Senior Director at BRAC Tanzania
- Company: Brac
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
About BRAC/BRAC International
BRAC is an international development organisation with the vision of a world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination, where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential. BRAC uses an integrated model to change systems of inequity through social development programmes, humanitarian response, social enterprises, socially responsible investments, and a university. BRAC is a global leader in developing cost-effective, evidence-based programmes in conflict-prone and post-disaster settings and has been ranked the #1 NGO in the world for the last three consecutive years by NGO Advisor.
BRAC’s unique holistic approach to poverty alleviation includes a range of core programmes in economic and social development. BRAC’s institutional expertise on successfully implemented programmes is applied in countries where their models are either replicated or adapted according to the country context. Together, BRAC aims to help people realise their potential and create opportunities through multi-stakeholder collaboration.
BRAC acts as a catalyst, creating opportunities for people living in poverty. The organisation is specialised in piloting, perfecting, and scaling innovations to impact the lives of millions. With over 120,000 staff worldwide, BRAC is now almost completely self-sustainable through its network of social enterprises and investments and operates in 12 countries across Asia and Africa: Bangladesh (where it was born), Afghanistan, Liberia, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Pakistan.
BRAC International was set up in 2009 as a non-profit foundation in the Netherlands to govern and manage all BRAC entities outside Bangladesh, except for affiliates in the UK and the US with offices established in The Hague, New York, and London.
Maintaining strong relationships between BRAC USA and BRAC UK with the management and programmes of BRAC Bangladesh and BRAC International are essential for BRAC, based on joint regional and global frameworks.
A world free from all forms of exploitation and discrimination where everyone has the opportunity to realise their potential.
BRAC’s mission is to empower people and communities in situations of poverty, illiteracy, disease and social injustice.
BRAC’s interventions aim to achieve large scale, positive changes through economic and social programmes that enable women and men to realise their potential.
History and Position of the Role in the Organisation
In 2018, BRAC and BRAC International created a dedicated team to lead and advance important organisational functions in BRAC – led by a Senior Director – and focusing on developing key areas which have evolved over the years to:
- Programme Development, with increasing emphasis on supporting BRAC’s country programmes with proposal writing, meeting donor requirements, and building high quality and financially viable programmes in all countries.
- Investment in strong linkages with BRAC affiliates, country offices, and the BRAC International (BI) Secretariat, to ensure financial viability in Bangladesh and programmes around the globe.
- Supporting all country programmes on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL), and ensuring that the MEAL framework is well understood by staff and included in development and implementation of programmes on the ground and reporting to the donors.
- Pro-active investment in building Partnership in general, and Private Partnership in particular, with the aim to find new corporate and private partners who are interested in a long-term relationship with BRAC and linking their resources to specified and targeted BRAC country programmes.
- Direct fundraising and fundraising support to country programmes, based on annual fundraising targets. Bringing in technical support by staff and consultants on proposal writing and donor reports, to ensure high quality outputs.
- Strengthening BRAC Bangladesh and BRAC International country programmes on Market Forecasting, Donor Tender Processes, and Donor Relationship Management, with the aim to improve the financial viability of the organisation and its country programmes.
- Where in the initial years focus was on developing systems and structures, in the following years, more emphasis should be given to direct leadership on fundraising and building private partnerships, as well as on programme development and ensuring that MEAL frameworks are embedded in all country programmes, with the aim for highest quality and impact for communities, as well as donor compliancy.
To date, much progress has been made in the improvement of grant management and programme development systems, training of staff in their application, and in defining global monitoring tools. The focus is shifting for the Senior Director PRL to give – together with his/her team – more direct technical support to programmes and country offices in BRAC Bangladesh and BRAC International through hands-on proposal development, donor relationship management, and direct fundraising, as well as ensuring capacity building to country offices and programmes. This should also lead to further internal coherence between country programmes under BRAC Bangladesh, BRAC International, and with the USA and UK affiliates.
The Senior Director PRL will be responsible for quality development in programs, resource mobilisation and organisational learning, throughout BRAC, BRAC International and its affiliates around the globe. He/she will be a key player in bringing the organisation to a higher level of financial sustainability, as well as improving impact at scale within implementing projects as well as knowledge creation and influence.
As the funding landscape shifts and becomes more competitive, BRAC will need to develop a more strategic and skilled approach to meet its funding needs. To stay aligned with the strategy, the programmes would need to constantly redesign their implementation plans, manage new clients, and reconsider their approaches to fundraising, as part of the development of a learning culture.
The Senior Director PRL is reporting to the Executive Director BRAC International and the Executive Director BRAC Bangladesh. As a member of the Executive Management Team he/she is expected to actively contribute to BRAC’s global strategy and development agenda and to drive changes for improvement in alignment with the global strategy and BRAC’s brand. This all should be based on his/her active engagement with BRAC’s country programmes.
The Senior Director PRL will lead and motivate its team of professional Program Development and Grants Management leaders to collaborate and support BRAC’s country and affiliate teams to strengthen its programme quality, fundraising strategy, donor management, and resource mobilisation. In addition, he/she will further develop Private Partnerships and the MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) function for BRAC.
- Lead and be a member of a pro-active PRL team that supports BRAC Bangladesh, BRAC International country programmes, and Affiliates in developing a fundraising strategy, pro-active forecasting, quality and timely proposals (by bringing the required technical expertise and consultants), setting up MEAL frameworks to ensure high quality programmes and donor reports that meet the expectations of the donors.
- With the PRL team, invest in capacity building of country teams and staff, to ensure that they understand the programme cycle principles, as well as importance of M&E and accountability to communities and donors.
- With BRAC, BRAC International and affiliates strategically position BRAC for new opportunities, and foster innovation and development of new programming.
- Overseeing the Program, Resource, and Learning” (PRL) central unit and strengthening of systems for collaboration, information sharing, and quality control between PRL and BRAC teams around the world.
- Leading the development of growth plans for BRAC, through close working relationships with donors, governments and private funders, and by providing support on business opportunities to ensure high quality, cohesive proposals.
- Driving a culture of continuous improvement, and performance optimization across all programme development processes, as well as use of tools and systems that support that, in close collaboration with Program Directors to embed key tools and practices in the project management cycle.
- Managing competencies and capabilities within programme development, resource mobilisation, partnerships and MEAL, by providing technical skills to country and other staff and informing them about new approaches and best practices on the key programme quality and resource mobilisation.
- Staying updated on the latest funding trends, policies, and innovations for effectively prioritising the focus areas that are aligned with the organisation’s current and expanding core business strategies.
Person Profile (Core Competences and Skills Summary)
Method of Application
Closing Date : 13th September, 2020.