Senior Project Officer-Gender And Financial Inclusion at Catholic Relief Services
- Company: Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Mbeya Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The successful candidate will provide overall technical advice, guidance, and support to a wide range of program design and implementation issues with a focus on Gender Equality and Social and financial Inclusion in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, and G9Ark guidelines. He/she will lead the program team in delivery of high-quality, gender-responsive and transformative approaches and financial inclusive programming for the poor and vulnerable. His/her technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative the project’s gender and financial inclusion approaches will be.
- Minimum Qualification: Masters
- Experience Level: Executive level
- Experience Length: 7 years
Project: TANZANIA EVERGREENING INITIATIVE
Location: MBEYA (WITH EXTENSIVE TRAVEL TO NJOMBE AND RUVUMA)
Reports To: PROGRAM MANAGER II
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official overseas relief and development organization of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and has served people living in poverty and situations of vulnerability in over 100 countries since 1943. In Tanzania, CRS has served vulnerable communities for over 50 years and implements its programs through partnerships with the Government of Tanzania, International and local organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
The anticipated Accelerating and Massively Scaling-up Land and Livelihood Restoration program is a climate change initiative to be funded by G9-2030 donors aimed at supporting climate-vulnerable communities in Tanzania to improve the sustainability and resilience of their ecosystem goods and services and increase household resilience and adaptive capacity. While working with the Government of Tanzania and different stakeholders, the program will take a multi-faceted, evidence-based approach to scaling-up evergreening practices and will develop equitable agroforestry value chains and ecosystem-based businesses to underpin the sustainability of the scaling-up process.
The anticipated program aims at improving livelihoods, food and nutrition security, and resilience to climate change for small scale farmers and/or pastoralist while restoring ecosystem services, particularly through evergreen agriculture, covering four zones in mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. These zones include the semi-arid agro-ecological zone of northern and central Tanzania, Southern Zone and Southern Highlands.
This 5-year climate change initiative will be implemented through a coalition of national and international NGOS including CARE, CRS, World Vision and ICRAF in close coordination with the Government of Tanzania
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of project strategies, standards, tools, and best practices in gender that effectively engage partners, donors and governments. Lead project’s gender audit contributing to improvements in gender mainstreaming across G9Ark’s programming.
- Provide gender technical and social/financial inclusion solutions to the project team, for strategic planning and applying program design and implementation standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools, and M&E, ensuring high-quality implementation with a gender lens.
- Lead or contribute to the development of the technical design for large and/or complex proposals, including conducting relevant gender or other social analyses, defining subsequent appropriate gender strategies and gender-responsive and transformative approaches, as relevant. Advise project team on integrating donor strategies, priorities and technical gender requirements into CRS’ approach.
- Conduct periodic assessment of gender and financial inclusion opportunities; and propose responsive measures to increase meaningful impact of the program investment to beneficiaries especially most vulnerable populations
- Contribute to capacity strengthening initiatives in gender integration and financial inclusion for the program staff and partner organizations through developing learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and workshops, and mentorship.
- Support the program to develop gender and disability inclusive regulatory frameworks that improve incentives for climate resilience and their effective implementation.
- Lead the project team to develop and conduct gender responsive community vulnerability and Capacity assessment at regional/ district levels
- Lead the implementation of gender sensitive investments that support the delivery of the program (For example: access to resources, representation, decision making, and leadership)
- Customize existing or develop new implementation manuals and refine local extension manuals in gender, youth-inclusive and where appropriate local language for evidence- based and contextually appropriate application of Evergreening practices
Requirements: Education, work experience and skills
- Master’s Degree in Gender and Development or related field (s) including internationaldevelopment, development economics, sociology, Community Development, Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Minimum of seven years relevant working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years’ experience programming interventions in gender equality, gender-based violence, female/girls empowerment and or social/ financial inclusion.
- Demonstrated expertise with facilitation, capacity strengthening and partnership building through formal and informal training in gender equality and related subject matter (male engagement, women/girls’ economic empowerment and other gender transformative approaches across sectors.)
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in gender integration. General knowledge of other related disciplines (specifically Protection Mainstreaming, Monitoring and Evaluation programming) to ensure proper cross-sectoral/integrated approach.
- Proven experiences in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices. Additional considerations for experience mentoring a remote team of experts/community of practice.
- In-depth knowledge of financial inclusion practices and models such as SILC/VSLA.
- Experience with programmatic gender analyses, assessments and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, with experience in qualitative data analysis, and data presentation.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision
- Good capacity to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented Willing and able to travel up to 60% in Mbeya, Njombe and Ruvuma
- Excellent Command of Swahili and English languages, in Swahili and English
Disclaimer: These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the respective position.
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to submit their applications to CRS Human Resources Manager at [email protected] by 17h00 EAT on 06 June 2020.
Only submissions that meet the following criteria will be reviewed
- Subject line must read indicate the position applied for.
- CV must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 4 pages.
- Cover letter summarizing qualifications and motivation. Cover letter must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 1 page.
- Kindly note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted