Research Associate at Laterite
- Company: Laterite
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Laterite is a data, research and analytics firm specialized in complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. Our clients include, for example, the World Bank, USAID, TechnoServe, Promundo, the Mastercard Foundation, and several UN agencies.
We currently have offices in the Netherlands, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, and Sierra Leone. The team brings together more than 80 full time local and international staff, as well as 1,000+ enumerators across all countries. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization, and we welcome applications from groups currently under-represented in our team. Learn more: www.laterite.com
We work in socio-economic development research projects. We believe that impact is a long-term endeavour that requires being embedded in the local context. Delivering high-quality research requires building local teams and data collection systems, knowing the country, and establishing close working relationships.
One of Laterite’s key strategic goals is to create a collaborative and rewarding working environment for our staff, where every team member feels engaged, represented, and heard. Laterite is committed to create opportunities for learning and career development within the team and across our offices.
Laterite is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunities employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
What you will do:
As a Research Associate, based in our Tanzania office, you will:
- Manage one or two research projects: coordinating the project team; ensuring implementation according to protocols; managing to the budget and timeline; and communicating with clients.
- Play a hands-on role in all steps of the research process: designing the technical approach; developing protocols, research instruments, and sampling strategies; monitoring data quality; conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis; writing reports; and presenting to clients.
- Contribute to the development of new business: proposing research ideas; writing technical proposals; and pricing.
- Improve the way we work: researching and piloting new methodologies and technologies; standardizing and automating processes for data collection and analysis; and supporting internal operations like recruitment and IT.
You will develop skills and experience in:
- Technical design of research projects
- Data analysis
- Business development
- Managing a portfolio of research projects
What you will bring:
Our ideal candidates are passionate about social and economic research in East Africa. They can quickly grasp research concepts and structure their technical approach to a problem. They have strong analytical and interpersonal skills, self-motivation, and a drive to flourish in a fast-paced environment, where timelines can often be unpredictable. Our candidates have project coordination experience and can manage activities involving varying levels of stakeholders and multiple team members. They are willing to develop their professional skills, contribute to the growth of an organization dedicated to social impact, and thrive in an innovative and collaborative organization.
An ideal candidate will have:
- A master’s degree in Education, Economics, Statistics, Public Health, Public Policy or a related field.
- At least three years of professional experience in research (whether in a project/program or academic setting).
- Strong analytical skills, experience working with quantitative data, and proficiency in Stata.
- Experience communicating with external stakeholders or in a client-facing role.
- Solid project management skills and experience coordinating projects with multiple components or teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
In addition, we value:
- Experience working with primary data (data collection or cleaning and analysis).
- Experience with Open Data Kit (ODK) or an ODK-based platform such as SurveyCTO or CommCare.
- Previous work experience in East Africa
- Research experience in one of Laterite’s core sectors – education, youth and labor, public health, agriculture or urbanization.
- Knowledge of Python and/or R
What’s in it for you?
Laterite offers a competitive remuneration package, including medical insurance and 21 days of annual leave. We are also committed to supporting our staff’s learning, providing an annual learning budget of up to $1,000 per person and 10 days of time off for professional learning each year. We also provide remote work options in accordance with Laterite’s remote work policy.
The starting salary for this role is $2,620. The salary may be paid in local currency and is re-adjusted for any devaluation in the currency compared to the US dollar based on the latest exchange rate (USD to local currency) of January 1st each year. The exact salary grade will be determined based on the selected candidate’s experience and performance in interviews. Salaries are pegged against the pay matrix, and grades are reviewed every 6 months. There is ample opportunity for growth both in terms of salary scales and roles. Promotions at Laterite are reviewed every 6 months during our performance evaluation.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 11th November, 2023.