Sub-Editor at The Guardian Limited
- Company: The Guardian Limited
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Position : Sub-Editor – The Guardian
Reporting Channel : Managing Editor
Place : Dar es Salaam
Duties and Responsibilities
- Checking and editing stories, writing captions, placing photos and writing headlines within set deadlines and in conformity with journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style
- Checking and correcting editorial copy (news stories, features, etc.) allocated by the Chief Sub-Editor for facts, accuracy, taste, house style, language use, clarity, details, objectivity, spelling, etc.
- Subbing (rewriting) editorial copy to fit allocated space without distorting facts or downplaying the salient points or points of major interest.
- Rewriting editorial copy as necessary for simplicity, clarity and style.
- Writing headlines for the copy by ensuring that they reflect the overriding message of the stories.
- Editing the photos and other illustrations selected by the Chief Sub-Editor – to fit space allocated
- Writing or rewriting captions, taking care not to give obvious details.
- Submitting the edited copy to the Chief Sub-Editor within set deadlines.
- Making up news pages as directed by the Chief Sub-Editor – as a guide to graphic designers
- Checking all headlines, captions, photos/illustrations, copy text, page logos and all other page elements, and signing off the pages(to graphic designers) within set deadlines.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts or related disciplines
- At least three years’ experience working in journalism, with having served as a sub-editor an added
- Mastery of written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Knowledge of any other language will be an added advantage
Method of ApplicationApply online via email address: [email protected] by 31st October, 2023. NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contactedfor an interview.
Please, note that The Guardian Limited is an equal opportunity employer.