Senior Grants Manager at International Rescue Committee
- Company: International Rescue Committee
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Tanzania
Requisition ID: req46473
Job Title: Senior Grants Manager
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
For over half a century, Tanzania has been a country of asylum, hosting one of the largest refugee populations in Africa. Currently, the country hosts approximately 247,000 Burundian and Congolese refugees, many of whom arrived in 2015 as the crisis in Burundi increased. To date, refugees continue to co-exist with the host communities in Kigoma region expressing multiple reasons and needs. Within this context, IRC provides protection and basic assistance in the areas Safety (comprises of Protection and Rule of Law, Women Protection and Empowerment, and Child Protection), Health (mental health and psychosocial support services and reproductive health) and Education.
The Senior Grants Manager (SGM) is responsible to support in the management of IRC’s grants portfolio in Tanzania. This position is key in managing the grants portfolio throughout the project cycle and in ensuring compliance with donor and IRC requirements and business development efforts. The SGMs reports directly to the Grants Coordinator(s) and will have immediate supervision for field-based Grants Officers. The position is based in Dar es Salam and Kasulu Offices with periodic travel to other IRC’s field offices and project sites, as needed. The SGMs will work closely with program staff, finance, and operations on compliance, donor regulations, reporting, and business development. S/he will also liaise closely with IRC’s global Award’s Management Unit to meet organizational performance goals for grants management.
Grants Management and Compliance
- Oversee and manage donor and internal reporting processes, ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports are submitted. Prepare and circulate templates, coordinate inputs, and review and edit in line with donor expectations and contractual deadlines. Maintain close collaboration with all relevant departments in their preparation.
- Ensure that IRC’s grants in Tanzania are well-administered and implemented in compliance with the relevant donor regulations and IRC procedures.
- Ensure the smooth roll out and adherence to IRC Project Cycle Management (PCM) through coordinating programme design, planning, opening, implementation, closing and learning meetings.
- Support coordinating and facilitating in country Budget vs Actual (BVA) discussions to provide grant specific compliance guidance and address challenges in grant health
- Support the Grants Coordinator and program teams to provide timely responses to donor and HQ grant-related requests.
- Ensure quality information management related to grants by overseeing the regular maintenance of online grant files (OTIS and Box), reporting calendars, and updating of internal IRC documentation and Grant Unit tools
- Support program and partnership staff in grant revisions, cost extensions, no-cost extensions, budget realignments, and other amendments as required
- Act as a focal point for donor rules and regulations and provide support to program team on questions around compliance.
- Identify potential compliance concerns and flag them to the Grants Coordinator as required.
Program Design & Proposal Development
- Working with the Grants Coordinator, technical leads, and technical advisors, support the development of comprehensive program design and develop funding proposals/concept notes, appropriate to context and aligned with the country-level Strategic Action Plan.
- Support development of concept notes and proposals, providing both writing and editing support, as required
- Assist Grants Coordinator in donor/HQ liaison and communication as requested.
- Support in the reviews of sub-grants for compliance with donor rules and regulations
- Provide feedback and request clarifications on sub-grant documents that have been submitted for approval
- Support in the drafting of partner agreements
- Support in keeping of proper and updated master files on sub-grants both hard copy and in box.
- Support in the facilitation and oversee all internal, external, and sub-grantee reporting with programs and finance, ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and IRC requirement.
Donor Relations and Communication
- As requested, liaise with donors regarding grants and grant management particularly field level donor engagement.
- Maintain excellent relationships internally within IRC and with all IRC’s existing partners, and local authorities.
- Maintain necessary donor files on grants including hard copy and box.
- Ensure regular reporting for the NGO Registrar is complete, in partnership with the External Liaison.
People Management and Capacity Building
- Directly supervise field based grants staff, building their capacity and supporting their professional development.
- Build grant management capacity of field staff by assisting Grants Coordinator in trainings, and providing support in report writing, proposal development, budget management, IRC-specific tools, and other topics as/if needed.
Key Result Areas
- Donor and IRC compliance
- Effective Grants Operational Meetings
- Effective partner management
- Quality Proposals (Narratives and Budgets)
- Quality reports
- Proper record keeping
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in international relations or a related field, or relevant work experience Fluency in English and Swahili, spoken and written.
- At least three years’ work experience in humanitarian/development setting with proven field-based experience with grants management and business development
- Experience with program design and proposal writing (including logical frameworks).
- Sound budget development capacity and financial management skills.
- Prior knowledge of donor regulations (BPRM, FCDO, GFFO, UNHCR, UNFPA etc.)
- Good communicator with strong organizational, time management and analytical skills.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities and lead tasks independently while being a strong team player for the grants team.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and proven track record to handle pressure and improve grant management processes.
- Excellent inter-personal, cultural, and diplomatic skills.
- Strong capacity to mentor and build capacity of staff.
Key working relationships:
Position reports to: Grants Coordinator
Position directly supervises: Grants Officer
Security level yellow – The situation in most of the country is calm. Some parts of Kigoma experience insecurity-highway banditry.
Diversity, Inclusion and Gender Equality
IRC acknowledges and honors the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. IRC is also committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 11th November, 2023.