Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator at Lifewater International
- Company: Lifewater International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Shinyanga
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
LIFEWATER INTERNATIONAL – TANZANIA
Position Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator
Position Locations: Shinyanga Program Area
Managers Position: Area Program Manager
Supervises: Sanitation & Hygiene Officers
The overall responsibility of the Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator is to measurably improve the quality of life for vulnerable children and families in communities and schools. S/he does this by leading a team of Sanitation and Hygiene Officers (SHOs) to ensure effective sanitation and hygiene promotion and sustained behavioral change among the local communities, schools and public health institutions using appropriate sanitation approaches and innovations. This position and the SHOs will walk alongside villages, families, schools, and churches, transforming the WASH situation through use of Lifewater International’s Vision of a Healthy Village (VHV) strategy. S/he is responsible for realization of sanitation and hygiene (SH) plans, changed SH behaviors, and the associated health outcomes in communities. The position holder will be working and living in the communities alongside the people we serve.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitoring, evaluation, and data collection (baseline, mWater submissions) of households, communities, schools, and institutions
- Supervise and support SHOs in reaching every household in every target community, mobilizing them to achieve Healthy Homes and Healthy Villages
- School WASH facilitation and leadership: Teacher training, WASH club support
- Oversee SHO WASH promotion activities in schools and support schools to achieve Healthy School status
- Supports baseline data collection processes such as mapping of new areas, collecting WASH data and registering villages in the Lifewater system using mWater Flow
- Working in collaboration with the Area Programme Manager (APM) in planning and budgeting at the Programme level following Lifewater planning process and baseline data.
- Prepares detailed implementation schedules with timelines covering all schools, communities, primary schools, health care facilities and submits for review by APM. Use appropriate mWater forms for all registrations and assessments of community health activities.
- Supports and ensure monitoring, evaluation, and data collection (baseline, monitoring mWater submissions) of households, communities and schools ensuring data is completed accurately and submitted on time.
- Community WASH facilitation and leadership: oversees the planning, training and mentoring of WASH Facilitators), scheduling and leading on Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) and Open Defecation Free (ODF) verification processes.
- Supports and guides SHOs to carry out community mobilization for WASH activities and water committee engagement (before the water points are constructed).
- Schedules and works with the SHOs and Engineering team to conduct training for Water Committees.
- Leads WASH promotion activities at health care facilities including health workers training in WASH and other capacity building efforts
- Engages and nurtures relationship with key stakeholders including the District Health and Education Offices, Sub- County leaders, Village and Ward level villages and schools to enlist their support for LI WASH activities in the programme area.
- Improvements to curricula and methodologies, and ensuring that SHOs are using correct manuals and following guidelines for program activities
- Sets targets and manages performance of SHOs including conducting end of probation performance appraisals, 90 days’ performance reviews and have 1:1 weekly meeting to measure target achievements.
- Prepares and shares with the APM regular reports on all community health activities
- Submit weekly reports and timesheet to supervisor.
- Participate in weekly one-on-one supervision meetings with supervisor.
- Participate in regular staff and skype meetings.
- Complete other duties as assigned by supervisors.
Relationships, Networking and Collaboration
- Stakeholder engagement and collaboration with Local Government Agencies (LGA) at all levels to ensure ownership and sustainability of the project
- Strengthen informal and formal communication, information sharing, among all LI staff members, LGAs and all relevant and key stakeholders.
- Ensure coordination with other program teams and support teams with the aim of achieving the program and organizational objectives.
- A University degree in Environment Health, public health, Social Sciences, Social Work and Social Administration, Development Studies, Community Health, Community Psychology and Education or other related field
- Minimum of three (3) years’ development working experience preferably in an NGO setting, with at least two (2) years of field experience managing and coordinating rural health/water and sanitation activities.
- Previous experience in the design and delivery of capacity building trainings in rural communities
- Experience in project planning & management with a good understanding of project cycle management particularly in WASH service provision
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team including staff performance management, mentoring and coaching.
- Competence in writing high quality reports, exhibiting detailed and professional attributes.
- Analytical skills and decision-making abilities even in complex and sensitive situations.
- Strong ICT skills especially Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to ride a motorcycle and in possession of with a valid riding permit
- Ability to support Lifewater’s mission, vision, and core values; able to cope with cross-cultural and denominational diversities.
- Energetic, flexible and proactive with the ability to work both independently and cooperatively within a team setting.
- Well organized and efficient in time management whenever there is task pressure.
- Have strong teamwork skills and ability to develop and maintain effective working relations at all levels both within and outside the team.
- Punctual, honest, dependable, servant leader, trustworthy, encourager, peacekeeper, multi-tasker, and self-starter.
- Zero tolerance of corruption (all forms of interest conflicts, bribes, fraud, all kinds of corruptions, etc. are not acceptable).
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
All applications should be done through https://lifewater.bamboohr.com/careers/99 and not otherwise. Application via email or any other platform won’t be considered the deadline of the applications is 20 February 2023 5:00PM.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE