SNV Senior WASH technical intern at SNV
- Company: SNV
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Shinyanga
- Job type: Internship
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Senior WASH technical intern
- Shinyanga, Tanzania
- Contract type: Internships
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization founded in the Netherlands nearly 50 years ago. SNV has built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. SNV works with local based development partners, other civil society organizations, government institutions and businesses to develop the capacities of local communities. Through its works, SNV links local communities to basic service providers to increase their income and to empower local communities to fight against poverty and take ownership of their own development.
WASH SDG Programme aims to sustainably improve access to and use of sanitation services and improve hygiene behaviours in the coming five years (2017-2022). It is built on three core strategic objectives, namely (1) increasing demand for improved WASH facilities and practices, (2) improving the quality of service provision and by (3) improving governance of the sector. The programme will contribute to achieving access to safely managed sanitation and improved hygiene behaviour for 160,000 and 200,000 people respectively in peri-urban/urban areas of Shinyanga and Arusha municipalities/cities.
Overview of the Position
The Programme is looking to recruit an energetic WASH Technical intern to support the Programme with implementation of on the ground activities in Shinyanga related to; Technical support linked to Faecal Sludge Treatment Plants (FSTP) monitoring, Effluent Quality monitoring support (sampling & laboratory), Faecal Sludge re-use initiatives, Construction supervision and support in the development of engineering drawings (CAD drawings), and research; Monitoring and follow up support linked to on the ground activities such as coordination for organised meetings, follow up on agreed action points, spot checks on infrastructure interventions and other ongoing activities.
· The successful applicant will undergo a short orientation to be provided by the respective supervisor to properly introduce the intern to the SNV efforts globally, the SNV country sector programs with specific induction to the WASH SDG project.
· The intern will work closely with the project team in their respective areas including Partners and consultants hired under the project.
· The intern will be hosted by SHUWASA and will be based in their offices in Shinyanga.
To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team with Technical and Engineering support to the Shinyanga Water and Sanitation Authority (SHUWASA) linked to Faecal Sludge Treatment Plants (FSTP) monitoring, Effluent Quality monitoring support (supervise sampling & laboratory analysis, and reporting), Faecal Sludge re-use initiatives (linked to co-composting monitoring), and support in the development & reviewing engineering drawings (CAD drawings), and research initiatives; (60% of time).
To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team with Monitoring and follow ups: this is linked to; monitoring, follow ups and spot checks on the technical infrastructure interventions (linked to public toilets construction works and other onsite and offsite sanitation systems); supervision support of contractors, consultants and masons assigned to different technical interventions supported; and occasionally support with organising meetings and action points follow ups linked to the WASH SDG programme. (40% of time).
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Preferably in Water and Sanitation engineering, Environmental Engineering, Civil engineering or equivalent).
· Practical experience of WASH technical or engineering field works linked to Faecal Sludge Management and Sanitation systems.
· Experience of developing technical engineering or CAD drawings.
· Experience of working relations with LGAs and Urban water utilities is an advantage.
· Experience of sampling, data collection, laboratory analysis and technical report writing is an advantage
· Prior experience and understanding of SNV and pillars of the WASH SDG programme is an advantage.
· Experience in supervising contractors, consultants and masons.
· Understanding of the protocols and how the Urban water utilities and local government authorities works.
· Good understanding of the WASH sector particularly urban sanitation issues in Tanzania.
· Innovative, entrepreneurial, business oriented.
· Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach.
· Readiness to work and travel frequently in the field
· Excellent listening skills combined with strong oral and written communication skills (in English and Swahili).
· Self-starter, strong ability to work well alone and with others.
· Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
· Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
Reporting to: Programme Manager
Contract Type: Internship contract
Contract Duration: Six months
Expected Start Date: October 2021
Working at SNV
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Agriculture experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 30th September , 2021.