Project Engineer at Tetra Tech
- Company: Tetra Tech
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Tanzania
The USAID-funded Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity (MUM) activity in Tanzania, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development, is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Project Engineer. This position will be located in the office in Sumbawanga, Tanzania.
MUM is a five year (August 2021 – July 2026) $25 million activity implemented by Tetra Tech that will expand and sustain WASH services through improved drinking water service, increased access to WASH finance, improved market-based sanitation, and strengthened water resources management. The Project Engineer will work under the Lead Engineer to support RUWASA and WSSAs to implement water supply and sanitation projects and be responsible for design and construction management for infrastructures procured by USAID. The position supports strengthening of O&M practices and capacity building. The position is responsible for all infrastructure design and construction management and QA/QC, and related institutional capacity building, and will be based in Sumbawanga town with travel to activity districts in Rukwa, Njombe, Iringa, and Morogoro regions support to other MUM activities on needs bases.
* In collaboration with OPI specialist, supports RUWASA’s institutional, operational, administrative, and management capacity.
* In collaboration with Lead Engineer supports RUWASA and WSSAs improve their capacity to monitor water services at district, regional and national levels.
* Supports capacity development efforts to implement innovative operations and maintenance models, such as PPPs, to professionalize rural and urban water service delivery.
* Supports CBWSOs and WSSAs to improve their performance, financial viability, and operational capacities.
* Participate and provide support to RUWASA in project scoping and selection
* Provide Support to RUWASA and WSSAs during design, construction and management of targeted rural/urban water supply and sanitation infrastructures
* Supports RUWASA regional and district offices during implementation of water supply and sanitation projects
* Guides strengthening of O&M practices and capacity building and oversee site-based SEAP/Intern engineers
* In collaboration with Lead Engineer supports capacity development efforts to implement innovative operations and maintenance models, such as PPPs, to professionalize rural and urban water service delivery.
* In collaboration with OPI specialist support RUWASA to conduct a routine and special performance assessment of CBWSOs and WSSAs to establish the capacity to deliver quality and sustainable services within the policy and legal requirements
* In collaboration with OPI specialist support CBWSOs and WSSAs under MUM activity to improve their billing and revenue collection efficiencies
* Maintain a continuous interactive exchange of information with the WASH Services Lead, Water Infrastructure Manager, Sanitation/ Hygiene Lead and other MUM team members
* At implementation stage the Project Engineer will provide on-site oversight of contractors and interns for compliance with quality standards
* Provide support on timely technical reporting from contractors; advise where needed to improve content of reports
* Support preparation of contracts and purchase orders; review invoices submitted by contractors prior to final execution by the Procurement Officer
* Support to provide timely updates on project progress
*Support RUWASA and WSSAs engineers to monitor environmental issues to ensure MUM follows the MUM Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Plan (EMMP), and best practices on environmental health and safety.
* Visit construction sites on a regular basis and provide useful reports on compliance to quality standards for field work.
* Support RUWASA and WSSAs engineers to monitor water quality compliance as per MUM Water Quality Assurance Plan (WQAP) to meet the water quality monitoring conditions of water supply projects
* Support RUWASA on inspection, verification and confirmation for work in progress and for completed projects
* Support MUM sub-contractors under Sanitation/ Hygiene component in assessing respective town councils’ sanitation/hygiene status, guide on technical reporting and provide guidance on propositions of financially viable wastewater treatment technologies
* Support design for wastewater treatment facilities and supervise assigned contractors to achieve QC/QA and best value for money
* Work with crosscutting departments in providing guidance to town councils and WSSAs on inclusive sanitation/hygiene interventions
* Identify and link MUM with like-minded partners who can offer technical support towards designing and constructing of appropriate wastewater treatment facilities that respond to CWIS technological recommendation
* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 3 years in relevant field
* Registered Professional Engineer
* Degree in civil engineering/ environmental engineering/ water resources management/ engineering, or similar.
* Experience working in the water sector especially in rural and urban water supply and sanitation in Tanzania
* Experience directly involved in or supporting implementation of water and sanitation delivery infrastructures, including hydraulic design, development of tender documents (plans, bills of quantities, and technical specifications), and construction management within the Tanzanian WASH sectors.
* Experience in contract management and overseeing contractors on-site.
* Conversant in using various water supply design software and systems such as Excel, EPANET, AutoCAD, QGIS.
* Ability to work with multidisciplinary actors and staff while working for MUM
* Experience in supporting detailed work planning and reporting.
* Experience working with RUWASA, local government, town councils, water supply and sanitation authorities and communities to construct water supply schemes
* Knowledge and experience in related institutional capacity building
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written.
* Fluency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
* Willingness to work/live in Sumbawanga, Tanzania.
* Please note: Only Tanzanian citizens are eligible for this position.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* Cover Letter
* CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that your Cover Letter and CV/Resume are uploaded and submit only the requested documentation as part of your application. Incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees – 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 2nd November, 2022.