Senior Procurement Specialist at World Bank
- Company: World Bank
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Tanzania
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
The Governance Global Practice (GGP) comprises a variety of different professional disciplines and has the following three thematic areas:
• Solutions and Innovations in Procurement (SIP) Group focuses on advancing modern and open procurement systems, integrity in procurement, as well as its fiduciary management functions of Bank-funded operations.
• Financial Accountability and Reporting (FAR) Group focuses on transparency, financial accountability, and financial Reporting in the private and public sectors. This will include accountability of institutions, oversight bodies and regulators, as well as financial management functions of Bank-funded operations.
• Public Sector and Institutions (PSI) Group focuses on key areas that underpin public sector and institutional reform. Some of the high priority cross-cutting issues are revenue mobilization, global tax issues and fiscal decentralization, open government, and justice for the poor.
The GGP interventions range from diagnostics, technical assistance, and advisory services, learning, innovation and knowledge management and sharing, creating peer learning platforms, lending and reform project implementation, and monitoring and reporting. An important part of its responsibilities is to deliver operational support to other Practices, including through inputs for policy-based operations, hands-on implementation advice and direct fiduciary due diligence of investment financing.
The Solutions and Innovations in Procurement (SIP) Department convenes a leading group of practitioners focused on advancing cutting-edge practices and innovations in the fields of procurement and contract management. In that context, the SIP Department supports governments and non-governmental actors in institutional strengthening and capacity building, improvement and modernization of procurement and information systems, ensuring efficiency of transactions through better project design and implementation support with the objectives of improved governance and enhanced development outcomes. The SIP Department advances these efforts across sectors and across all regions of the world.
The key themes of SIP Group are as follows:
• Provide technical advice on procurement fiduciary activities and lead policy dialogue on procurement with client countries.
• Support client countries in achieving value for money in public procurement and contract management in order to enhance service delivery and development outcomes with integrity.
• Create the space for procurement/governance innovation to happen.
• Establish proactive processes to identify and deploy knowledge to solve specific problems, and improve development outcomes in client countries.
• Facilitate and join global platforms to share knowledge and practices across the world.
The Africa unit of the Solutions and Innovations in Procurement (SIP) Department of GGP seeks to recruit a locally hired Senior Procurement Specialist to be based in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania to provide support for the Bank’s Tanzania portfolio. This position is geared to assisting the World Bank staff, the client Governments and other agencies in implementing World Bank-financed projects/programs by providing critical procurement advice and support and Public Procurement Reforms. The ideal candidate would combine a deep understanding of project procurement in different sectors with a considerable knowledge of the budget execution issues in developing countries. S/he will have demonstrated operational and analytic skills and will possess strong knowledge and understanding of contemporary project procurement management and Public Procurement. Competency in English language is required. Knowledge of core public procurement principles and working experience with design and implementation of e-Government Procurement Systems and Supply Chain Management will be an added advantage.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Scope of Work (summary of major job accountabilities at the full working level)
* Works independently on procurement matters in specific sectors in the performance of the Bank’s fiduciary and service functions, seeking guidance on complex projects/issues from senior procurement staff.
* Employs appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues.
* Supports clients in achieving value for money in the Bank financed operations and in public procurement in order to enhance service delivery and development outcomes with integrity.
*Supports borrowers in upfront project design, market research and analysis, market sounding and designing fit for purpose procurement strategies. and assisting in preparation of Project Procurement Strategy for Development with an understanding of project context and relevant procurement markets information.
*Support clients in developing appropriate analytical tools and approaches to define more effective and informed risk management and procurement strategies.
* Is responsible for reviewing and handling the technical, commercial and legal aspects of procurement (in consultation with Legal and Policy departments as necessary) at all stages of the project cycle, to include analysis of systemic and other procurement issues, procurement planning, design, implementation and management, and training.
* Provides operational advice to clients and Bank staff on concepts, policies and procedures for international and local procurement.
*Advice borrowers on procurement complaints handling and effective contract implementation management.
* Participates in missions as sole procurement expert on large projects; assesses procurement implications of project design, evaluates institutional capacity of borrowers and develops suitable Project Procurement Strategy for Development and procurement plans.
* Participates in country procurement assessments, prepares background analysis, collaborates on developing appropriate public procurement legislation and practices and tailors instruments to meet specific client needs.
* Negotiates and resolves difficult procurement issues with Borrower agencies and handles questions/complaints from senior officials and contractors on bidding and award issues.
* Designs and conducts workshops to educate procurement professionals in the Bank and in borrower agencies on the Bank’s philosophy and approach to procurement, the rationale of its policy framework, relevant procedures and processes, as well as on specialized procurement topics.
* Prepares a range of procurement-related documents and reports.
* Handles appropriate interaction with country counterparts on sector, organizational, human resources management, financial, economic and regulatory practices.
* Works closely with the other senior procurement specialists in the country office under general direction of Accredited Practice Manager and under direct supervision of Procurement Hub Coordinator, and guides and mentors more junior staff.
* Works closely with management and counterparts across the Bank as well as with counterpart officials in government, multi-national organizations, donor and other agencies.
• Good knowledge of all concepts and principles of and approaches to international procurement, and of public procurement systems.
• Specialized knowledge of and significant experience in 2-3 substantive areas/aspects of procurement and contract management (e.g., various forms of construction contracts; selection/contracting of consultant services; preparation of bidding/contract documents for the international procurement of goods, works, services; technical specs in design and construction of facilities; public procurement policies, practices, institutions in developed and/or developing countries; e-procurement etc.).
• Experience in upfront project design, market research and analysis, market sounding (vendor conference) and designing fit for purpose procurement strategies.
• Experience in handling complaints and resolving it in a timely manner.
• Experience in supporting contract management of large civil works/supply & installation and goods contracts.
• Proven analytical and evaluative skills, including the ability to independently provide well researched analyses of key procurement issues and problems.
• Knowledge and understanding of technical, commercial, and legal aspects of procurement at all phases of Bank’s lending operations.
• Understanding of political economy, public policy, public systems and public management.
• Understanding of Bank’s business objectives, policies and practices related to project/sector and critical links to procurement.
• Minimum Education: An advanced degree with a major in a relevant discipline e.g. Engineering, Law, Procurement, Finance, Business or Commerce. Master’s degree in any relevant areas.
• Minimum of 5 years of direct relevant experience in carrying out technical duties in procurement involving both National and International Bidding and contract management.
• Knowledge and working experience with design and implementation of e-Government Procurement Systems and Supply Chain Management will be an added advantage.
• High level of integrity.
• Language Requirement: English (Essential)
• Strong communication skills and persuasiveness in presenting, discussing and resolving difficult issues, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to identify complex issues and to respond and handle accordingly; does not add unnecessary complexity to tasks or projects.
• Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective business relationships with clients and colleagues.
• Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 25th November, 2021.