Special Educational Needs and Counselling at Aga Khan University
- Company: Aga Khan University
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education/Teaching Jobs in Tanzania
Chartered in 1983, Aga Khan University (AKU) is a private, autonomous and self-governing international university, with 13 teaching sites in 6 countries over three continents. An integral part of the Aga Khan Development Network, AKU provides higher education in several disciplines, carries out research pertinent to the countries and operates 7 hospitals (soon 8) and over 325 outreach clinics, all at international standards. It has almost 2,500 students and 14,000 staff. The University is both a model of academic excellence and an agent of social change. As an international institution, AKU operates on the core principles of quality, relevance, impact and access.
The University is seeking applications for the level of Full professor/ Associate Professor/ Assistant Professor/ Lecturer.
The incumbent will be a member of faculty at the Aga Khan University, Institute for Educational Development, East Africa (AKU-IED, EA) working specifically within special educational needs and counseling. This offers the opportunity to taking the leading role in establishing and developing this important area in the highly regarded AKU-IED, EA.
The incumbent will have an academic background in special educational needs and counselling. Professional experience within this field would be a strong advantage. The incumbent will initially work with the Head of Teaching Programmes in accomplishing below responsibilities:
- Writing a proposal for a new specialization within the Master of Education programme.
- Lead, teach and update these courses within the Master of Education programme. This will include the leading of a team, the setting and marking of assignments and the supervision of dissertations.
- Design and teach outreach courses and Certificate programmes for serving teachers across East Africa.
- Instrumental in the design and implementation of the proposed PhD programme that AKU-IED, EA plans to introduce.
- To prepare and mark assignments as well as supervise students’ research and dissertations.
- A PhD degree in the relevant field, with 5-7 years of related work experience.
- International reputation for leading high-quality research in their speciality.
- Strong track record in attracting and managing externally funded research.
- Ability to develop a portfolio of research, evaluation and consultancy work to international governments and development agencies.
- Experience of teaching at graduate level, university governance and management.
- Ability to work independently and develop course proposals to obtain successful approval from various Academic Bodies of the University.
- Leadership positions on national Professional Associations.
- Publish at least 3 publications in referee journals plus 3 other journals / 2-3 book chapters / consolidated reports.
- An active Provincial / National level committee member.
- Ability to mentor at least one Instructor / Assistant Instructor.
Whilst candidates with expertise in any aspect of special educational needs and counseling will be considered, with an interest in gender issues an advantage. Advantageous also would be experience and/or knowledge of the field in a developing world context.
Method of ApplicationWe encourage early to mid-career scholars with a rising profile in research and publication and/or programme development to apply. All applicants should have a strong commitment to research and publication and to graduate teaching, with a commitment to securing external support for his or her research. Candidates meeting the above requirements, and seeking professional growth should enclose their 2 publications that demonstrate research/scholarship strengths, Curriculum Vitae (CV) and addresses (postal, telephone and email) of three referees to the Human Resources Department, Aga Khan University, Tanzania. P. O. Box 125; Fax (+255) (0)22 2150875 or email [email protected]
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submitting the application is 02 July 2021.