Senior Laboratory Officer – TB & Biosafety at MDH
- Company: MDH
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
POSITION TITLE: Senior Laboratory Officer – TB & Biosafety
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam
REPORTS TO: Laboratory Project Manager
Position Summary: The Senior Laboratory Project Officer – TB & Biosafetyisa self-motivated individual who will work in close collaboration with the MOHCDGEC though NTLP, CTRL, NHL-QATC, R/CHMTs and Development Partners to guarantee provision of effective national support in laboratory HIV/ TB program. He/She will ensure the highest technical, logistical and administrative performance of the TB and Biosafety/Biosecurity laboratory activities in line with the National Health laboratory services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Design and Implement supervisions, trainings and coordinate mentorship programs to the GeneXpert sites across the country to improve quality of HIV and TB testing.
2. Support the expansion and coordination of the new and rapid techniques to diagnose TB, essentially GeneXpert MTB/Rif technology and LPA techniques.
3. Support the planning, implementation, and monitoring of TB laboratory quality assurance (external and internal).
4. Identifying and providing technical support to scale up the GxAlert system and collection and reporting of GeneXpert data on functionality and utilization in coordination with the NTLP/CTRL.
5. Developing checklists and tools, support field data collection on GeneXpert functionality and utilization, and develop and facilitate implementation of site-specific improvement plans in collaboration with the NTLP/CTRL and Regional Implementing Partners.
6. Coordinates regular visits to laboratories to assist with performing biosafety risk assessments, using personal protective equipment (PPE), implementing decontamination procedures, packaging and shipping of infectious agents, and reviewing waste management plans.
7. Collaborate with MoHCDGEC and HIV/TB stakeholders to ensure trouble shooting, maintenance and certification of GeneXpert machine are done according to MOHCDGEC guidelines and manufacturer instructions.
8. Provide technical support to NHL-QATC in enhancing and maintaining activities to support the National calibration center.
9. Collaborate with MOHCDGEC and HIV/TB stakeholders to develop Biosafety guideline, printing and dissemination of the guidelines as well as to organize and conduct user training and supportive supervision to facilitate its use.
10. Design and implement regular orientations, sensitizations and review meetings in collaboration with stakeholders to objectively enhance the uptake and performance of the Laboratory HIV/TB program.
11. Conduct annual biosafety and biosecurity assessment in collaboration with MOHCDGEC and communicate identified gaps that need to be addressed by the laboratories.
12. Provide technical and logistical supports to R/CHMTs and IPs to achieve effective integration of the TB sample transportation into the national laboratory sample referral system and to optimize overall network efficiency to improve access to GeneXpert tests to PLHIV.
13. In collaboration with the data officer, participate in preparation of M&E quarterly based feedback reports to MoHCDGEC, CDC, RHMTs, CHMTs and IPs.
14. Ensure effective execution of the approved work plan and budget to achieve the set targets.
15. Prepare, review and submit progress reports weekly, monthly, quarterly and as needed.
16. Participate in the development of workplan and budget.
17. Carry out any other responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Requirements Education, Work experience and Skills:
1. A Degree or Master’s degree in Medical Laboratory or Biomedical science and other related skills.
2. Additional training in the Molecular diagnosis techniques, Laboratory Quality Management or public health related courses will be an added advantage.
3. A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in working with PEPFAR funded programs in Laboratory management position or in implementing ISO 150189, SLMTA standards especially in TB/ HIV care and treatment settings.
4. Conversant in Molecular techniques for diagnosis of infectious diseases such as HIV and TB.
5. Skilled in implementations of laboratory waste management, Biosafety/ biosecurity measures based on the set standards.
6. Previous experience of working with the various stakeholders including R/CHMTs, Implementing Partners and other Government entities.
7. Familiar with Laboratory supply chain management and reagents quantification.
8. Experience in organizing/coordinating high level meetings and trainings that involves different stakeholders.
Other Special Qualifications/Skills
1. Proficiency in Microsoft office especially Excel and Power Point Presentation or any other statistical software for data analysis.
2. Results oriented individual with ability to meet set target with competing priorities.
3. Ability to work both as individual and as a team with minimum supervision.
Method of ApplicationInterested candidates for any of the above positions should submit an application letter, a detailed copy of their CV, names and contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) of three work related referees. The candidate MUST clearly indicate the Title of the position applied for (as it appears in the advertisement) on the heading of the email. Applications should be submitted to the Human Resource Director through email [email protected] by 30th September 2021.
MDH DO NOT have any agents and DO NOT charge any fees to the interested candidates. Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.