Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) Specialist at Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs
- Company: Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Programs
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Job Title: Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) Specialist
Report to: Director of SBC – Design and Implementation
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Breakthrough ACTION Tanzania is a new, three-year (2022-2025) cooperative agreement between the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Communication Program (CCP). The social and behavior change (SBC) activity aims to catalyze opportunities for Tanzanians to improve their health status by transforming socio-cultural norms and supporting the adoption of healthier behaviors. The activity will provide technical assistance to the Government of Tanzania (GoT) to improve the policy and implementation framework around SBC activities, and design, implement and monitor specific SBC interventions at the sub-national level as required. Breakthrough ACTION Tanzania will promote integrated SBC approaches to support reproductive health, maternal, neonatal, and child health (including nutrition), HIV, malaria, TB, risk communication and community engagement (RCCE) and other infectious diseases as needed.
The Social and Behavior Change Communication (SBCC) Specialist will provide technical guidance and capacity strengthening to the project through the design and rollout of high-quality SBC interventions and provide technical guidance and capacity strengthening for SBC to the project. They should have extensive knowledge of SBC theories and approaches. Additional knowledge of behavioral economics and human-centered design (HCD) is desirable. This position role reports to the Director of SBC Design and Implementation and involves 40% incountry travel.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Support the Director of SBC Design and Implementation and serve as the SBCC expert and technical authority.
- Work with the team members to conceptualize, design and implement SBC strategies and interventions.
- Participate in the development, review, pretesting, refinement, and finalization of SBC materials and tools including the design, planning, implementation, and monitoring of social and behavior change programming.
- Ensure SBC and demand creation activities are implemented in coordination and harmonization with the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDEC), implementing partners, and other relevant stakeholders all levels.
- Help develop and facilitate a behavioural prioritization process together with the MOHCDEC, implementing partners and other relevant stakeholders to re-align with current messaging priorities.
- Work together with USAID Tulonge Afya to determine which existing SBC interventions should be continued and/or adapted under Breakthrough ACTION, and ensure a smooth transition in implementation between the two projects.
- Assist with the design and/or adaptation of quality, evidence-based SBC resources for use by service delivery partners in fixed and mobile sites, community partners, and civil service partners. Materials should reflect priorities outlined in SBC strategies and guidelines, meet the standards of National Programs, and emerge from a participatory process.
- Work with the Director of SBC Coordination and Capacity Strengthening to strengthen the capacity of government and partners to produce, disseminate, use and monitor the materials co-developed with Breakthrough ACTION Tanzania.
- Work together with the health area Program Officers (i.e., HIV/Tuberculosis; Family Planning and Maternal and Child Health; Malaria) to develop high-quality SBC programs promoting specific health areas, such as access and use of insecticide-treated nets (ITNs), as necessary.
- Co-develop provider behavior change initiatives that address identified barriers to service uptake, such as provider motivation, biases and/or client-provider interactions.
- Help develop and co-facilitate human-centred design processes, including discovery research, insights generation, ideation, prototyping, testing, and iteration.
- Support creative agencies and consultants to interpret insights from research, ideation sessions and other SBC and HCD processes in order to design materials, approaches and/or SBC interventions that respond to the needs of the intended audiences.
- Develop and implement an SBC capacity strengthening plan for Breakthrough ACTION staff, interns, IPs, MOHCDEC, CBOs and other project stakeholders in partnership with the SBC Coordination and Capacity Strengthening team.
- Review SBC information for feasibility and adherence to project objectives.
- Stay up to date on SBC trends and technical content in Tanzania and globally to provide specific direction and solutions to complex problems.
- Contribute towards quarterly reporting, annual work plan development, and budgeting for the Breakthrough ACTION Tanzania team.
- Ensure timeliness and high integrity of activity implementation in accordance with the work plan.
- Work together with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning Manager and the Knowledge Management, Learning and Adaptation Specialist to monitor SBC and demand creation activities, document and share success stories and lessons learned, and make program adaptations based on the results.
- generate media briefs, reports, success stories, and other program documentation.
- Format, edit, and create documents and presentations as needed.
- Maintain frequent, open, ongoing communication with program team members in all locations (country and headquarters offices)
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in mass communication, advertising, education, public health, social sciences or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a programming role with an international development organization.
- Previous experience of working for SBC/SBCC or health communication program is an added advantage.
- Strong knowledge of MOH structures at national, district, and community level.
- Tanzania national preferred.
- Oral and written fluency in English and Kiswahili.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with design and presentation applications (i. e. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator) Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills.
- Previous experience working in social and behavior change communication
- Have a strong grasp of research methods and data analysis, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Ability to interpret research insights into design solutions and design improvements, with an understanding of user empathy, voice of the customer, and organizational context and constraints.
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Possession of excellent leadership skills to be used for consensus building and mentoring.
- Comfortable interacting with key stakeholders and acting as the voice of the customer.
- Self-starter that can work under minimum direction in a highly collaborative, team-based environment
- Has a passion for problem-solving and believing that all problems are solvable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This position may require up to 25% in-country travel
Method of ApplicationAll candidates are encouraged to submit e-mail applications to: [email protected] with copies of current CV, cover letter and three professional referees. Please indicate which position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: 12:00pm EAT on May 13, 2022