12 Jan 2022
Senior Program Associate at Results for Development (R4D)
Never Miss a Job Update Again. Click Here to Subscribe
- Company: Results for Development (R4D)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
The Market Shaping practice (MSP) is dedicated to transforming access to, and improving appropriate use of, essential and life-saving products in a holistic and sustainable manner. We develop, iterate on and support catalytic implementation of long-lasting solutions at the global and country levels to address challenges identified by country partners and backed by rigorous analyses. We’ve applied our expertise to achieve more than a billion dollars in savings in countries and supported improved access to high-quality products in health, nutrition, and education markets.
R4D is seeking a highly motivated and dynamic Senior Program Associate to provide technical support to the Market Shaping Practice’s Tanzania-based team. This position will report to the Market Shaping Practice Lead, a Senior Director based in Washington D.C.
Please note, this position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Tanzania nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a local benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
MSP projects include:
- Increasing access to childhood pneumonia treatments through iterative market shaping approaches in support of government leadership and in close collaboration with partners and other key market actors in several high-burden countries, including Ethiopia and Tanzania.
- Transforming markets for maternal, newborn, and child health medicines and devices across five Sub-Saharan African countries (Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania, Uganda).
- Identifying underlying market challenges and opportunities to address severe acute malnutrition.
- Partnering with the Government of Ethiopia to establish and support the Quantification and Market Shaping Directorateto spearhead country-owed and -led market shaping investment in the public health system.
- Explore more of our current and previous projects here.
As a part of this high-impact team, responsibilities may include:
- Conduct in-depth qualitative and quantitative research and analyses, including critical review of literature and interviews with experts, to identify bottlenecks in public and private essential commodity markets primarily in Tanzania.
- Help to develop analytic and written presentations and deliverables to communicate key findings and recommendations from analyses to internal and external audiences
- Engage extensively and effectively with diverse stakeholders, including government agencies, procurers, policymakers, healthcare providers, implementing partners and private sector entities
- Execute on project work plans and activities in a high-quality and timely manner and help identify creative ways to expand current work in Tanzania.
- Assist in the development of knowledge management and communication strategies to promote the dissemination and uptake of R4D’s work in Tanzania.
- As part of the work on MSP’s Childhood Pneumonia Program, responsibilities may include:
- Work closely with the Ministry of Health, Medical Stores Department, and the Government Clearing Agency to streamline procurement and clearance processes, ensuring amoxicillin DT (WHO-recommended first line treatment for pneumonia) consignments are delivered and cleared in a timely manner.
- Support the coordination of different government and non-government stakeholders to ensure there is a sustainable financing mechanism for amox DT and other child health commodities.
- Participate in various government policy technical working groups, providing technical expertise to ensure that policies are updated to promote increased access to amox DT and other child health commodities in the public and private sector.
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Health in the quantification and supply planning of amox DT and other child health commodities. This includes utilizing and analyzing various data points from the government systems including the Electronic Logistics Management Information Systems (ELMIS), District Health Information Software (DHIS2) and the Epicor 10 (E10) inventory systems to inform the quantification process and ensure that the quantities forecasted reflect the actual needs of the country.
- Support the implementation of the strategy to increase access to amox DT in the private sector through coordination and planning of stakeholder engagement, desk research/reviews as necessary, and data collection and analysis.
- Support R4D’s Monitoring and Evaluation team in assessing availability levels of amox DT and other essential health commodities in public health facilities across Tanzania.
The following activities will support the overall operations of the Tanzania office:
- Support country office operations as it relates to office re-opening logistics.
- Support the INGO compliance reporting process (e.g., proof-reading documents, ensuring all requirements are met, etc.).
- Coordinate effective quarterly work planning cycles amongst programmatic and operational teams.
- Support effective implementation of weekly team meetings.
Qualifications / Requirements
You’re a great fit if you are:
- Genuinely passionate about markets-based approaches to drive sustainable impact.
- A strong communicator with excellent interpersonal skills, able to vary one’s style based on the audience and distill complex concepts into clear messaging.
- Energized by working on complex projects in global contexts, particularly in low- and middle-income countries.
- Highly analytical, and a structured and creative problem solver.
- Enthusiastic about working within a culturally diverse team.
- Collaborative, approachable, and invested in enabling a positive working environment.
Your experience should include:
- Bachelor’s degree with minimum 3 years of relevant work experience OR Master’s degree in related field of study with 1 year of relevant work experience in public health, pharmaceutical sciences, economics, international development, or other related field of study. Relevant work experience preferred in public health related to healthcare markets or health systems.
- Demonstrated track record of analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and developing analytical products.
- Ability to think and solve problems in a structured and logical manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders in multicultural environments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to develop short presentations and written reports.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team, and deliver high-quality results within fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Significant experience in Tanzania or East Africa strongly preferred, including experience working in the Tanzanian public health sector such as the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Medical Stores Department (MSD), and/or Tanzania Medicine and Medical Devices Authority (TMDA).
- Previous experience monitoring supply of commodities in the public-sector healthcare system, and/or experience in national quantification activities is preferred.
- Private sector supply chain management / supply chain optimization experience preferred.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Fluency in oral and written Kiswahili and English.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering
and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 23rd January , 2022.