Supply Chain Manager at Danish Refugee Council
- Company: Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Tanzania
Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world. DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Protection, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and infrastructure, General Food Distribution (GFD) and Livelihoods.
Overall purpose of the role:
Provides coordinated and strategic leadership for all supply chain functions (Procurement, Warehousing, Logistics, Office Maintenance) and act as safety and security focal point to ensures the smooth running of all support functions to meet the program needs in line with the DRC Operations Handbook, donor and government rules and regulations.
Geographic scope: Tanzania-Kigoma Region
This role has a focus on Tanzania and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
- The SCM oversees the day-to-day management of a team of 65 staff composed of procurement, Fleet, Warehouse, maintenance, IT, guards and cleaners, based in the DRC offices as well as based in Nduta and Nyuragusu refugee camps.
- Ensuring all staff have clear work plans, work efficiently, are clear on required tasks and report back on their work frequently.
- Conduct monthly meetings with all relevant support services staff either in person or online. Minute these meetings and ensure action points are acted upon. Ensure support services staff communicate clearly, pro-actively with relevant stakeholders including suppliers and colleagues.
- Conduct ongoing staff performance appraisals leading to annual appraisals using DRC’s systems, development of team capacity building plans and individual development plans as appropriate.
- Build the capacity of team leaders and staff, developing and implementing guidance, on the job training and supervision, mentoring and coaching, working in a structured manner, planning, filing, communication, being pro-active and responsive, ensuring supply chain staff see themselves as an internal service provider to the overall operations.
- Oversee the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct within the Supply Chain department and suppliers, ensuring that staff in the department fully understand what corruption is and are trained at least once a year on the detail of the Code of Conduct and anti-corruption measures.
- Ensure that all Supply Chain department staff in Tanzania are aware of the procedures to whistle-blow for corruption and other breaches of the Code of Conduct, including reporting mechanism.
- Develop and support a team spirit, ensure smooth team working between support and programme teams.
- Ensure procurement procedures are followed including procurement plans and trackers, with timely procurement.
- Closely follow department KPIs and ensure that monthly report submissions are timely and of high quality.
- Constantly monitor the Supply Chain staff interaction with suppliers ensuring compliance with segregation of duties, DRC Suppliers Terms and Conditions and DRC’s Code of Conduct.
- Ensure DRC’s supply chain process leads to the best value for money outcomes for DRC and its persons of concern, including through conducting market surveys in key categories.
- Conduct regular visits to each procurement office to assess and support compliance and implementation of Operation Handbook volume on Supply Chain (including all updated policies on DRC intranet) across all field offices.
- Review Tenders (National and International) documents before advertising in coordination with the regional and HQ support.
- Provide support to field sites to manage the tendering process (TOC report, technical analysis and contract award).
- Compile and provide monthly procurement reports to SMT and/or AMs.
- Organize procurement trainings for non-logistics staff and refresher trainings (if/when needed) for Supply Chain staff.
- Ensure implementation of DRC & external audit recommendations relating to Supply Chain components.
- Ensure that all procurement documents are properly stored and archived to provide an appropriate audit trail for any internal and external audits.
- Conduct market surveys in key categories to ensure that DRC is receiving best value for money.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Operation Handbook volume on Fleet Management of (including all updated policies on DRC intranet) in Kasulu and Kibondo.
- Ensure the entire fleet in the Kigoma region is run efficiently. Advise on Fleet utilization and right sizing of fleet requirements as per program needs. This includes weekly movement plans; prioritisation of movement needs of staff and programme activities and forward planning.
- Ensure fleet maintenance is conducted efficiently and the fleet is fuelled properly. This includes frequent and pro-active interaction with relevant UNHCR and other partner staff.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country reports on fleet management (costs) to SMT and UNHCR.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Operation Handbook volume on Assets and Equipment Management (including all updated policies on DRC intranet) across all field offices.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country reports on inventory/assets to SMT.
- Responsible for oversight of Warehouse and stocks Management.
- Provide monthly comprehensive country report on warehouse inventory to SMT (list and stock value in hand).
- Provide guidance in disposal methods for unused or expired commodities (broken, expired etc.).
- Manage IT equipment and servicing, supervising IT officer.
Site supervision and security management
- Supervise repair and maintenance of office building, furniture, and equipment, office generator and fuel.
- Managing guards, cleaners, and contracts with 3rd parties where applicable. Supervise guard and cleaner rosters, training.
- Maintain keen awareness of the local security situation and any relevant safety issues; report these issues immediately to the Area Manager; provide recommendations on mitigation/ preparedness/ response measures to be taken; contribute towards programme risk analysis.
- Communicate and coordinate with local authorities and partners on all security-related issues.
- Support keeping Security Management Plan, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Evacuation/Relocation Plans up to date.
- Regular update MOSS and SLS for the area as required under guidelines.
- Conducting a monthly review of the compound safety arrangements, including checking quantities medical, fire suppression equipment, and hibernation stocks.
- Conduct refresher training on relevant SOPs with office staff.
Planning and strategy
- Ensure that annual planning for support services is done including the setting and meeting of targets ensuring these targets are closely aligned with programmatic needs.
- Ensure that project planning includes relevant support service requirements (such as lead times and appropriate budgets).
- Ensure that resource mobilization is realistic and meets the needs of support functions, using the operations budget to input into proposals.
- Ensure that support services are fit for purpose to meet program needs.
- Be the focal point for the compliance self-check, risk register, internal audit, and results contract.
- Work with the Area Managers and Head of Support Services to ensure each of the sub departments (Supply Chain, fleet, assets, warehouse, and IT) have targets and are meeting them, in line with the DRC Operation Handbook.
- Build and maintain strong relations with external stakeholder where this relates to Support Services. This includes with suppliers, relevant governmental bodies, UNHCR and WFP staff.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience in senior Supply Chain function in a Humanitarian context
- At least 3 years’ experience with people management
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant sector and field experience.
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Knowledge of supply chain management and procurement processes
- Knowledge of budget cycle and monitoring processes
- Knowledge of key donor policies and compliance procedures, like UNHCR, WFP, Danida
- Experience working with DRC Dynamics or a similar ERP system
- Full professional proficiency in English and Kiswahili
- Excellent communication skills – both oral and written
- Compliance and Detail-oriented
- Strong team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, culturally sensitive and adaptable
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Understands humanitarian issues in Tanzania, and the region
- Willing to travel to project sites in Tanzania
What we offer
Contract: 1 Year Contract with the possibility of extension, subject to funding and performance.
Salary: in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment Management Band/ F.
Availability: 1st January 2023.
Duty station: Kibondo, Tanzania
Reporting Line: Area Manager Kigoma region
Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
DRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff within its programs. As such, we strongly encourage national and diaspora candidates to apply for this position. However, candidates should take into consideration that DRC cannot employ, under an international contract, a national of the country in which he or she will be working (in this case, the Republic of Tanzania).
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 14th December, 2022.