staff in the department fully understand what corruption is and are trained at least once a year on the detail of the Code of Conduct and anti-corruption measures
- Develop and support a team spirit and ensuring smooth team working between support and program teams.
Logistics – FLEET
- Manage Team to ensure effective vehicle assignment, ensuring fuel and passenger efficiency, prioritization of movements
- Monitor and train drivers to ensure compliance with DRC SOPs.
- Monitor Fuel supply for vehicles and reporting
- Manage Drivers Rosters to ensure that they get a day off to rest
- Oversee Vehicle service monitoring
- Bi-monthly meetings with all drivers
- Monitor the contract of rental cars and request the renewal of contract if necessary.
- Serve as main gatekeeper of donor compliance for all portfolios, providing operational guidance to program teams based on donors’ rules and regulations.
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern Plan and follow up with UNHCR for the fuel supply, repair and replacement of vehicles
- Monitor and track all the vehicle movement when they are in the field and when travelling to other locations such as; Kigoma and Mwanza etc.
- Monitoring insurance of all DRC vehicles and renew upon expiry
- Ensuring proper archiving of all log sheets and fuel supply documents for reference.
- Liaise with Program Support to ensure joined up logistics for all travel by air.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country reports on fleet management (costs) to SMT and UNHCR.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Operation Handbook volume on Assets and Equipment Management (including all updated policies on DRC intranet) across all field offices
- Asset register tracking. This is to ensure that all equipment issue to DRC Tanzania staff is recorded in the master asset register and updated with all the information.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country reports on inventory/assets to SMT
- Ensuring asset tagging and updating of details in DRC Dynamics
- Conducting biannual physical inventory of asset and equipment
- Ensuring timely sharing of asset reports as per DRC and Donor requirements
- Manage the disposal of obsolete asset as per DRC and Donor SOP.
- Ensuring full compliance on inventory management
- Ensuring adherence to safety and security standards across all warehouse premises
- Conducting physical inventory checks, monthly or regular checks.
- Manage Warehouse and stocks Management team
- Provide monthly comprehensive country report on warehouse inventory to SMT (list and stock value in hand)
- Provide guidance in disposal methods for unused or expired commodities (broken, expired etc.)
Site supervision and security management
- Supervise repair and maintenance of office building, furniture, and equipment, office generator and fuel.
- Managing guards, cleaners, and contracts with 3rd parties where applicable. Supervise guard and cleaner rosters, training.
- Conducting a monthly review of the compound safety arrangements, including checking quantities medical, fire suppression equipment, and hibernation stocks.
- Conduct refresher training on relevant SOPs with office staff including Guards
- Responsible of inventory and equipment in DRC premises (Main office, international staff houses and RC guest house)
- Daily, weekly and monthly supply of water and power of DRC premises.
- Daily and weekly accommodation status checkups with cleaners
- Responsible of a basic supply for DRC office, accommodation and guest house and request for re-order or replenishment
- To monitor the guards and ensure that they come to work and get a day off. And also, that they have the necessary tools to perform such; torch light, whilst, raincoat, gumboot, ledger book for movement recording, etc
Planning and strategy
- Participate in BFU meetings and manage relevant budgets/forecasts for relevant functions e.g. maintenance, fuel, driver travel.
- Ensure that annual planning for supply chain is done including the setting and meeting of targets ensuring these targets are closely aligned with programmatic needs
- Ensure that resource mobilization is realistic and meets the needs of support functions, using the operations budget to input into proposals
- Build and maintain strong relations with external stakeholder where this relates to Support Services. This includes with suppliers, relevant governmental bodies, UNHCR and its logistics partner
- Deputize for SCM where necessary
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
- At least 5 years’ experience in Supply Chain functions in a Humanitarian context
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management/ team leader or supervisor role
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge of supply chain management especially logistics and Asset management
- Knowledge of budget cycle and monitoring processes
- Knowledge of key donor policies and compliance procedures, like UNHCR, Danida
- Experience working with DRC Dynamics or a similar ERP system
- Full professional proficiency in English and Kiswahili
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written
- Competency profile
Compliance and Detail-oriented
- Strong team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, culturally sensitive and adaptable
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others Education
- University degree in international relations, project management, business administration,
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant sector and field experience equivalent professional qualification
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Kiswahili
Employment category: Grade G3
Reporting to: Supply Chain Manager
Technical Line Manager: Head of support Tanzania & Burundi
Location: : Makere/Nyarugusu
Key stakeholders: (internal and external)
- SCM, Area Manager and Head of Support Services
- Supply chain staff, Programme Staff
- Local authorities
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
DRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff within its programs. As such, we strongly encourage national and diaspora candidates to apply for this position. However, candidates should take into consideration that DRC cannot employ, under an international contract, a national of the country in which he or she will be working (in this case, the United Republic of Tanzania)
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 20th December, 2023.