Research Associate – Socio-economist at WorldVeg
- Company: WorldVeg
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Research Associate – Socio-economist
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a nonprofit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world through increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. For more information about World Vegetable Center, please visit our website: worldveg.org
WorldVeg seeks to recruit aResearch Associate – Socio-economistto strengthen the ability of the Center to provide evidence-based solutions for making vegetables more available, affordable, and accessible in lower-income countries.She/he will support the impact assessment research including monitoring and evaluation of existing projects in the region but could also contribute to projects globally. The incumbent will be based in the Center’s regional office for Eastern and Southern Africa in Arusha, Tanzania.
- Support the designing and implementation of ex-post impact evaluations of the Center’s technologies and interventions using scientifically rigorous methods of impact evaluation.
- Contribute to food systems research including assessing the availability, accessibility and affordability of healthy diets with a focus on vegetables.
- Support quantitative and qualitative studies to identify opportunities and constraints to technology adoption (particularly including seed) and food systems change.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of projects aimed at improving the functioning of vegetable value chains, improving diets and nutrition, and the empowerment of disadvantaged groups.
- Support the collection of project monitoring data on a regular basis to measure project achievement against the performance indicators.
- Contribute to the preparation of research reports, academic journal articles, and other documents as required.
- Prepare presentation materials.
- Liaise with local partners including the government and universities as required.
- Organize and facilitate workshops with partners.
- Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and the Supervisor.
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Development Economics, Development Studies or related discipline with a strong focus on applied research.
- Experienced in conducting household surveys.
- Strong experience in econometrics to analyze household survey data.
- Strong expertise in data analysis including using statistical data analysis software like Stata or R.
- Experience in writing scientific publications.
- Skills in qualitative research methods will be an advantage
- Able to work with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment The Reward: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position with competitive pay and benefits.
The candidate we hire will embody WorldVeg’s Five Core Values:
Dedication to Innovation and Knowledge Sharing Supports the conduct of world-class science, respects ethical standards, and
is committed to sharing results in a transparent manner.
Aspires to achieve positive, tangible, and lasting impact contributing to Sustainable Development Goals.
Believes in the value of partnerships to advance research for development.
Respect the diversity of gender, culture, ethnic origin, religion, age, beliefs, and views.
Strives to minimize its environmental impact and to introduce greener technology and practices.