Senior Vector Control Advisor at Social Impact (SI)
- Company: Social Impact (SI)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Tanzania
Senior Vector Control Advisor
Tanzania Vector Control Activity (TVCA) Mid Term Evaluation
USAID/Tanzania Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning, and Adaptation (T-MELA) Activity
Social Impact (SI) is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.
On January 19, 2023, USAID/Tanzania awarded International Business Initiatives (IBI) and SI a four-year contract for the Tanzania Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Adaptation (T-MELA) Activity. This activity is to assist the USAID/Tanzania Mission with strategy- and activity-level performance monitoring, evaluation, and learning. This activity will also provide data gathering and verification, data visualization (including Geographic Information Systems), data quality assessments, impact and performance evaluations, assessments, organizational learning, and collaboration among USAID’s implementing partners and DO teams. The MEL Support Platform will also implement a capacity building agenda for the mission, developing a baseline of M&E knowledge within the mission and tailoring a curriculum to provide skills development to mission staff.
The Tanzania Vector Control Activity (TVCA) project is a 5-year USAID funded project focused on improving the health status of women and youth by reducing the burden of malaria through increased access to quality integrated services and improving their government delivery through sustainable funding and capacity building of government staff in vector control and prevention. The purpose of the TVCA is to identify and implement proven, evidence-based vector control approaches in Tanzania aimed at reducing the burden of malaria and moving towards the long-term goal of malaria elimination.
TVCA focuses on improving population level access to insecticide treated bed nets (ITNs) in the fourteen PMI regions and in Zanzibar. This is done through annual quantification of gaps in coverage and procurement and distribution of the ITNs. The TVCA provides the Government of Tanzania (GOT) and malaria partners with state-of-the-art reviews and advice concerning new developments in vector control, and as appropriate, develops plans for implementation of modified or new vector control approaches in Tanzania. TVCA envisions a Tanzania where government institutions and programs are empowered to use evidence in designing and implementing efficient and effective vector control interventions – so that every Tanzanian is protected from malaria. TVCA approach is grounded in National Malaria Control Program’s (NMCP) and Zanzibar Malaria Elimination Program’s (ZAMEP) National Strategic Plans.
The Activity is centered around 5 main objectives:
1) OBJECTIVE 1: Determine the ITN population access among targeted populations and the quantity of ITN needed in the coming year to maintain population access to ITN.
2) OBJECTIVE 2: Deliver Insecticide Treated Nets to targeted populations with Ministry of Health (MOH), the President’s Office Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG), NMCP, ZAMEP, and progressively build Medical Store Department (MSD) and Central Medical Stores (CMS) self-reliance
3) OBJECTIVE 3: Undertake activities to create an enabling environment to revive the commercial market for ITN
4) OBJECTIVE 4: Provide annual guidance on effectiveness of vector control interventions used in Tanzania
5) OBJECTIVE 5: Provide guidance on new evidence-based vector control approaches that show potential for successful outcomes in Tanzania and, when appropriate, assist with implementation of proven approaches
This Mid-term evaluation of the TVCA Activity will be used to improve the effectiveness of the activity during the remaining performance period and inform the design of the follow-on mechanism. The evaluation will document progress and changes, strengths, and weaknesses, intended and unintended results and inform USAID Tanzania and the national Malaria Control Program on future planning of vector control interventions. The key audience for this evaluation is USAID/Tanzania, NMCP, ZAMEP, PMI and TVCA and the Office of the President of the Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG).
Social Impact is seeking a Senior Vector Control Advisor to conduct this mid-term evaluation alongside the Team Leader and Evaluation Specialist. This is a consulting position with an estimated start date of June 1. The estimated level of effort (LOE) for the Advisor will be 55days with expected travel of up to 4 weeks in Tanzania. The advisor will report directly to the evaluation Team Leader.
The Senior Vector Control Advisor will be responsible for contributing to all aspects of the evaluation, including supporting the development of the assessment’s methodology, data collection, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, and writing the draft and final reports. The Advisor will provide key support to the evaluation in completing the following duties alongside the TL and Evaluation Specialist:
· Document key TVCA interventions and results through a comprehensive desk review
· Provide in depth vector control expertise and support the design of the evaluation, methodology, development of instruments, data collection, synthesis of data, presentations, and report.
· Identify the enabling and limiting factors for TVCA results across all geographic areas of interest
· In consultation with the Team Leader and Evaluation Specialist, support team’s ongoing analysis of qualitative and quantitative data.
· Make recommendations for improvements to i) effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability for the remainder of TVCAs period of performance and ii) to Tanzania’s vector control activities
· Travel within selected counties and conduct in-person and remote interviews and/or group discussions
· Work collaboratively with team members throughout design, implementation, analysis, and report writing to complement each other’s areas of expertise.
· Contribute to the consultant team’s collaborative production of the following high-quality deliverables:
o Work plan with methodology and interview protocols
o PowerPoint presentations to USAID/Tanzania
o Draft and Final Report
Qualifications and Skills:
The Senior Vector Control Advisor must have/hold:
· Master’s degree in a relevant discipline; 10-12 years of experience in public health with a significant experience in the malaria landscape, especially in Tanzania or the region
· Minimum of 5-7 years of experience providing support to programs, research, surveillance activities or M&E relating to vector control, malaria, or entomology within the private or public sector
· Advanced knowledge of vector control-related programs and indicators, namely for USAID
· Proven expertise in conducting operational research (both quantitative and qualitative data collection), monitoring and evaluation and/or health program implementation research
· Significant experience in assessment/evaluation and conducting qualitative/quantitative data analysis is recommended, especially for surveys, monitoring data and HMIS data.
· Familiarity with HMIS (DHIS-2) is recommended
· Prior experience or familiarity with PMI and the National Malaria Control Program in Tanzania is required.
· Experience in training, mentoring, and supervising field staff.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
· Ability to develop effective working relationships with USAID, local organizations, other program partners and counterparts
· Must be fluent (writing and speaking) in English; additional language proficiency in relevant languages (e.g. Kiswahili) would be an asset.
The closing date for application:May 19, 2023. Selection and interview will be performed on a rolling basis, and interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 7th May, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE