Rangeland Ecologist at IITA
- Company: IITA
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) invites applications for the position of Rangeland Ecologist. The Rangeland Ecologist will provide support to local Scientists, Government including the Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries, NGO and communities in implementing participatory rangeland management plans and rangeland restoration in central Tanzania.
The successful applicant will join the Sustainable Livestock Systems program of ILRI and will contribute to the One CGIAR initiative Livestock, Climate and System Resilience (LCSR) which seeks to improve understanding on how to develop and strengthen resilient, low-emission livestock agri-food systems.
Duty Station: This is a Nationally Recruited Position, and the incumbent will be based in in Kabaya town, Kiteto district, Manyara region- Tanzania, with anticipated occasional travel to other pastoral areas.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Coordinating the undertaking of a physical baseline in action-research intervention areas using LAND PKS and participatory community data collection tools,
- Ongoing monitoring of ecological changes,
- Establishment of action-research trials on rangelands restoration with communities, trainings of stakeholders as required, and liaison with government, NGOs and other researchers
- Facilitating visits and research being undertaken by ILRI scientists and partners.
This work will be embedded in a participatory rangeland management (PRM) approach, that ILRI and partners have developed and which is in the process of being scaled-up. It is also anticipated that the ecologist will play a role in influencing a more enabling policy environment for PRM and engage with the private sector to develop partnerships for investment in rangeland restoration and/or payments for ecosystem services.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master degree in rangeland ecology, dryland ecology, agriculture or related subject.
- At least two years working as a rangeland ecologist in pastoral areas of Tanzania including in rangeland restoration.
- Proven training and community facilitation skills.
- Experience in participatory or community-based rangeland management and monitoring.
- Experience in participatory land use planning an advantage.
- Knowledge of remote sensing an advantage.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Swahili, and knowledge of Maa an advantage.
The duration of contract for the position is two years. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Method of ApplicationApplications: Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.0. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to [email protected]
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
Female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: Two weeks from the date of advertisement appearing in the newspaper. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.