Research Officer at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Company: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Kigoma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Requisition ID: req38105
Job Title: Research Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Job Overview/ Summary: PlayMatters (2020-2026) is an education initiative funded through a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation. The program reimagines childhood for 800,000+ refugee and host-community children across Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Uganda – children whose education and social development has been affected by displacement and trauma. Building on children’s amazing resilience and a growing evidence base supporting Learning through Play methodologies, PlayMatters cultivates holistic learning for children ages 3-12+. PlayMatters is led by the International Rescue Committee and includes Plan International, War Child Holland, Innovations for Poverty Action, the Behavioral Insights Team in partnership with the LEGO Foundation.
The PlayMatters consortium has committed to building the evidence base through rigorous research across the program cycle. The Research Agenda is structured around a single overarching research question focuses on children’s holistic learning outcomes and resilience and under this question are four LtP topics that mirror the four thematic pillars of the Play Matters project: Educators, Parents and other Caregivers, Communities, and Education Systems. In addition, the cross-cutting themes of gender, inclusion and protection will be integrated into the majority of studies. The four topics will be studied in different refugee and host community settings in the three countries in which the PlayMatters project is being implemented: Uganda, Tanzania, and Ethiopia. Not all studies will take place in every country, although some studies will be cross-national.
IRC is seeking a motivated and enthusiastic Research Officer for PlayMatters project responsible for coordinating implementation of multiple field research activities within the PlayMatters consortium in collaboration with other PlayMatters research staff from Consortium Partners (War Child Holland, IPA, and Behavioral Insights Team). With technical guidance from the PlayMatters Deputy Project Coordinator of Research (based in Kasulu, Kigoma) and the Principal Investigators for each study, the Research Officer will support coordination of in-country activities related to research design, IRB clearance, stakeholder engagement, enumerator training, data collection, and data analysis processes. He/she will be responsible for assuring the quality and ethical implementation of in-country PlayMatters research studies and will also serve as the main point of contact on matters relating to PlayMatters research in the refugee camps and host community.
- Support the draft research assessment and survey tools including data collection instruments (survey questionnaires, focus group discussions, key informant interviews) as per the research plan.
- Support the development of data analysis plans and data entry methods in coordination with the support of the PlayMatters Deputy Project Coordinator for Research.
- Facilitate the effective review and implementation of surveys and research in the refugee camps and host community.
- Participate in the design and oversee implementation of research strategies and methodologies for accurately collecting, recording, compiling, and analyzing data, to report progress towards project objectives.
- Ensure that high quality research data is recorded and stored effectively and is usefully retrievable and reportable on a regular and frequent basis.
- Oversee the implementation of selected surveys and research projects, and provide input into methodology, data collection and reports.
- Conduct field data verification visits to the various relevant locations.
- Contribute to identify and synthesize good practices and lessons learned from the research.
- Oversee and supervise the work of the data collectors/enumerators, in coordination with the PlayMatters Deputy Project Coordinators for Research.
- Coach, train, and mentor data collectors/enumerators on research and ethical data collection standards with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity.
- Participating in regular research supervision and coordination meetings with PlayMatters regional research team and IRC’s Research & Innovation Hub.
- Contribute to planning, coordination and performance of research activities/studies organized within the PlayMatters consortium members.
- Any additional task by the PlayMatters Deputy Project Coordinator for Research where necessary.
- Representation and Partnership
- Support coordination and participation in the monthly Regional Research Agenda Working Group meetings.
- Represent IRC Tanzania in meetings with regional project team and meetings with other consortium members.
- Ensure the PlayMatters project research activities are well integrated and coordinated with other IRC sectors.
- Ensure adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures and the IRC way.
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, The IRC Way, and Child Safeguarding Policy as per the IRC Tanzania reporting mechanism
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor.
Education and Qualification:
- Bachelor’s (Masters preferred) degree in Education, Psychology, Public Policy, Development Studies and Sociology.
- A background in education research, including training in both quantitative and qualitative research methods
- At least two years of experience doing research on education in emergencies
- At least two years of experience supporting the implementation of mixed-methods research studies focused on education, psychosocial support, or other areas related to Learning through Play.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Strong (creative/interactive) training skills.
- Strong supervision, coaching and communication skills.
- Strong planning skills
- Able to quickly and with attention to detail identify needs / gaps and work towards solutions.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Willing and able to travel regularly.
- Standard office work environment
- Position is based in Kasulu Field office in Kigoma, Tanzania.
Professional Standards IRC staff must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Global Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti-Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Warning: Please be warned of various scams, being circulated via e-mails, from Internet websites, and via regular mail or fax, falsely being issued by or associated with the IRC. Beware that The IRC does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training, or any other fee). IRC does not request any information related to bank accounts. If asked for any payment, please contact [email protected]
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 27th February, 2023.
Dont Miss Latest Jobs In Tanzania. Subscribe Today. CLICK HERE