Regional Operations Director – MEER at VisionFund International
- Company: VisionFund International
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Arusha & Moshi Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
VisionFund International (VFI) is the world’s largest Christian microfinance network. For more than a decade we have been improving the lives of children across the developing world, as we provide small loans and other financial services to families struggling in poverty.
As the microfinance subsidiary of World Vision, the world’s largest Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation, we work in 28 countries through our network of affiliated microfinance institutions (MFIs) located across the globe in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe. We have an outstanding loan portfolio of nearly US$429 million, serve over 1million active borrowers and impact the lives of over 3.4 million children each year.
Sharing the same vision as World Vision, VFI aims to provide ‘life in all its fullness’ to children as their parents receive small loans, improve their businesses and increase in ability to care for their children as family incomes multiply..
Purpose of the Position:
The Regional Operations Director is a new role in the MEER region, to support the Regional Head in managing the execution of VisionFund’s strategy in the region. The Regional Operations Director helps the Regional Head to ensure the delivery of the ‘double bottom line’ of financial and social performance in the region’s MFIs and directly supports MFIs with achieving their financial and social impact targets including the implementation of changes to business model, structure, technology and partners.
Building Capacity in MFIs:
- Support the delivery of business plans of individual MFIs through monitoring, analysis, problem identification and operational recommendations that will ensure improved quality of delivery of the MFI’s services, improved control environment and increased alignment of strategy.
- Matrix manage COOs in the MFI
- Commission/curate appropriate training for the MFIs in the region.
- Ensure effective controls and the “double bottom line” are always assessed and reported.
- Ensure integration and alignment of VFI, MFI and WV National Office strategies at the regional and national levels.
- Support MFI SMTs with implementing changes in the business model, structure, partners and technology.
- Support Mergers and Acquisitions when required in the region.
- Monitor delivery of MFI strategy through Board membership where appropriate along with the Regional Head.
Consultancy Services to MFIs:
- Provide timely consulting services for MFI issues based upon an agreed terms of reference for each project.
- Provide clear and thorough analysis and recommendations for both the MFI management and VFI regional team.
Lead Regional Initiatives:
- Drive, under the guidance of the Regional Head, the roll out of global centre initiatives including how central services and banking software can be deployed to improve service to the MFI’s and their clients and to reduce costs and improve sustainability.
- Be regional safeguarding lead and regional security focal point.
- Facilitate spiritual nurture and be a role model and coach for developing Christian leadership in the region.
Occasionally acting in a Senior Management role within an MFI during staffing gaps:
- If a CEO or other SMT position is vacant which is likely to put the MFI at risk then the Regional Operations Director will be required under the direction of the Regional Head to be deployed into a management role in the MFI.
- This can be for up to 6 months at a time, while a suitable replacement is being recruited.
Critical Knowledge, Technical Skills and Experience:
- The key ability VisionFund is seeking is leadership. The successful candidate will have a strong track record of developing and nurturing talented and empowered leadership teams, ideally across multiple locations and cultures. A role model for Christian leadership, with commitment to the core values, mission and vision of VisionFund. Extensive leadership experience, at senior level as a leader of leaders, committed to developing and encouraging staff.
- Thorough knowledge and extensive experience (minimum of ten years) is required in microfinance and banking operations, including dealing with regulators and supporting major change projects including Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Proven ability to lead a strategy review process and drive high standards in business planning, forecasting and performance measurement.
- Although central treasury expertise will be provided by VisionFund Global Centre this person should have an understanding of balance sheet risk management including interest rate risk, liquidity risk and foreign exchange risk as well as bank funding processes and contracting.
- Balanced and respectful approach to groups’ differing responsibilities and priorities. Sensitive to complexity of World Vision direction, MFI board independence and shareholder requirements.
- Excellent organizational skills, and highly developed consulting skills, with ability to analyze, recommend solutions, mentor and direct people. Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple priorities and projects and must be proactive.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, diplomacy, negotiation and conflict management skills are all required in this senior management role working with multiple MFIs. Must demonstrate excellence in communication and influencing skills
- At least a Bachelors Degree in Finance, Business
- Marketing and Financial Services development experience
- Strong Operational Skills in microfinance ideally gained in the relevant region through managing MFIs.
- Experience working in a multinational and multicultural environment with proven cross-cultural effectiveness.
- Ability to travel including to rural locations. Ability to be deployed for up to 6 months to an MFI SMT role.
- Fluency in English (written and verbal).
- In addition a preference for fluency in Balkan languages or Armenian.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 80% of the time.
VisionFund International aims to be diverse and inclusive organisation and candidates of all backgrounds and cultures are welcomed.
We are dedicated to all our staff development and their success. We aspire for all employees to be fulfilled through their work and their contributions to an organisation working to provide long-term sustainable solutions to the world’s most vulnerable people.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 22nd July, 2020.