Radiation Therapist / Radiotherapy Technologist x2 at Aga Khan Health Service
- Company: Aga Khan Health Service
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Tanzania
Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) – an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a not-for-profit international organization that supports social development programs in Tanzania. It has completed a major expansion to position the institution to become a leading and integrated tertiary and teaching health care system in Tanzania. As part of its health system strengthening initiatives in working with and supporting Government Health Programmes, AKHST, AKFT and AFD are partnering on a new innovative public-private collaboration called Tanzania Comprehensive Cancer Project (TCCP) that aims at strengthening and expanding the quality, access and capacity of cancer care services in the country. The project collaborators include Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC), Ocean Road Cancer Institute (ORCI), Bugando Medical Centre (BMC), Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH) and President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (P0- RALG) with technical support from Institute Curie.
TCCP will be implemented in two target regions (Dar es Salaam and Mwanza). The project’s A major components include a) Improve and expand existing oncology infrastructure to provide more comprehensive oncology care through health systems strengthening, b) build the capacity of staff in participating institutions to provide high quality cancer care by trained specialists, and train and retain local professionals through accredited programs; c) strengthen community cancer care practices by delivering affordable, comprehensive health care services for preventive services including primary prevention, screening, and early detection and d) develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders and participating institutions on joint research agenda and initiatives.
We are seeking highly skilled and motivated Medical Physicist and Radiation Therapy Technologists to join our dynamic healthcare team.
RADIATION THERAPIST / RADIOTHERAPY TECHNOLOGIST – (2 POSITIONS)
The incumbent will play a crucial role in delivering radiation therapy to the cancer patients under the supervision of a Radiation Oncologist. He/She will work as part of a multidisciplinary team to ensure that patients receive the prescribed radiation treatment with precision and minimal side effects.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES PATIENT ASSESSMENT:
- Conduct preliminary assessments of patients to gather information about their medical history, treatment plan, and current health status.
- Review patients’ medical records, consult with Oncologists, and perform physical assessments to ensure the proper treatment plan is in place.
- Collaborate with medical Physicists and Radiation Oncologists to plan and develop precise treatment protocols tailored to each patient’s specific needs and the type and location of the cancer. This includes determining the optimal radiation dose and the specific angles and techniques for delivering radiation.
- Use advanced computer software and equipment to simulate treatment fields, calculate radiation doses, and ensure accurate delivery of radiation.
- Explain the treatment process, potential side effects, safety procedures and importance of compliance with treatment schedules to patients to ensure their understanding and cooperation throughout the treatment course.
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals, including Radiation Oncologists, Medical Physicists, and Oncology Nurses, to provide comprehensive care to patients.
- Offer emotional support and provide information to patients throughout the course of treatment, addressing any concerns or side effects they may experience.
- Ensure that patients are positioned accurately, typically through the use of immobilization devices or molds, to ensure accurate and reproducible treatment delivery precisely as planned.
- Mark reference points on the patient’s body for consistent treatment setup.
- Operate and maintain complex radiation therapy equipment, such as linear accelerators, brachytherapy devices, and CT simulators, to accurately deliver radiation treatment to the target area while minimizing exposure to healthy tissues.
- Administer the prescribed radiation therapy according to the treatment plan while monitoring the equipment and the patient to ensure proper alignment, dose, and patient comfort while minimizing exposure to healthy tissues.
- Monitor the patient’s condition during treatment and make necessary adjustments to ensure the patient’s comfort and safety.
- Verify and calibrate radiation therapy equipment to ensure accurate and safe treatment delivery.
- Verify that the radiation dose administered matches the prescribed dose, adjusting as necessary.
- Follow strict safety protocols and adhere to radiation protection standards to minimize radiation exposure to patients and staff. This includes using lead shielding, measuring radiation output, and maintaining accurate treatment records.
- Monitor radiation dosage and keep accurate records of each patient’s treatment sessions.
- Ensure that safety measures are in place for the safe handling and disposal of radioactive materials.
- Maintain accurate detailed patient records, including treatment plans, radiation dosage, schedules, and patient progress. This information is essential for tracking treatment effectiveness and for follow-up care.
- Document any observed side effects or adverse reactions to treatment.
- Conduct quality assurance tests to ensure the accuracy and safety of radiation therapy equipment and techniques.
- Participate in quality assurance and quality control procedures to ensure that equipment and treatment processes are functioning correctly and meeting established standards.
- Stay up-to-date with advancements in radiation therapy technology and treatment techniques through continuing education, training and professional development.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Radiation Therapy or a related field from recognized institution
- License to practice as a Radiation Therapy Technologist from the relevant regulatory authority.
- Strong knowledge of radiation therapy principles, equipment, and safety procedures.
- Knowledge of radiation safety protocols and best practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for interacting with patients and other healthcare professionals.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work accurately under pressure.
- Compassion and empathy when working with patients.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a healthcare team.
- Physical stamina, as the job may require positioning and moving patients.
- Experience working in a clinical setting.
- Knowledge of current radiation therapy equipment and technologies.
- Research experience and a track record of publications.
- Leadership and project management skills.
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
Method of ApplicationPlease submit your CV, educational certificates, and a cover letter detailing your qualifications and relevant experience to [email protected]. We look forward to reviewing your application and excited to welcome a talented Medical Physicist and Radiotherapy Technologists to join our team. Join us in making a difference in the lives of our patients.
The Aga Khan Health Service. Tanzania is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for all employees and patients. We offer competitive compensation packages, professional development opportunities, and a supportive work culture.
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for submission of applications is end of business day on Wednesday 8th November, 2023.
“AKHS is concerned about the climate and environmental crises we face and is doing everything possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this field to apply.”