Project Assistant at BBC Media Action
- Company: BBC Media Action
- Location: Tanzania
- State: Dar Es Salaam Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Tanzania
Job title: Project assistant
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports to: Project manager
Duration: 8 months
Special requirements: The right to live and work in Tanzania. Fluent in English and Swahili with ability to write reports in both languages.
BBC Media Action:
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development organisation, working in more than 20 countries and reaching more than 100 million people a year. We support independent media and share trusted information that protects health, bridges divides, challenges prejudice, and saves and changes lives. We follow the editorial standards and values of the BBC, but we rely on donor funding to carry out our work. To find out more, please see bbcmediaaction.org.
The project assistant will be expected to provide administrative coordination support to the project team and staff at partner radio stations with whom BBC Media Action is collaborating to deliver the UNICEF-funded responsible parenting and family care (RPFC) project. The project aims to improve communication between parents and children, encourage greater male involvement in parenting and strengthen systems for reporting child abuse or neglect at the community level.
The successful candidate will be based in the BBC Media Action office in Dar es Salaam with frequent travel to the project’s focal regions of Mbeya, Iringa, Njombe, Songwe, Kigoma and Zanzibar.
- Manage communication with all partner radio stations to ensure timely production and broadcast of project radio shows and provide reports to the project manager to measure the shows’ impact.
- Facilitate payment of production stipends to partner radio stations and ensure that relevant information has been submitted to the finance team to make payments on time
- Keep an accurate record of equipment issued to staff at partner stations and maintain communication on proper usage
- Coordinate plans for training sessions and workshops in line with BBC Media Action procurement policies and procedures
- Work closely with the operations team to ensure all project procurement is in line with BBC Media Action guidelines and donor requirements
- Manage logistics for project activities, including visits by BBC Media Action staff, partners and donors
- Maintain a database of project information and reports
- Compile information for monthly reporting and donor reporting
- Ensure documents and reports relating to radio production and training are stored appropriately on the office shared drive
- Maintain regular contact with key staff at partner radio stations to ensure timely delivery of project and research information
- Contribute to the preparation of activity budgets as requested by the project manager
- Understand and comply with BBC Media Action’s Safeguarding Policy and the staff Code of Conduct
- Participate in relevant mandatory training on safeguarding and respect at work
- Report any safeguarding concerns immediately, either to the Country Director, or using the Whistleblowing Policy
- Perform any other duties as maybe required
Required skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Degree or diploma in a relevant field (such as project management, international development, social sciences)
- Two years’ experience working with international donors
- Fluency in English and Swahili
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with BBC Media Action staff in country and the UK and other key stakeholders
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation
- Conversant with Microsoft Office Suite
- Willingness to take the initiative in identifying problems and suggesting and implementing solutions
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy, together with the ability to keep sight of the broad picture
- Ability to work to short deadlines.
Closing date: 18 September 2022
Method of Application
Interested qualified candidates should submit their CV with cover letter (in English, PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role by email to: [email protected] – please include the title of the position applied for in the subject line and send by 5pm on 18 September 2022.
Only applicants with separate cover letter will be considered. Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
The role may involve working with groups of vulnerable children and adults. For the successful candidate, mandatory training will be provided on BBC Media Action’s safeguarding policy and staff code of conduct. A police background check may form part of the recruitment process. BBC Media Action operates a zero-tolerance policy concerning all forms of abuse and exploitation of vulnerable people.
BBC Media Action has zero tolerance for fraud and exploitation. If you have any concerns, please share with us through [email protected].