Project Manager at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Company: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the UN’s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 170 countries and territories, working with governments and people on their own solutions to global and national development challenges to help empower lives and build resilient nations. UNDP Programme of Assistance to the Palestinian People (PAPP) derives its mandate from United Nations General Assembly Resolution 33/147 of 20 December 1978 to improve the economic and social conditions of the Palestinian people by identifying their social and economic needs and by establishing concrete projects to that end. UNDP/PAPP’s environment and natural resources portfolio focuses on strengthening environmental and water governance, mobilizing environmental financing, improving access to environmental services such as water supply and sanitation, solid waste management, and energy; mainstreaming environment and climate change, and developing the capacities of Palestinian State institutions in climate change adaptation and mitigation.
The Gaza Strip is facing alarming environmental, social, institutional, and financial challenges that have led to serious constraints in solid waste management services provision. Combined with a lack of sanitary disposal sites, this has led to the further deterioration of the environment, including contamination of precious groundwater resources, and is affecting the health and wellbeing of the residents in the Gaza Strip.
In response to the above events, UNDP/PAPP has developed the “Towards a Green Gaza: Improving Natural Resources Management, Reducing and Managing Waste, Creating Green Jobs” Project which aims at improving natural resources management, reduce and manage waste and create green jobs. This could be met through the provision of efficient and environmentally, and socially sound waste management systems while introducing new techniques that will reduce waste production.
UNDP/PAPP- is seeking a candidate to fill the position of Project Manager, to manage the solid waste management in Gaza and North and engaging youth in green jobs across the sector under the above mentioned project. The incumbent will work under the guidance of the Assistant Special Representative, and the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst an expected duration of 5 years.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
Under the guidance of the Assistant Special Representative (Gaza office), and the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, the Project Manager will undertake the following:
Ensuring effective project management by maintaining the delivery of appropriate technical, operational, financial and administrative outputs, while tracking the project’s progress through monitoring, evaluation and reporting:
• Implement and manage the project on a day-to-day basis, coordinate the implementation of the respective activities based on the relevant project document, including, as needed, supervision and guidance of other project staff, consultants and experts with a view to achieving project results;
• Ensure the timely and quality delivery of planned project activities;
• Develop comprehensive/detailed project work-plans that include all project activities and roles and responsibilities of the stakeholders and set-out corresponding milestones;
• Monitor the progress of implementation of project activities and key event schedules, review the work- plans and set deadlines, and monitor the financial resources and accounting to ensure accuracy and reliability of financial reports;
• Mobilize goods and services to support project activities, including Call for Proposals, drafting TORs and works/product requirements and specifications;
• Manage and monitor project risks initially identified, submitting information on the new risks and possible mitigating measures to the Project Board for consideration and updating the status of these risks by maintaining a Project Risk Log;
• Assume responsibilities in line with the office Internal Control Framework and act as a `first authority` for Project transactions;
• Ensure the adherence of project activities to the existing financial, procurement and administrative processes that are in line with prevailing UNDP rules and regulations and, at the same time, observe the project timelines;
• Ensure that gender equality is pursued in all project activities and reflected in work plans, budgets, reports, research, analyses and, where relevant, analyzed in detail;
• Ensure that accessibility for persons with disabilities is reflected in all project activities;
• Consult regularly with other UNDP projects and programs on related activities, where synergies are possible.
Coordination and building strong partnerships with the implementing partners and relevant stakeholders, focusing on achievement of the following:
• Maintain strong relationships with the implementing partners, line ministries and other relevant partners and donors;
• Finalize the contractual agreements with implementing partners, contractors and consultants;
• Maintain regular coordination and quality assurance of expert inputs and products, as well as among project partners to ensure coherence and complementarity of project activities;
• Identify opportunities for deepening the cooperation and recommending adequate approaches to dealing with different stakeholders based on information on all relevant stakeholders gathered during projects’ implementation;
• Maintain regular communication on relevant project issues with the local and international counterparts, consultants and experts and ensuring quality and timely delivery of all agreed outputs;
• Maintain effective linkages with current and potential donors;
• Engage with groups and communities in project activities to reflect their needs and elements of success to the planned interventions.
• Communicate project goals and activities clearly to both stakeholders and the wider public.
Preparation and assistance to finalizing and reporting, focusing on achieving of the following;
• Prepare project progress and ad hoc reports (progress against planned activities, update on risks issues, expenditures…) and ensure timely submission of the reports to the project board and relevant donor(s). The developed reports are expected to be of good quality with proper analysis of the results.
• Assist in periodical corporate reporting, including Atlas quarterly progress and ROAR;
• Develop presentations and other materials that are needed to share information on achievements, challenges, etc , and;
• Update and file the relevant documentation.
Knowledge sharing and other relevant responsibilities pertaining to the project implementation and contribution to the office, focusing on achievement of the following;
• Ensure compilation and synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices throughout project implementation;
• Support the strategic sharing of relevant knowledge and information gathered throughout project implementation phase, in close collaboration with the Communications & Partnerships Specialist;
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
• Actively commit to learning for advancing professional skills and career.
Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisors.
Under the guidance of the Assistant Special Representative, and the direct supervision of the Programme Analyst, the project Manager will undertake the assigned functions.
The position may require occasional official travel. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.
Required skills and competencies
Knowledge and/or experience in environment projects.
Proven experience in dealing with local governments, NGOs, and bilateral and multilateral donors;
Innovation: Ability to make new and useful ideas work
Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow and team leading skills
People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
• Financial Planning and Budgeting
• Financial Reporting and Analysis
• Project Management
• Report Writing
• Knowledge Management
Desired additional skills and competencies
• Excellent use of project management software and Microsoft applications.
• Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNDP procedures would be an asset.
• Previous experience with International (public or private sector) Organisations is desirable.
• Knowledge of solid waste management and climate change will be desirable.
Required Skills and Experience
BA degree or Master’s degree in Engineering, Natural Resources Management, Environment, Business Administration, Development Studies, Project Management or related fields.
Minimum of two years with BA Degree or MA with relevant work experience in managing environment projects.
Fluency in writing and spoken English and Arabic Languages
Project management certification will be an asset
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 28th March, 2022.