Project Director at Jhpiego
- Company: Jhpiego
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Jhpiego seeks a Project Director (PD) for a CDC project entitled “Strengthening the Government of Tanzania’s Capacity to Develop, Implement and Use Digital Health to Achieve HIV/TB Epidemic Control through Interoperable Information Systems, Governance, Quality Improvement and Workforce Support under PEPFAR.” The project aims to build affordable, effective client level and aggregate HIS, the digital infrastructure to exchange data among diverse health related HIS, and a data and technology competent workforce using a technical assistance model. These HIS and data use activities will ensure that health services are digitally linked to community, facility, laboratory, reporting, surveillance, commodity/supply chain, mortality and other health related systems with a goal to maximize efforts to achieve and sustain epidemic control. The successful applicant will be expected to partner with the GoT to plan, design or adapt, develop, implement, evaluate and use secure, standards based interoperable HIS for client care and program improvement. The project will operate over a five-year period.
The PD is responsible for providing leadership and overall strategic direction, and ensuring the operational and programmatic integrity of the HIS project, working in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MOH) at national and provincial levels, CDC, and other PEPFAR implementing partners delivering sustainable HIS services. The PD will provide leadership in managing relationships with MOH counterparts, development of annual workplans and budgets, and ensuring project activities align with project, MOH, PEPFAR, and CDC strategies. The PD represents Jhpiego to donors and partners, leads the project team that includes the HIS Advisor, Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MER/L) Advisor, Training Lead, and Senior Finance Manager (Business Official), and reports to the Jhpiego Country Director.
This position is contingent upon award from CDC. Tanzanian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide strategic leadership to establish and pursue a result-oriented project strategy to achieve MOH and PEPFAR targets
- Oversee HIS Technical Advisor, Training Lead, and high-capacity project staff responsible for ensuring quality HIS technical assistance for building capacity of the MOH and at national and local levels, supporting and scaling existing HIS systems and infrastructure, and increasing interoperability and the utilization of quality data for decision making to further facilitate improved quality of care and health outcomes
- Facilitate HIS skills transfer and capacity building of the MOH and local institutions/stakeholders
- Oversee adaptive program management approaches and processes to respond to changing context and environment in order to achieve results
- Work closely with the MER/L Advisor and Business Official to facilitate project-wide reviews of progress toward achieving project deliverables, cost performance, and risk management, and make changes as needed
- Provides strategic leadership to the annual work planning process in close collaboration with MOH, CDC, project team, and other relevant stakeholders
- Develop and maintain relationships with MOH at national, provincial, and district levels necessary to implement project strategies and activities
- Ensure project staff understand their role on the project team and organize support from technical, programmatic and administrative teams required to fulfill their role successfully
- Recruit, hire, mentor, support, supervise and manage a team of highly qualified staff and align their efforts in concert with project goals to ensure rapid and sustainable results
- Participate in relevant advisory and/or working groups with counterparts and partner institutions
- Represent Jhpiego and project in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Write and/or review technical and project management components of materials and publications
- Ensure resources for program implementation are available on time to allow for seamless program implementation and reimbursement for goods/services performed
- Work with finance and project staff to develop and track project budgets
- Work closely with Jhpiego home office staff in Baltimore and Washington, DC to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation that also aligns with Jhpiego guidance, quality standards, and technical and program priorities
- Ensure overall compliance with PEPFAR and CDC rules and regulations
- Master’s degree in public health, infectious disease, laboratory science, health administration, or other relevant advanced degree; doctoral degree, clinical degree, or other terminal degree is desirable
- 10+ years project management experience in the area of HIS or Digital Health for large, multi-year international health sector development programs that have implemented successful activities in HIS and HIV/AIDS/TB
- Demonstrated strong technical and programmatic knowledge and experience in the following areas: Facilitating HIS skills transfer and capacity building of the MOH and local institutions/stakeholders; experience developing and maintaining HIS systems, including the scale-up of an electronic health record (EHR) system to all provinces in its full deployment package; continued maintenance of the MOH’s national data warehouse (NDW), systems interoperability, and health information exchange (HIE); and advancing the production and timely utilization of information in response to national HIV/TB priorities
- Familiarity with adult learning and mentorship strategies, policy development, and group facilitation practices; ability to describe best practices for HIS and data to action capacity building and training and demonstrated leadership building capacity of local organizations.
- Documented experience in supporting governments to adopt HIS policies and implement national eHealth plans/strategies based upon evidence
- Demonstrated capacity-building capabilities at the national and institutional level, and experience working effectively with governments, preferably the Government of Tanzania.
- Ability to describe HIS and HIV/TB program data collection and reporting requirements, to critically analyze program data and use program data to inform future directions
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with PEPFAR programs, regulations, compliance and reporting
- Significant networking and partnership building skills, including ability to communicate and build mutually beneficial relationships with leaders in health and development fields
- In-depth understanding of integrative and multi-sectorial approaches to project management and implementation
- Experience in coordinating and collaborating with a broad set of stakeholders, including communities, multilateral and international donors, and local and international NGOs
- Experience working in Tanzania or the region, with solid understanding of the local health system and government agencies
- Enthusiasm for supporting national systems and building capacity to achieve sustainable transition of service delivery activities at the end of the project period
- Excellent administrative management, program, organizational, and financial management skills
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying best practices and adapting them to project realities
- Experience developing conference abstracts and publishing manuscripts based on program data is favorable
- As the primary face of the project to the Donor and Other Partners, the ability to present and communicate the project to all stakeholders for easy understanding
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Strong decision-making skills
- A strong team player with ability to work with a very diverse group of people in a multi-national environment.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet software programs (Microsoft Office)
- Fluent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Excellent facilitation, oral and written communications skills
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally 20% of the time
Method of ApplicationSubmit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 2nd March, 2021.