Senior Strategic Communications Officer at Agricultural Markets Development Trust (AMDT)
- Company: Agricultural Markets Development Trust (AMDT)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
This is a senior position within AMDT and instrumental in compiling and translating information from interventions into knowledge that can be shared internally and externally with other interested development stakeholders including the beneficiaries and the Government. The Senior Strategic Communications Officer will oversee the development of the AMDT Communication strategy and the conceptualization of the communication tools including forward thinking on the target audience for every information being communicated from the Trust. The Senior Strategic Communications Officer is expected at all times to work with AMDT Results Measurement Manager and Portfolio Analyst to understand and comprehend sub-sector strategies, plans, interventions and outcomes.
The Agriculture Markets Development Trust (AMDT) has been established by the Governments of Denmark, Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland in 2014 and the current Trustee is KPMG. The Trust has been established as a long term facility with the overall objective of increasing incomes and employment opportunities for poor women, men, and young people in Tanzania. With a strong pro-poor focus, the Trust works with the Private Sector, Government and Civil Society Organisations to promote the making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P)/Market Systems Development (MSD) approach that stimulates changes to market systems leading to broad and sustained impact on the lives of smallholder farmers as well as competitiveness of agricultural MSMEs. AMDT achieves this by investing, together with market actors, in interventions that are: (i) based on diagnosed constraints and pro-poor opportunities, (ii) are well coordinated to enhance the leveraging of investments and resources targeting similar outcomes, (iii) stimulate the development of inclusive, competitive, and resilient agricultural market systems, leading to sustained benefits and impacts for the productive poor.
In order to improve its ongoing interventions in the country, AMDT is now seeking qualified Tanzanian candidates to fill new vacant full-time positions. Brief descriptions and qualification requirements for the open positions are outlined below.
Reporting to: Technical Director
Key responsibilities for the position is divided into two main areas:
Ensuring that all information on AMDT portfolio of interventions, and where possible the interventions of others in the selected value chains, is standardised, packaged for appropriate use, and made easily accessible to key stakeholders, so as to enhance learning and coordination of value chain interventions, and sharing of information;
Specific Tasks will include:
- Work with AMDT staff and other stakeholders to develop AMDT Knowledge Management and Communications strategy, plans, and where necessary interventions;
- Ensure the application of a centralised, accessible, and user-friendly resources and system for all interventions and value chain information, program development opportunities, key contacts, and other essential information;
- Assist in the Monitoring, Verification and Reporting of AMDT interventions with the aim of ensuring that high quality, accurate and timely information/data and various analyses are collected and stored;
- Document coordinated field visits for external stakeholders to learn and share experience on the Trusts supported interventions and activities;
- Working closely with the Result Measurement manager to develop specific tools to be used in generating information for communication on Trusts work;
- Develop terms of reference, oversee, mentor and provide guidance to consultants, interns or other supporting staff within your domain;
- Work with other staff of the Trust to ensure the development of the Trust stakeholder/partners system for organising and managing contacts;
Working with staff and Trust’s partners, produce quality and edited multi-media content for publications (print and electronic), ensuring that it can be accessed by target audience through appropriate channels such as AMDT website, social media, publications, conferences and other forums or platforms.
Specific Tasks will include:
- Working with other Market Systems Analysts, Results measurement unit and other staff, Organise and facilitate high level meetings, events and workshops;
- Prepare and undertake presentations regarding the work of AMDT in various meetings to different stakeholders;
- Working closely with other units within the Trust to identify printers, publishers and other stakeholders so as to speed up availability of high quality communication materials;
- Take lead in the quality review of all the information and communication in form of responses to external stakeholders, publications of the Trust or any other information that is communicated to stakeholders and general public;
- Oversee the consistent promotion and application of AMDT brand and visual identity across external and internal communication products, including helping to crystallise and promote AMDT as a Markets Development facilitator;
- Work with AMDT staff, technical specialists and stakeholders to develop communication products relating to the two strategic pillars of AMDT (Strategic Advice and Market Facilitation). The communication products will include, but not limited to, high quality publications or reports, blogs and op-eds, short videos/documentaries, photo essays, brochures,newsletters, leaflets, policy briefs, case studies, and other social media content.
- Participate as a member in the development of the Trust’s Strategic and Annual plans including Quarterly, Bi-Annual and Annual reports;
- Develop periodic email newsletters and other direct communication tools targeting key or specific audiences;
- Oversee the compilation of the Trust’s stakeholders Annual reports version;
- Perform other tasks relating to knowledge generation, management and communication as identified by Technical Director.
The successful candidate will need to possess the following competences:
- Demonstrate understanding of knowledge management principles and best practices;
- Extensive experience and technical expertise in knowledge generation, management and capacity development in the agriculture sector;
- Good working knowledge of statistical and database applications;
- Proven track record of successfully delivering knowledge management strategies;
- Demonstrated experience in facilitation of cross-organisation lesson learning, capturing of intellectual capital, its dissemination and application, including development of collaborative tools to promote experience sharing and innovation;
- Familiarity with policy research and analysis, and ability to translate findings into clear, engaging and user-friendly contents for outreach and dissemination;
- Must be a self-directed, highly organized person who can effectively prioritize and follow through on multiple projects, simultaneously, a creative problem solver who takes pride in producing quality work, and is willing to learn new things;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the variety of communications and public outreach tools available to convey simple yet highly important messages;
- Experience with the use of social media for professional communications would be desirable;
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, excellent report writing, ability to convey information in a clear and concise manner, and organizational skills;
- Prior use of professional information systems, more specifically their design and use for reporting or production of communications materials and event organisation;
- Must demonstrate strong ability in working with diverse team;
- Has to be of unquestionable integrity;
- Interpersonal skills are essential.
- Minimum of a degree in Mass communication, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Business
Administration, Information and Communications Technology, Marketing, Policy, and appropriate research field or other related discipline;
- At least 7 years in similar position in donor funded programmes of which 5 years should have been in leadership position;
- At least 4 years of work in project or program cycle management in the agriculture sector preferably in Tanzania;
- Good knowledge of policy issues relating to business enabling environments (BEE), Gender, Youth, Climate Change mitigation and private sector led growth/development;
- A background or understanding of current trends in knowledge management and communication;
- Proficiency in writing for both English and Swahili languages.
Method of Application
To be considered for any position, an applicant must submit her/his CV (5 Pages Maximum), a capability statement letter that provides details of the applicant’s specific qualifications for the position (2 pages Maximum), and a copy of degree certificates only.
All applications to be send to: [email protected] and must be received on 18th August 2020 not later than 16.00 hrs EA time.
In the subject line of the email, write the title of the position for which you are applying. Applications that do not follow these instructions, or that do not meet the stated minimum qualification requirements will not be considered. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interview. AMDT is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women to apply.