Research Assistant- Plant Genetic Resources at World Vegetable Center
- Company: World Vegetable Center
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org.
The Research Assistant Plant Genetic Resources will perform the following duties, among others:
- Implement field activities for regeneration and characterization of genebank accessions and conduct quality control and preliminary analysis of the collected data;
- Monitor and maintain seed quality and health in genebank.
- Conduct routine seed testing and cleaning, including germination and moisture content tests.
- Contribute to seed physiology research including seed dormancy, storage behaviour and longevity.
- Maintain genebank seed inventory data up-to-date.
- Supervise causal laborers during establishment and management of field trials.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- MSc in Agriculture with a major in plant genetic resources, botany, plant breeding, agronomy, horticulture, seed technology or a related field.
- Minimum one year experience in experimental trials on screening crop genetic diversity and data collection.
- Basic knowledge of seed physiology, seed health, diseases and insect-pests of vegetable crops.
- Familiarity with the legal situation of germplasm movement, especially with regard to the Tanzanian legislative framework for seed import and export.
- Excellent computational skills in database, statistical analysis and customized software applications used in genebanks is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- High motivation to develop new skills.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position with competitive pay and benefits. The position is only open to Tanzanian nationals. The initial appointment is for one year and may be extended depending on requirement, funding availability, and performance of the incumbent. The position is available with immediate effect.
Method of ApplicationApplicants are invited to submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a detailed curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability. Please send applications stating the job title “Research Assistant- Plant Genetic Resources” by e-mail to [email protected] by the closing date on 22 March 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.