Research Scientist at Ifakara Health Institute
- Company: Ifakara Health Institute
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Morogoro Tanzania Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Position: Research Scientist (1 post)
Reports to: Project Leader/ Principal Investigator.
Work station: Ifakara
Apply by: February 25, 2021
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a Research Scientist to join the Deep Transmission Study. The Scientist will be required to write and publish high quality scientific papers in peer reviewed and internationally recognized journals; and mentor and supervise research students to prepare reports and presentations. The Scientist will also present on progress and outcomes of the Deep Transmission research work to project and department staff and will write proposals and compete for research grants to address scientific questions in line with strategic objectives of IHI, and the public health needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Admin & Supervision Roles
- Maintain constant liaison and engagement with community members in the study areas to ensure smooth running of project activities.
- Ensure that all relevant institutional, national and international regulations regarding scientific research are adhered to during the course of all project activities.
- Ensure smooth working relationship between the project (project staff) and other projects within the institute.
- Supervise research interns working with the team.
- Scientific and Other Roles
- Supervise the technical staff, volunteers and field workers working within the project
- Ensure that all relevant quality control procedures and ethical guidelines are adhered to and that any deviations are properly documented and reported during all project activities and in accordance with requirements of good experimental practices
- Report on progress and outcomes of the project from time to time, by way of electronic or printed periodic reports, institutional presentations and relevant scientific conferences, where feasible
- Write and publish high quality scientific papers on your research work in peer reviewed and internationally recognized journals
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the project leader
Qualification and Experience
- MPhil in Data Science with specialization in Financial Technology.
- Working experience of 2 years.
Skills and Competencies
- Good writing skills
- Good scientific/investigational skills
- Good communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Leadership skills and team work
- Data analysis
- Ability to use open-source software for data analysis (R and Python) Capability to design and execute the research protocol.
- Information Technology (IT): Highly proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Machine Learning Principles and Techniques: Highly proficient and competent in using the following supervised and unsupervised machine learning model techniques: Regression, Decision Trees, Bagging, Random Forest, Gradient Boosting, Support Vector Machines, Neural
Networks, Cluster Analysis, Association Rules and Dimensionality Reduction Techniques (Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Multidimensional Scaling (MDS), Self- Organizing Maps (SOM) and Isometric Mapping (ISOMAP).
- Analytics and Visualization Tools: Proficient with hands-on experience on using Business Intelligence and visualization platforms such as R Shiny, QlikView and Power BI.
- Presentation skills.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Method of ApplicationAll candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters through e- mail together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 23:59hrs February 25, 2021 All e-mail application headline should include: RESEARCH SCIENTIST- DEEP
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]
The deadline for submitting the application is 25 February, 2021