Senior Grid Extension Advisor, East Africa at RTI International
- Company: RTI International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
RTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA, with approximately 5,000 employees and 30 years of experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We implement a variety of projects worldwide focusing on improving energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working with governments on legal and regulatory reforms, and increasing underserved populations’ access to energy. RTI is implementing on behalf of Power Africa/USAID a four-year, 10-country energy program focused on East Africa, the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP). Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Uganda comprise the EAEP priority countries. Other project countries include Djibouti, Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This four-year task order runs through December 2022.
RTI is hiring a Senior Grid Extension Advisor to oversee all work under EAEP’s Objective 2, Increased Grid-Based Power Connections, which focuses on adding new grid-based customers and reducing the cost and time requirements of adding new customers. This position will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and will be responsible for overseeing the work in multiple countries, starting with the priority countries listed above.
Responsible for facilitating the connection of new end-users to the grid via regularization, grid densification, and grid extension – with a focus on enhancing the cost-effectiveness and speed of electrification. Promotes increased grid-based productive and direct use applications and reduced grid connection costs for both customers and utilities.
- Lead Objective 2 Team – and supervise 7 direct reports and manage various sub- contractors
- Support utilities with long-term planning of transmission and distribution networks, including load forecasting, system analysis studies (load flow, fault and dynamic studies) with the aid of engineering simulation software (PSS/E, PSS Sincal, DigSilent, or similar) documented in master or expansion plans
- Support utilities and rural electrification agencies in reducing the cost of connections and time required to connect to the grid
- Work with the relevant utility/regulator to design and implement innovative, alternative business models for new on-grid connections
- Work with the relevant stakeholders and utilities to create demand for on-grid connections in several East African countries
- Develop training workshop programs and train utility staff on integrating geospatial and engineering platforms into their daily operations and electrification plans
- Improve utilities’ procurement procedures and train them on how to follow the guidelines and templates of international lending agencies or donors
- Support utilities with rehabilitation and expansion of transmission and distribution (T&D) networks by providing them with technical assistance on T&D operational improvements
- Manage subcontractor’s tasks and deliverables as per all above.
Required minimum qualification and experience
- Minimum of Master’s degree in engineering, economics, or a related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in utility transmission and distribution planning and grid extension, with 5 years direct international work experience in developing countries; experience in East Africa desirable
- Preference will be given to candidates who have PSS/E, PSS/Sincal, DigSilent or similar experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated success managing and leading technical and administrative teams
- Demonstrated ability to build effective relationships with clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting
- Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization; ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGOs, and other agencies
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within the broader team.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Experience in general business administration and financial management
- Ability to speak, read, and write at a professional level in English language
Ethics Notice: No one at RTI may ever demand payment for anything of value in exchange for anything related to the hiring process (including, for example, for applying for, interviewing for, or receiving any offer of employment). If any such request is made, please report this request confidentially to RTI’s Ethics office at [email protected] Any payment made will disqualify any applicant from future employment at RTI. Please only use the [email protected] email address to report ethics concerns; any job applications sent to this email address will not be processed.
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include: remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time; operating a computer and other office machinery; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between offices and laboratories; frequently conducting laboratory site inspections (if applicable), ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines, ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, consistent demonstration of mental stability and ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, per RTI procedure 4.2.1.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 16th November, 2020.