Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability And Learning Officer at Catholic Relief Services
- Company: Catholic Relief Services
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Mbeya Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The Senior MEAL Officer will manage implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) activities of the project, advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. You will work closely with Program Manager and partner staff to implement high quality MEAL systems and tools which address indicators set out in the project proposal. Your skills and knowledge will ensure that the project delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming. The candidate is expected to forge strong collaboration with other MEAL staff within CRS especially CRS MEAL manager and a coalition of national and international NGOS to make sure that similar approaches and strategies are shared and applied across the agency but cultivating learning across the agency and coalition.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Executive level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Project : TANZANIA EVERGREENING INITIATIVE
Location: MBEYA (WITH EXTENSIVE TRAVEL TO NJOMBE AND RUVUMA)
Reports To: PROGRAM MANAGER II
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official overseas relief and development organization of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and has served people living in poverty and situations of vulnerability in over 100 countries since 1943. In Tanzania, CRS has served vulnerable communities for over 50 years and implements its programs through partnerships with the Government of Tanzania, International and local organizations and community entities for maximum impact and sustainability.
The anticipated Accelerating and Massively Scaling-up Land and Livelihood Restoration program is a climate change initiative to be funded by G9-2030 donors aimed at supporting climate-vulnerable communities in Tanzania to improve the sustainability and resilience of their ecosystem goods and services and increase household resilience and adaptive capacity. While working with the Government of Tanzania and different stakeholders, the program will take a multi-faceted, evidence-based approach to scaling-up evergreening practices and will develop equitable agroforestry value chains and ecosystem-based businesses to underpin the sustainability of the scaling-up process.
The anticipated program aims at improving livelihoods, food and nutrition security, and resilience to climate change for small scale farmers and/or pastoralist while restoring ecosystem services, particularly through evergreen agriculture, covering four zones in mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar. These zones include the semi-arid agro-ecological zone of northern and central Tanzania, Southern Zone and Southern Highlands.
This 5-year climate change initiative will be implemented through a coalition of national and international NGOS including CARE, CRS, World Vision and ICRAF in close coordination with the Government of Tanzania.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical inputs in quality MEAL system design, including tools and methods, appropriate to scope, context, and technical requirements of the project
- Oversees and manages routine data collection and reporting activities at project-level.
- Oversees implementation of periodic assessments and evaluation, and use of findings to support adaptive management
- Manages analysis of MEAL data, qualitative and quantitative to ensure quality reporting and sharing of learnings
- Conducts data quality assessment and provide recommendations for quality data collection and management practices.
- Integrates data analysis, reflection and interpretation and use with ongoing project activities through quarterly reflection meetings, implementing partners meeting and external conferences.
- Ensures compliance with donor and agency MEAL requirements including designing and implementation of beneficiary feedback and response mechanism.
- Supports documentation and sharing of learnings and experiences in broader country program discussions.
- Builds capacity of partners in MEAL
- Plans and budgets appropriately for quality MEAL activities
Requirements: Education, work experience and skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agricultural Economics/Agribusiness, Social Sciences, Statistics or other related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in MEAL related roles with progressive responsibilities,
- Experience with an international NGO, with minimum of two years of relevant field-based experiences in monitoring and evaluation, research and data management in one of the following agricultures and livelihood, climate change or agroforestry value chain related interventions.
- Knowledge of technical principles and concepts of M&E, research, and data management.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analysis experience and skills with proven ability to work with statistical software such as SPSS/STATA and advance excel.
- Experience in using ICT4 MEAL in data collection, management and visualization such as ODK, Arc Survey, Commcare and GIS mapping and remote sensing tools.
- Demonstrated ability to build staff capacity and capacity strengthening best practices.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Strong skills in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) as well as SPSS & STATA,
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports.
- Proactive, results-oriented, and service-oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to build staff capacity.
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 30% of the time to project sites
- Excellent Command of Swahili and English languages, in Swahili and English
Disclaimer: These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the respective position.
CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified applicants are requested to submit their applications to CRS Human Resources Manager at [email protected] by 17h00 EAT on 06 June 2020. Only submissions that meet the following criteria will be reviewed • Subject line must read indicate the position applied for. • CV must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 4 pages. • Cover letter summarizing qualifications and motivation. Cover letter must be in Word or PDF format and not exceed 1 page. • Kindly note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted