Senior Mechanical Engineer x3 at TAZARA
- Company: TAZARA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
The Tanzania Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA) is a Statutory Institution owned by the two Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Zambia on a 50/50 share holding basis, with its registered head Office being in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The Authority has two Regional Administrative Centres, one in Mpika, Zambia and the other in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Tanzanians to fill the vacant position of:
Job Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Salary Scale: TSG 12
Reporting to: Workshop Manager
Location: DSM Workshops
Number of post : Three (3) post
To provide reliable, efficient and cost effective motive power, rolling stock and related equipment to traffic in the Region so as to meet traffic haulage requirements.
- Design and implement mechanical operations systems for the provision of reliable, efficient and cost effective rolling stock, motive power and related equipment to traffic in the region in order to sustain volume of passenger and freight traffic.
- Approve detailed plans and schedules for maintenance activities, determining priorities at locomotive sheds, rolling stock, repair sidings and repair shop in line with traffic requirements, workshop facilities and available labour force.
- Control utilisation of fuels, oils, motive power and rolling stock to ensure achievement of targets within economic constraints.
- Review, train schedules taking into account availability of motive power, rolling stock, traffic volume and personnel in order to enhance train movements vis-a-vis traffic haulage.
- Control and Co-ordinate district mechanical activities to improve maintenances work and reduce work load on central workshops.
- Analyses train failures with a view to eliminate cases such failures along the line in conjunction with Civil Engineering in order to maximise on locomotive and rolling stock turn round time.
- Provide train accident statistics to management appraising causes, financial, capital losses and recommending remedial action to forestall future occurrences.
- Monitor maintenance of motor vehicles to ensure conformance to laid down procedures/schedules and enhance reliability, availability and cost effective running of same.
- Goal-oriented and able to work independently to achieve results, as well as able to collaborate with a diverse team.
- Able to write analytical and technical reports.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize tasks and projects.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Form IV/VI Certificate.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent from a reputable University.
- Six (06) years relevant experience as engineer, two (2) of which should be at Senior Engineer level.
- Not more than 45 years of age.
- Post graduate work experience at senior level, will be an added advantage;
- Registered Member of the Engineers registration board (ERB) as professional engineer in Tanzania.
Method of ApplicationOnly candidates who meet the specified requirement need to apply to the address indicated below, enclosing their detailed curriculum vitae, certified copies of educational certificates, names and address of three traceable reference.
The Human Resource Manager
Tanzania Zambia Railway Authority
Junction of Nelson Mandela & Julius Nyerere Road
P.O. Box 2834
DAR ES SALAAM
Closing date for receiving application letters is two weeks from the date of advert issued. Only short-listed candidates will be communicated to. Please note that no faxed or electronic applications will be accepted.