Senior Technical Advisor (STA) at Colleges and Institutes
- Company: Colleges and Institutes
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Senior Technical Advisor (STA)
Note: Due to travel restrictions related to COVID, it is expected that the position will be based in Canada for the first 6 or 9 months. Following that the position will be based in Dar es Salaam or Arusha
The Empowerment through Skills Program (ESP), Tanzania, is a 7-year (2021-2028) program which will support the development and delivery of skills training programs that benefit women and adolescent girls working in the informal and formal economies throughout the country. By providing community and institution-based training programs at Folk Development Colleges (FDCs) and Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) across 12 communities, and by strengthening the financial, counselling, and family support systems women need to be successful in key growth sectors, ESP will lead to social and economic empowerment.
Reporting to the Manager of Operations, Caribbean and Anglophone Africa, the STA provides senior level leadership and technical expertise on program development, both international and domestic, to Canadian and local ESP partners.
The STA provides subject matter expertise to partners in the design of technical and vocational education and training (TVET) reform initiatives. In collaboration with the team and working closely with the STA (Gender), the STA ensures the effective cohesion, coordination, efficiency, effectiveness and quality of contributions from CICan staff and consultants. With extensive knowledge of technical and vocational education systems, the STA ensures the cohesion, coordination, efficiency, effectiveness and quality of advice provided to international and Canadian TVET institutions, government officials, partners and funders. The STA is the designated ESP representative in Tanzania and will represent ESP to key stakeholders in Tanzania including government, employers, institutions, other programs, and donors.
The STA requires strong leadership, problem-solving and decision-making capabilities. He/she must have sound interpersonal, intercultural, gender sensitivity, communication, and diplomacy skills. An excellent understanding of work planning, budgeting and financial management, results-based management (RBM), Global Affairs Canada (GAC) Feminist International Assistance Policy (FIAP) and its integration, monitoring and evaluation and report-writing are key competencies. The incumbent must be adept at working in evolving and uncertain situations and must be able to provide guidance to team members calmly and effectively in this context.
The STA leads capacity building work for field-based staff/consultants to enhance the quality, effectiveness, and innovation of CICan’s various initiatives. The STA manages the Tanzania field office and supervises Tanzania-based staff and consultants across initiatives. He/she advises on staffing decisions and budgetary considerations.
The STA collaborates with CICan colleagues on partnership development and builds on current practice and integration across CICan strategic priorities.
The STA will be based in Tanzania (following 6-9 months working virtually from Canada) and will travel extensively across Tanzania and has responsibilities which include, but are not limited to:
- Works closely with and support the work of the STA (Gender) to ensure that GE and the empowerment of women and adolescent girls is fully considered and integrated into ESP technical and management components, activities and planned results
- Manages field office, external consultants and other experts
- Leads or coordinates relevant committees, sub-committees, coordination working groups to ensure effective technical coordination, ensuring synergies across programs.
- Liaises with senior-level representatives on strategic issues, including ensuring effective coordination across other related programming
- Provides technical support to international and Canadian partners, CICan Manager of Operations, Senior Program Officer (SPO) and other team members
- Contributes to work plans, semi and annual reports, and technical reports
- Ensures implementation aligns with ministerial regional and national policy priorities
- Contributes senior technical level support to program monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) and gender equality (GE) and related risk assessments
- Participates in program inception missions and partnership selection processes
- Lead ESP procurement process and installation of equipment at Tanzanian partner institutions
- Coordinates with the Department of TVET, the Vocational Education and Training Authority (VETA), Ministry of Education Science and Technology (MOEST) and other Ministries as required
- Ensures familiarity with regulatory bodies needs (qualification frameworks, program approval, accreditation processes, curriculum design requirements and approaches, PLAR systems, micro credentials)
- Provides technical and policy advice/support to Ministries, TVET authorities, institutions and other key stakeholders
- Provides technical and subject matter expertise on the design and delivery of gender-responsive and environmentally sensitive, demand driven, CBET programs and courses
- Ensures attention is paid to the cross-cutting themes of gender, the environment and governance
- Fluency in English.
- Graduate of a post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated experience working in and/or with the Canadian college/institute system and networks.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with the Tanzanian TVET system and stakeholders.
- Extensive experience in skills training or TVET in the public and/or private sector with expertise in such areas as teacher training, planning, competency-based curriculum development and leadership and management training.
- Practical experience working in partnership with industry and TVET at a systems level to build effective training solutions to meet industry needs.
- Practical experience with monitoring, evaluation and learning in an international development context, including developing theories of change, developing and revising results-based management (RBM) tools, mobile data collection, working with M&E systems, and developing and using various reporting frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience applying gender equality concepts in an international development and/or education context.
- Strong experience working with budgets and with financial management.
- Demonstrated leadership and problem-solving capacity in cross-cultural settings and participatory management context.
- Practical experience in the implementation of educational development programs.
- Strong writing, reporting and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability using Microsoft Office Suite, Web and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) tools.
Agility: We thrive in a complex environment that requires nimbleness and adaptability, and we anticipate and respond to changes with quick and resourceful actions.
Inspiring others: We motivate individuals to strive for excellence and commit to common goals and purposes, as we create a sense of self-efficacy, resilience, and persistence in others.
Integrity: We treat others fairly and respectfully, and we further the standing of the organization and its relationships of trust with our members and other stakeholders.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé by May 17, 2021.
CICan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce. Do not hesitate to contact 613-842-5827 if you require alternative arrangements to submit your application.
CICan provides accommodations during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Employees who are full-time internal candidates, as defined by the Collective Agreement, will be given first consideration. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 20th May, 2021.