Shaft Rigger at Barrick Gold Corporation
- Company: Barrick Gold Corporation
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Shinyanga
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
The role is responsible for set up and repair rigging for the movement of heavy equipment. As an Artisan Rigger you will be required to maintain equipment according to sound engineering practice and equipment specifications, as well as conducting any rigging task as might be required within any section of the underground mine including surface. Also you will be required to prepare the materials before loading, set up the rigging equipment, operate heavy equipment machinery, and dismantle the rigging after the job. You will required to communicate with the rigging team and ensure compliance with state health and safety regulations.
The Bulyanhulu Team is seeking to recruit a Shaft Rigger to join and grow their team.
You will be expected to align to the Barrick DNA and to operate within our mining assets with our best people teams. You will contribute in a safe and cost-effective manner to achieve targets in accordance with Mine Safety Standards, Policies and Procedures and ensure daily targets are met.
About Bulyanhulu Team
Bulyanhulu is situated in north-west Tanzania, in the Kahama district of the Shinyanga region, approximately 55 kilometres south of Lake Victoria and 150 kilometres southwest of the city of Mwanza.Bulyanhulu is a narrow-vein gold mine containing gold, silver and copper mineralisation in sulphides. The mineralisation of Bulyanhulu is associated with a number of steeply-dipping veins. Bulyanhulu commenced commercial production in 2001.
- Responsible for all Shaft Mechanical fixed assets and infrastructure , including but not limited to:
- Mine Winders, cage, skips, winding ropes and attachments.
- Main Centrifugal and Screw Compressors and pipe columns.
- Main Surface ventilation fans.
- East & West Refrigeration plants, including BACs.
- Shaft headgear, surface silos, load out stations, shaft stations and vertical shaft infrastructure.
- Surface mine water ponds.
- All UG main pump stations, settlers and mud presses.
- All UG tips, structures, rock breakers & finger raise chutes.
- Diesel generators.
- Surface & UG mechanical workshops.
- Conveyor belts.
- Fire hydrants and sprinklers.
- Lime and flocculent dozing plants.
- Shaft buildings & structures.
- Ensure all Winder & shaft related equipment comply with MHSA.
- Responsible for creating rigging plans.
- Provide subject matter expertise and skills in area of responsibility; advising on solutions to enhance or ensure the effectiveness of the department/section.
- Develop, construct and install all types of trade related equipment required for the safe operation of all rigging and lifting activities.
- Participate in planning shutdowns & relevant resources, tools, spares and activities.
- Responsible for the management of consumable stock levels (amongst others, spares and hydro carbons).
- Select applicable rigging equipment for lifting task based on load weights, sizes, facilities, conditions and work schedules.
- Responsible to ensure availability of safe rigging equipment.
- Apply packing and lashing methods to secure loads.
- Lift and move loads using rigging equipment, mobile cranes, overhead cranes and forklifts.
- Responsible to ensure that load testing of lifting equipment, crawl beams and cranes are carried out correctly.
- Perform inspections in accordance with the Mine Health and Safety Act regulations, OEM specifications and company standards and report all defects and breakdowns on lifting equipment, crawl beams and cranes to the Foreman.
- Perform trade related maintenance and repair of rigging and lifting equipment according to the maintenance requirements.
- Conduct maintenance, examinations and inspections in accordance with relevant legislation and OEM specifications on winder ropes.
- Replace overhead crane and mobile crane ropes as and when required.
- Replace winder ropes when required
- Perform rigging activities to remove/replace structures and equipment in the shaft
- Assist with the recovering of broken down or redundant mining machinery and equipment from the mine face.
- Inspect and ensure safety condition of safety harnesses and life lines
- Responsible to perform lock out when required
- Responsible for good housekeeping in working area
- Responsible for trade related administration.
- Conduct on-the-job training for allocated apprentices.
- Safety, Health and Environment Compliance: Model behavior that is consistent with the Company Safety, Health and Environment Vision and Values. Manage and report on non-compliance issues.
- Perform risk assessments (Activity based and Mini).
- Maintain and manage healthy relationships within own team and across teams.
- Responsible to provide support to team within area of responsibility.
- Responsible to share knowledge and skills with co-workers.
- Responsible to use communication and feedback channels effectively.
- Effective Self-Management: Responsible for managing own work performance and completing tasks as per set timelines and standards.
- National Diploma In Mechanical Engineering
- Engineering Certificate (N6) in the field of Mechanical Engineering
- Rigger Certificate
- Valid Driving Certificate
Experience and competencies needed
- 5 years’ experience in Similar role
- Extensive knowledge of Winders, mine ventilation fans, pump stations, settlers, mud-presses, diesel generators, hydraulic systems, centrifugal & screw compressors, conveyor belts, rock breakers, load out chutes, liners, and auxiliary equipment;
- At least 5 years’ experience with Winders, ropes, shaft load outs, headgear and vertical Shaft maintenance;
- Ammonia Refrigeration plants knowledge and experience.
- Knowledge and experience of SAP maintenance software will be an added advantage.
- English knowledge both written and verbal
- Experience on similar job
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs is well regarded
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and a commitment to close teamwork
What We Can Offer You
- A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses and site-specific benefits
- The ability to make a difference and lasting impact
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless
- Access to a variety of career opportunities across the organization
Method of ApplicationApplicants are invited to submit their CV’s/Resume’s online
Rename your CV in this format CV – YOUR FULL NAME
Indicating the role title “SHAFT RIGGER” in the subject of your email
Send your application via e-mail to: [email protected]
Please forward applications before: 20th June 2022
We are committed to a safe work environment sending every person home safe and healthy every day and leaving a sustainable legacy on our host communities.
Thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.