Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer at Ifakara Health Institute (IHI
- Company: Ifakara Health Institute (IHI
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Position: Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (1 post) – TMSA
Reports To: Director of Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
Work Station: Dar es Salaam
Apply By: October 11, 2022
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and policy translation.
Ifakara Health Institute is seeking a Senior M&E Officer to join the PMI | Tanzania Malaria Surveillance Activity (TMSA) team. The Officer will support the MEL Director in the implementation of the project’s monitoring, evaluation and learning plan. The Officer will be the primary contact and responsible for all day-to-day M&E functions and activities, including working with technical staff to coordinate data collection, data quality and reporting in time to meet key deadlines. The Officer will provide support to project staff and government counterparts in data management, analysis and interpretation for continuous quality improvement of malaria services. The Officer will also liaise with the Data Scientist, Digital Health specialist, and the Surveillance team to ensure that malaria indicators can be tracked through DHIS2 and other relevant databases. The Officer will also work closely with the Knowledge Management & Communication Officer and Technical staff to facilitate presentations and dissemination of TMSA’s results at conferences and through scientific writing.
The PMI | Tanzania Malaria Surveillance Activity is a five-year program (August 2022 – August 2027) implemented by Ifakara Health Institute, which supports the Government of Tanzania (GOT) in reducing malaria burden and in moving towards malaria elimination. The Activity is made possible by the support of the American people through the US President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The PMI | TMSA works with the GOT to reduce malaria burden and move towards the long-term goal of malaria elimination―while achieving USAID’s strategy to support institutional growth and capacity development for local institutions. The PMI | TMSA will address the urgent healthcare needs of malaria at-risk populations, especially vulnerable pregnant women and children under five, and support Tanzania partners to grow and execute malaria programs sustainably and successfully.
The PMI | TMSA project will primarily work to support both facility- and community-based malaria activities in all districts of Katavi region, as well as making contributions to the national malaria priorities through the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the MEL Director with the development of the M&E Plan and tools for the project.
- Ensure effective implementation of project monitoring and evaluation plan which entails collection of relevant data, management of the information and preparation of periodic reports.
- Coordinate the monitoring and evaluation of the TMSA activities, ensuring that outputs are provided to the project leadership in a timely way.
- Conduct training sessions for the program staff on the M&E aspects and information.
- Provide TMSA program staff with all necessary M&E inputs, including developing work plans and indicator frameworks.
- Conduct continuous monitoring, evaluations, and post-project evaluations for activities through field visits, meetings with stakeholders, interviews with beneficiaries, surveys and assessments.
- Maintain the established reporting system including databases (MSDQI, USAID-DIS, USAID GIS, etc) and support routine reporting.
- Work closely with TMSA field teams to generate council and component-specific (Malaria Case Management & MIP, TES, SBCC interventions, etc) monthly data summaries for project monitoring.
- Ensure data quality by conducting regular data verification, cleaning and data quality assessments on planned and on situational environments.
- In collaboration with TMSA field level officers coordinate and conduct regular data review meetings with counterparts at regional, council and facility levels.
- Collect, document and disseminate best practices and lessons learned from the implementation sites in collaboration with TMSA Knowledge Management & Communication Officer.
- Work with MEL Director to prepare project reports and trends analysis in summary form for quarterly monitoring forums and reporting.
- Establish proper filing and documentation of TMSA M&E data as per USAID’s data retention policy.
- Participate in and contribute to TMSA evaluations and special studies.
- Develop and upload quarterly reports to the donor database (USAID DIS) for verification and submission on time.
- Perform other activities as required by the MEL Director.
- Attend all relevant staff meetings.
- Participate in relevant HR and performance management processes.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, health informatics, computer science, demography, social science, statistics or any other related academic discipline.
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience in the monitoring and evaluation fields.
- Experience in working with malaria case management/surveillance interventions will be an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong data analysis, graphical data presentation, dissemination, report writing and publication skills.
- Experience in working in NGOs active in health-related services.
- Experience working with USAID-funded projects will be an added advantage.
- Familiarity with National Health Information Systems (HIS) especially DHIS2.
- Excellent analytical skills combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent computer skills specifically with Ms. Excel, Ms. Access, PowerPoint presentation and Statistical Software (SPSS, STATA).
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, data management and report writing.
- Strong ability of writing and public speaking skills with good command of English and Swahili.
- Good interpersonal and people management skills, a team player and builder.
- Availability and willingness to travel up to 30% time.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Method of ApplicationAll candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 23:59hrs on Tuesday, October 11th, 2022. All e-mail application subject lines should include: SENIOR M&E OFFICER – TMSA. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Email: [email protected]
The deadline for this application is 23:59hrs on Tuesday, October 11th, 2022.