Research Officer Intern (Medical Doctor) at Ifakara Health Institute
- Company: Ifakara Health Institute
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Pwani Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
|Position:||Research Officer Intern (MD)|
|Reports To:||Project leader|
|Apply By:||25thOctober 2023|
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Ifakara is seeking a dedicated and experienced Medical Doctor to fill the Research Officer Intern (Medical Doctor) position within our Clinical Trial Facility. The selected candidate will play a vital role in supporting, managing and overseeing clinical trials, including evaluating the safety, immunogenicity, and efficacy of candidate vaccines against infectious diseases. This role encompasses various responsibilities that require clinical expertise, research acumen, and ethical conduct.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Clinical Management: To assist in clinical management and oversight of study participants, including reviewing medical and laboratory results to determine eligibility and ensure the well-being of participants throughout the trial.
- Adverse Event Reporting: To assist documentation and reporting of adverse events to relevant authorities and sponsors in accordance with regulatory requirements and guidelines.
- Data Review and Queries Resolution: To support the team in the review of medical and laboratory data, and address queries from the data management team, sponsor, and monitors to ensure data accuracy and integrity.
- Protocol and SOP Development: To assist in the development and updating of study documents, including protocols and standard operating procedures (SOPs), to maintain compliance with evolving research standards.
- Study Procedures: To assist in performing study-related procedures, such as phlebotomy and vital sign recording, ensuring adherence to established protocols and safety guidelines.
- Informed Consent: To Assist in obtaining informed consent from study participants, ensuring they fully understand the trial’s objectives, procedures, and potential risks.
- Sensitization and Recruitment: To assist during community sensitization and recruitment activities to engage potential study volunteers and promote ethical research practices.
- Monitoring and Compliance: To assist Monitoring of study activities and ensure compliance with ethical and regulatory standards outlined in approved protocols, emphasizing participant safety and data quality.
- Professionalism and Ethics: To assist Conduct all activities in a professional and ethical manner, upholding the highest standards of accountability and integrity.
- Publications: To assist preparing, presenting, and publishing research papers based on clinical trial outcomes.
- Additional Responsibilities: To assist additional duties assigned by the project leader or research management team to support the overall success of clinical trials.
Qualification and Experience
- Degree in Medicine (Doctor of Medicine or equivalent)
- Minimum of 1 year of clinical research experience, with a strong understanding of vaccine trials and related protocols will be an added advantage
Skills and Competencies
- Clinical Expertise: Proficient in clinical management, patient assessment, and healthcare delivery within a research context.
- Time Management: Proficient in prioritizing tasks and effectively planning project timelines.
- Leadership and Management: Capable of leading meetings and resolving conflicts while making informed decisions.
- Interpersonal Skills: Skilled in minimizing conflicts and providing performance reviews and feedback.
- Diligence: Demonstrates a strong work ethic, consistently striving for excellence.
- Communication: Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI internship package.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. Ifakara prohibits intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Method of ApplicationAll candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 5pm on Wednesday, October/25/2023. All email application subject lines should include: Research Officer – Blood CHMI BAG. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Email: [email protected]